logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BREEZY46  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2009 12:02:51 PM(UTC)
BREEZY46

Groups: Registered

"Hello, I'm a newbie to this site and to the world of distilling,and I'm a little confused.If I want to make a half batch of mash- can I just cut the required amounts in half?
So hears my problem, every where I've been reading tells me set amounts of sugar-water-temps but nothing on how much yeast to use. Some say use the satchel (Turbo 48 is 135 g's) and other sites say to use only 4grams per gallon of mash. And is there anywhere I can locate the nutrients
listed i.e. diamonium phosphate ect... man I've never heard of these before. On a brighter note I did run a batch this weekend using what I hoped was a fermented T-48 . Ran it thru my still twice, and i got 85-90% abv by my alcoholmeter. Took a sip and about lost the ability to breathe. Any help would be great. thanks breezy46"
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 02, 2009 12:19:41 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
The Turbo Pure 48 has far more than just yeast in the package. It also includes all of the minerals, nutrients, and vitamins that the yeast needs in order to do its job efficiently. The yeast only comprises about 20-30g of the 135g package.
Offline Keith13b  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:07:53 AM(UTC)
Keith13b

Aruba

"
Originally Posted by: BREEZY46 Go to Quoted Post
If I want to make a half batch of mash- can I just cut the required amounts in half?

I would say yes. But my advice is to make the full 6gal mash, then store what you don't distill for a later date. I've made mashes and didn't distill them for MONTHS. As long as the airlock is in place there is nothing to worry about.

So hears my problem, every where I've been reading tells me set amounts of sugar-water-temps but nothing on how much yeast to use. Some say use the satchel (Turbo 48 is 135 g's) and other sites say to use only 4grams per gallon of mash.

(1) 48hr Turbo packet is perfert for 6 gallon fermenter. Use half of a well shaken bag if your fermenter is half that size. But you can divide it up how you want. It's just easier to use the typical beer fermenters that are 5.5-6.5 gallons in size. If you use another type of yeast, then follow the directions for that specific yeast strain and add the recommended nutrients.

And is there anywhere I can locate the nutrients
listed

Turbos come with all the necessary nutrients and are great starter yeasts. If you are not using a Turbo, then research that yeast to see what nutrients are recommended. I would use Turbo's until you feel comfortable to start experimenting on your own. But get familiar with the whole process first so you understand what is happening if you run into a problem. I've never had a Turbo get stuck, but I have had other yeasts run into problems. Sad to say, since I typically only make neutral spirits, I simply use the Turbo 48 and have NEVER had a single problem. Mash is always 18% and output is 94% - makes the run very predictable which allows me to speed things up a hair w/o compromizing taste. Find consistency in the time vs temp during your runs and you are doing great.

Ran it thru my still twice, and i got 85-90% abv by my alcoholmeter. Took a sip and about lost the ability to breathe.

I'm hoping you cut that down to 65% or less!!!!! Good luck"
Offline BREEZY46  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:02:45 AM(UTC)
BREEZY46

Keith13b, thanks for the info. I'll stick with Turbo 48. Do you use Sparkolloid to clear your mash? If so what kind of a time frame does it take on average? Thanks again for the advice, oh and yes I did dilute my first batch down to about 50%, much better.