logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline michael2000  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:28:45 PM(UTC)
michael2000

Groups: Registered

"I want to build a valved reflux still from plans at ""Building a world class still.""
Could someone tell me, does the condenser head have a cap on it? Wouldn"t the vapor just go out the top? I did find a thread where Mountain Man asked the same question but he didn't get an answer. Thanx in advance MB"
Offline Wade  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:17:18 PM(UTC)
Wade

Okay, I am very new at all this but my thinking is that all refux columns should have a cap on them so as that you can pack them easily and have a thermometer in there.
Offline michael2000  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:04:59 PM(UTC)
michael2000

"
Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Okay, I am very new at all this but my thinking is that all refux columns should have a cap on them so as that you can pack them easily and have a thermometer in there.

Thanx for the reply. I'm in British Columbia Canada. But the thig is with this particular design the column with the packing does have a cap for the thermomiter. The condencer is conectted to the column by a tee. In the instructions they don't show a top on the condencer. again I can't help but think that with no top the vapor coming from the column will escape to the atmospere rather than be condenced back to liquid. The plans I've refered to are at http://www.moonshine-still.com/ can anyone else answer my question? Thanx in advance MB"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:25:40 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Not my type of still that I use. I do read a lot, and no those types do not use a cap. If properly designed and run, all vapor is condensed prior to reaching the top, and actually air is sucked in. Reqiers a lot of attention and tweaking i think.

I may be wrong, and some may correct me on this.

Full description and info. is given in the homedistiller.org site"
Offline laneflash  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 01, 2009 7:32:07 AM(UTC)
laneflash

"That design is dangerous for the very reason that you had to ask! It should have been made very clear in the plans that the condenser top is not sealed. It has to breath. If you closed both needle valves, where would the pressure go as the gasses expand? Also, if you shut the heat off on a hot boiler and then closed the two valves, where would it draw air in as it cooled, if the unit was air tight? The gasses will not escape if the condenser is working correctly and you have the appropriate amount of heat. Which leads me to the design.
The design is OK but I would recommend a couple changes. Buy a 3"" cap for the condenser, but drill a 1/2"" hole in the top for venting. Sand the inside of the cap and top of the condenser as to give the cap a lose fit. Drill two more holes in the top of the cap for your coolant inlet and outlet. I put barbed fittings at that point for hose removable. Make your coil(1/4""tubing) and fasten it to the fittings in the cap. Now, you have a condenser coil that can be lifted in and out of the condenser for easy cleaning, storage, inspection,and repair. Also column insulation if very important and the plan looks cool but the coolant lines soldered along the column get in the way of insulation!
One other problem with the design is cooling capacity. The small size at the base of the condenser does not allow for enough coiling coils. Instead of buying a 2x2x1 1/2' ""T"" (as in the plans) for the column, buy a 2x2x2"" ""T"". Buy a 2x4x4"" ""T"" for the condenser. Then buy a 4""x2""reducer and solder that to the bottom of the ""T"". The 2"" cap(at the bottom of the condenser) should be soldered with no space between it and the reducer. (Use a short 2"" nipple.) Now, when you form the condenser coil, there is enough room to get the coils down to the bottom 2"" cap. That will keep things cooler! Again, that is all removable by lifting it out of the top of the condenser.
One other alteration might be to add a 2"" union at the base of the column. Then you can store, clean and handle the tower with ease. You can also buy a second 2"" union and add it to a ""column extension"". Make it as long as you like. Just put it between the boiler union and the tower union.
Good Luck"
Offline Chuck E.  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 07, 2010 4:47:41 AM(UTC)
Chuck E.

"I'm planning on building the same unit and have the condenser coil mounted inside the tube as suggested and the needle valves inserted and soldered to the bottom of the collection cap. The needles and packing were removed before soldering so as not to melt the washer. I was wondering about the open top as well and don't recall much mention of it in the instructions. I was just going to sit a 2 inch cap loosely on top. Before I realized that it was open I wondered about pressure build up so I had planned to use two thermometers in the first column. One is a combination temperature and pressure valve for a heating boiler and the other will be a digital. For cooling I'm thinking of a 2 foot section of a baseboard heating element submerged in ice water in a cooler, a circulating pump and a closed system to the coil with a bleeder valve to remove air from the lines once filled.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage"
Offline richieb  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:08:01 PM(UTC)
richieb

ChuckE, I am a new member and have a problem building my condenser. Have tried several times to coil 1/4" copper and screw up every time. How can I bend the copper to fit into my 2" condenser? My system is finished except for the condenser. Please help with a suggestion or a place to purchase. richieb
Offline mtnwalker2  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 5:23:22 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: richieb Go to Quoted Post
ChuckE, I am a new member and have a problem building my condenser. Have tried several times to coil 1/4"" copper and screw up every time. How can I bend the copper to fit into my 2"" condenser? My system is finished except for the condenser. Please help with a suggestion or a place to purchase. richieb

Welcome.
The problem is kinking. I have never done this myself, but others write that you need to fill the whole tube with salt and kink the ends tightly. Do the roll and then cut off the kinked ends, attach it to a hose and flush out the salt. May take a while.

Others claim you can do the same by filling it with water and sealing the ends. It important that there is no air left in the tube."
Offline richieb  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 12:12:36 PM(UTC)
richieb

"mtnwalker2
Thank you, will try your suggestion.
richieb"
Offline Chuck E.  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:42:22 AM(UTC)
Chuck E.

