logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 4:00:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I have the 1500W hotplate from Brewhaus, and the pro series 2 and I am having trouble getting reasonable results. I only get a decent rate of distillation when I am running in the 85-90 degree range. Concievably the problem could be partly due to the hotplate cycling, but if I run it on full to eliminate cycling I can't keep temps below 90 degrees with cooling water. Any ideas?
#2 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 4:19:00 AM(UTC)

1500W is a little more than what most 2' columns can realistically handle. Use of a diffuser plate to help level out the surging should help because it will allow you to reduce the setting on your hotplate, but the plate will average the heat. The other option is to bypass the thermostat and build a regulator that will allow you to effectively reduce the wattage without any cycling. This is not expensive ,most 1500W reostats or a voltage regulators will do this for you,, and not really difficult. The great advantage to the 1500W, though, is that it will heat you up to a working temp very quickly.
#3 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 4:48:23 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the advice. One last question: Once I get the voltage regulator working, is it better to run cold cooling water, and just control the remaining temperature difference by lowering the voltage in the hotplate, Or can I allow the cooling water to warm up, and control the temperature primarily by dropping the voltage being sent to the hotplate?
#4 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 4:57:00 AM(UTC)

It is best to keep the heat input as constant as possible, as any change here will have to work its way through the entire system, requiring time for the column to re-equalize. Try to keep your cooling water cold, and again, at a relatively constant temperature and flow rate. If the water does warm slightly, you can counteract this to a certain degree by increasing the flow rate.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2005 10:39:37 AM(UTC)

old reader.seems like a lot of dis-information coming in lately with poor spelling?