logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline adagost  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:56:12 PM(UTC)
adagost

Groups: Registered

"I'd like to purchase the Essential Extractor Pro Series 11, is anyone using it to distill grappa (from pomace or wine grape must). What is the opening size on the broiler?

Thanks"
Offline Stache  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 12:56:14 PM(UTC)
Stache

I just bought one before New Year's and have been distilling some wines that I haven't been happy with. I've made around 5L of 180 proof so far. I bought it because I wanted to make grappa also but, what I'm getting is more of a nuetral spirit. I did experiment by taking a small amount and dilluting it down to 40%. I tried it last night with some freinds and we were pretty happy with it.
Offline ratflinger  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2009 7:26:48 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

Are you running w/o the packing? That stops some of the flavor. I have added back a little juice to brighten the flavor somewhat, but then you have colored schnapps.
Offline Stache  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2009 9:12:27 AM(UTC)
Stache

I just tried doing a stripping run as a pot still with only the top half of the column without packing and no water running thru the hoses, it came out clear. I checked the proof after I was done and it only came to around 6 proof and tasted like it was vey watered down. Is this typical in a stripping run? I wanted to try and combine some tails with this stripping run and re-distill as reflux..........anyone have experience doing this? What could I expect for a finished product?
Offline admin  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2009 9:17:18 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Are you sure about that number? 6 proof is only 3%abv.
Offline Stache  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:21:56 AM(UTC)
Stache

I checked it twice and it seemed way too low to me also. The proof and tralle hydrometer floated right to the top and it clearly read 6 proof. Should I use this stripping run and redistill with some tails I have kept and try and get somethng better?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:41:16 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Stache,

Somethings bad wrong buddy! Your wash should have been higher ABV than that before stillin.

Did you check your OSG and final? Did you perhaps taste the finished wash? Only thing I can think of would be a stuch ferment with no appreciable ABV. to begin with.

If you had a decent ferment, those figures you ended with are impossible!

Describe your wash mixture and ferment and perhaps we can help."
Offline Stache  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2009 4:04:12 PM(UTC)
Stache

"I started with some old wines that I had which should have been between 11%-13% alcohol. I used about 6.6L. I put it into my Esential Extractor using only the top piece without raschen rings or water, it boiled on high for about 3-1/2 hours and ended up with around 1.3L at 6% when measured with my proof and tralle. I ould have expected around 35%-40% alcohol.

Do you or anybody out there know how it could be so low? The temperatur on the thermometer was around 220 degrees F for most of the run.........did I just collect water vapor?"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 01, 2009 6:31:38 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: Stache Go to Quoted Post
I started with some old wines that I had which should have been between 11%-13% alcohol. I used about 6.6L. I put it into my Esential Extractor using only the top piece without raschen rings or water, it boiled on high for about 3-1/2 hours and ended up with around 1.3L at 6% when measured with my proof and tralle. I ould have expected around 35%-40% alcohol.

Do you or anybody out there know how it could be so low? The temperatur on the thermometer was around 220 degrees F for most of the run.........did I just collect water vapor?

Hey friend, Again something is drastically wrong. Impossible. First, as former post, you could not distill a 12% wash and get a 4% distillate. Next, i is impossible to boil higher then 212° F, and that would be with pure water and no alchahol, which would lower the boiling point.

Given what you have posted, your thermometer is ascrew. Also, there is a major problem with the still. Try to pressurise your leibig condensor as a test. Make sure there are no water leaks into it, which is most likely sounding to me, or perhaps one of the water line couplings doing a very slow drip and down into the collection vessel.

To my way of thinking, thats the only 2 possobilities, as you are getting a watered down wash, below the original. IE. water is being added to the distillate. Also, the thermometer is way the heck crazy. First thing I did when I thankfully broke mine was get a digital with an alarm. Best addition i ever made to my still. $20.

Oh yes, check for leaks. The tri clamp seals, and the gasket at the top. Ethanol will escape and leave you with only water. Come to think of it, that may be the most likely cause. Happened to me once at the top gasket. Didn't have it seated properly.

These are rare, but does happen.

Hang in there and try again."
Offline jeger  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2009 3:46:05 AM(UTC)
jeger

"Quote: ""without packing and no water running thru the hoses, it came out clear""

You did leave the water going to the condenser right?"
Offline jeger  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:37:43 PM(UTC)
jeger

Offline ratflinger  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:52:46 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

"
Originally Posted by: jeger Go to Quoted Post
Quote: ""without packing and no water running thru the hoses, it came out clear""

You did leave the water going to the condenser right?

There's the answer - your alcohol all evaporated right out the condenser. Water is always on full blast through the condenser, no exceptions."