logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline starchild  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:22:35 AM(UTC)
starchild

Groups: Registered

Has anyone made their own charred american oak strips for their whiskey? if so how did it turn out?
Offline LWTCS  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 11:25:11 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

Yes and quite goodly
Offline Eekamouse  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:44:50 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

"I was also curious about preparing my own oak chips, as a large oak tree recently toppled over in my yard, narrowly avoiding my vehicle. I feel I should pay respect to the tree who chose to die without malice by preserving it in alcohol!
Are there any suggestions for a proper way to go about it?

Thank you thank you"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:10:45 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: Eekamouse Go to Quoted Post
I was also curious about preparing my own oak chips, as a large oak tree recently toppled over in my yard, narrowly avoiding my vehicle. I feel I should pay respect to the tree who chose to die without malice by preserving it in alcohol!
Are there any suggestions for a proper way to go about it?

Thank you thank you

Hopefully it was a white oak, but not likely as they seldom fall. Many oak species have a nickname- piss oaks, for obvious reasons noticed when cutting them. So before you invest a lot of time into making sticks, get an identification of what kind it was, or it might be a flavor you wouldn't enjoy."
Offline Eekamouse  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:49:26 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

"I found out it was a water oak, which DO fall quite often because of a shallow root system. So maybe not the best idea.
Thanks, mtnwalker"
Offline Eekamouse  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:51:33 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

"I may be breaking forum rules here, as this is not related to the matter at hand directly. However, it does involve oak trees (and others).
Just wondering what the leaves are like in the NC mountains right now. Last year I went with my wife in early September to visit the Penland School of Crafts, and the Blue Ridge Parkway was.....something else. I was thinking of visiting my grandparents old mountain house on Mt. Mitchell this fall, but I don't know the prime time for the color collage to start..."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:03:33 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
I may be breaking forum rules here, as this is not related to the matter at hand directly. However, it does involve oak trees (and others).
Just wondering what the leaves are like in the NC mountains right now. Last year I went with my wife in early September to visit the Penland School of Crafts, and the Blue Ridge Parkway was.....something else. I was thinking of visiting my grandparents old mountain house on Mt. Mitchell this fall, but I don't know the prime time for the color collage to start...

I live above the Parkway and it is green yet. A few trees with just a blush of color, but they are the ones that don't get briliant. Another few weeks I'm guessing. We have had almost daily rain this year, whereas last year was drought and an earlier than normal color change."
Offline Eekamouse  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:22:04 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

I am looking forward to being back up there. While I grew up in Florida, I always visited my family who lived at the uppermost housed area of Mt. Mitchell. I think that is some of the most beautiful country in the US, despite my bias. I remember Asheville, Sliding Rock, and going "gemming" when I was a little kid. I also remember the streams being freezing, and often containing giant gray wolf spiders perched on the next rock I was going to use as a step. Awesome! And by that I truly mean awe-inspiring. Now I am thinking of attending Penland for a few blacksmithing classes
Offline Eekamouse  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:49:52 AM(UTC)
Eekamouse

but I digress. and wax nostalgic. Didn't mean to divert from distilling discussion.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:50:59 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
but I digress. and wax nostalgic. Didn't mean to divert from distilling discussion.

How could that be off topic to distilling? You are describing the mountains of the Smokies with all those hidden streams and springs and all the good heating wood laying around. You were just explaining why the Smokies are smoky! LOL"
Offline Bushpilot  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:27:08 AM(UTC)
Bushpilot

How is Red Oak for aging with ?