I originally tried to use a larger size and that didn't work even with a bending coil. There's also hard copper and soft copper. I tried the right size of some soft copper and bent it around a piece of 2" tubing and had no kinks or problems.
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 05, 2012 2:02:57 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Again apologize for going around bumping old threads and being redundant but the plumber and I are trying to build this contraption. It appears in the plans the shield around the coil which calls for the use of 3" copper which is just slightly less than the price of gold these days..could be replaced by a strategically cut large diamter tin can. What am I missing here? Was also toying with the notion of trying to make a smaller diameter but longer coil and stuffing it into some two inch pipe. The plumber has plenty of two inch but no three inch. Also noticed somebody nagging about the cooling lines being soldered direct to the column. I was thinking to suggest to the plumber to attach the copper cooling lines with some type of spacer between them and the column at two or three places allowing the column to be insulated somewhat while leaving the cooling lines on the outside of the insulation. I like the idea the lines mount low. Figger if a person starts mounting water hoses on top it make it top heavy. Anybody got input?. Thanks.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:04:36 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Originally Posted by: richieb Go to Quoted Post
ChuckE, I am a new member and have a problem building my condenser. Have tried several times to coil 1/4" copper and screw up every time. How can I bend the copper to fit into my 2" condenser? My system is finished except for the condenser. Please help with a suggestion or a place to purchase. richieb

I found the quality of tubing makes a huge difference. I bought two kinds, once really shiney the other kind of dull in appearance. The dull stuff just wanted to kink like crazy but the shiney stuff bent like a champ.

I have seen different versions of these that run the water lines through a cap on top of the condenser, the cap is just loose fit with a vent hole. Also you can increase you condensing capicity in the same area by running a double helix coil and/or running a smaller 1/4 line coil inside the bigger coil. You could also use 180 degree fittings to make long straight runs down the the center of the coil, similar to an A/C condenser.

I am looking at building one of these for a 13 gallon milk can. As BW points out the price of copper is pretty huge. I think it came out to a few hundred worth of pipe and fittings on acklands website.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:19:22 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Again apologize for going around bumping old threads and being redundant but the plumber and I are trying to build this contraption. It appears in the plans the shield around the coil which calls for the use of 3"" copper which is just slightly less than the price of gold these days..could be replaced by a strategically cut large diamter tin can. What am I missing here? Was also toying with the notion of trying to make a smaller diameter but longer coil and stuffing it into some two inch pipe. The plumber has plenty of two inch but no three inch. Also noticed somebody nagging about the cooling lines being soldered direct to the column. I was thinking to suggest to the plumber to attach the copper cooling lines with some type of spacer between them and the column at two or three places allowing the column to be insulated somewhat while leaving the cooling lines on the outside of the insulation. I like the idea the lines mount low. Figger if a person starts mounting water hoses on top it make it top heavy. Anybody got input?. Thanks.

I see no reason a longer 2"" column wouldnt work. Its all about surface area and volume.

Im not sure how you get mounting the cooling directly to the top will make it top heavy. Or at least, any more top heavy. i think you are over thinking it.

Found this vid on youtube, not the best video quality but worth checking out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3q6S5zRctc"
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:47:51 PM(UTC)

Yeah your right as usual. I am kin to some anal retentive types. I told the nice plumber to just build it according to specs then I think..he could start turning them out assembly line style and selling them on Ebay. Plumbers aint staying real busy these days. If if dont work right I just carry it back over there for him to tweak it. That should work huh? Heard somebody the other day biotching the coil wasnt big enough blah blah blah. Lot of naggers out there in the world.
Offline badbill2  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:11:34 AM(UTC)
badbill2

Column reflux condenser should have an open top. Proper sizing of the coil and water flow will prevent 99% of any vapor escaping with the advantage of safety as well as cleaning. 1/4" od soft copper is readily available and can be tightly wound around a 1" dowel by applying heat to the copper as it is wound. This will fit firmly inside a 1-1/2 pipe. Wind it around an 1-1/4 dowel and it will fit inside a 2" column. A 3" column can take 3/8" copper wound the same way. again length of the condenser and gpm is critical for proper operation to assure adequete reflux. I personally have had great results with this type using a double plate type column. The amount of heat and water flow is variable and when these quantities are realized they should remain constant throughout the process. The mash will automaticaly adjust the temperature to match the boiling points of the liquid. You just have to watch the bottle fill up. Making Shine is not difficult if you don't get fancy, the problem is staying co-herint enough to finish cooking. Shine is kinda like good sex, if you rush it you get results but it is never as good as taking your time and enjoying it.
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:52:14 AM(UTC)

Nearly sure the condenser coil lines on the one we are trying to build are sealed. Now the top of the column comes equipped with a friction fit copper cap with a hole for the thermometer. What do you reckon would happen if we just set a 2" rubber stopper in top of the column as opposed to the cap? Seems to work just fine on the BH model and even has a hole for the temp gauge...two bucks at the home brew shoppe. Course I know the stills operate different so maybe it has to be copper right there. I'm just wondering what the cap to fit the 2" copper will cost. Also have heard it voiced several times the packing on the needle valves need to be removed and replaced with Teflon tape. Whatcha think?
Offline badbill2  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:32:09 AM(UTC)
badbill2

It would cost about 10$ but you don't need a cap. I never had a problem with the needle valve, it should never get real hot anyway.
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:05:05 AM(UTC)

Hmmm ok..thanks. I will leave the packing alone. May set a stopper on the column just to keep a June Bug from falling down in there and have a place to stick the temp gauge.
Offline LWTCS  
#19 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:47:26 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Gonna get yer best behavior if the reflux is induced at the top. It will be more helpful for establishing a more naturally occurring equilibrium and quality separation.
Cooling lines mounted low will promote smearing as constituents with lower boiling points will be prematurely condensed and dropped back into the boiler..."
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:58:00 AM(UTC)

Well thanks for that tip.