logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Ghankra  
#21 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:06:14 AM(UTC)
Ghankra

Groups: Registered

turbo yeast im usin calls for 8kg per 25 liter, only sugar thats slow to react with the turbo im usin is the dark brown sugar, all the others work their magic quite nicely, tasters choice i guess, im quite fond of it :)
Offline heeler  
#22 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 6:26:39 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Oh yeah, I'm sure its good. I've used that yeast before and it did'nt fail to impress. Again I'm not saying its wrong just too sweet for me.
Offline Phildude  
#23 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:50:06 AM(UTC)
Phildude

I just put a batch on 25l of water, 2kgs of white sugar,3kgs of dark brown sugar,4kgs of fancy molasses,46grams of bakers yeast and some hickory wood chips..its fermenting like a champ, its just a burping.
Offline Lifesavour  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:51:30 PM(UTC)
Lifesavour

"I am stuck in the Magic Kingdom (Saudi)..... limited supplies....

Found a nice 900 gram jar of sweet sugar cane dark molasses, added this and 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) of sugar to water....

Brought it UP to 5 liters and am fermenting in the original (plastic) water jug...

I did add some nutrient I brought in.... and am using RED STAR champaigne...

After 7 days it is still bubbling fine???

I have a pressure cooker - thumper (olive oil can) - coil........

What I read is that I can expect 1 liter of RUM from this???

Will throw off 150 ml or so first drops... then collect in 400 - 500 ml segments....

Planning on charring white oak (if I can find it) [too bad I can't use sand] and 2 weeks in aging glass!!!

THOUGHTS???

PRISONguy!!"
Offline LWTCS  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:39:14 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"You will collect roughly 1/3 of your boiler charge. That's before cuts.
Save your Dunder and add 25% back to your next ferment.
Keep doing that and in three four generations you'll have a nice tasty rum.
Good luck dude."
Offline Lifesavour  
#26 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:04:50 PM(UTC)
Lifesavour

The ferment is still going fairly strong after 11 days??? When do I stop? I've read after 3-4 days.... 1 guy said 21 days???
Offline LWTCS  
#27 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:16:59 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Its done when its done.....Thats always hard to cope with when ya got no dranking stock built up.RollEyes

I found the red star sluggish...

Let it finish. When bubbling stops or slows to a crawl,,,give your wash a good stir to degass the co2. This solids will drop quite nicely after degassing.

Give a taste (don't swallow). If its sweet,,, its still workin off. If dry like dry wine ,,it's done."
Offline Lifesavour  
#28 Posted : Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:45:49 AM(UTC)
Lifesavour

"Prior to this in Saudi, I would just make a sugar ferment with some fruit like 'grapefruit at the top.... bakers yeast.... in 10 days I would cap the bottle and let it carbonate....

Drink it cold.... still sweet, much like a 'wine cooler'.... but sometimes it could not your socks off... but the buzz was a heavy one (from all the unwanted SH_T!)

I also do a fresh ginger ferment... the ginger really speeds up the fermentation!!! Quite nice ginger beer' ... ha BigGrin"
Offline Lifesavour  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:15:10 PM(UTC)
Lifesavour

"Really nice sweet flavor! The burn is quite long too (after you swallow).

Noticed that I got a smokey flavor towards what I called the end (no blue flame)... I have no thermometer.

I stopped and opened the boiler.... quite a bit left and it is rather sweet!!!

hmmmmmmmmm

Maybe I'll try to ferment again???

The original ferment was 14 days......."
Offline Lifesavour  
#30 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 8:01:19 PM(UTC)
Lifesavour

"Ran my 2nd RUM ferment.... I used this red concentrate called VITMO - syrup to mix in water??? Some molasses & sugar too.

Definite red hue to the wash.

Made another nice tasting product..... but interesting - the 1st 200ml was pinkish to almost reddish....

Then when I got into the Heads, it became clear???? hmmmmm

I am liking the flavor of the rum as it comes out.... so I try to 'cut' it with good water and the result is not tasting as good???

hmmmmmmmmmmm Confused"
Offline Lifesavour  
#31 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 8:13:42 PM(UTC)
Lifesavour

"Ran my 2nd RUM ferment.... I used this red concentrate called VITMO - syrup to mix in water??? Some molasses & sugar too.

Definite red hue to the wash.

Made another nice tasting product..... but interesting - the 1st 200ml was pinkish to almost reddish....

Then when I got into the Heads, it became clear???? hmmmmm

I am liking the flavor of the rum as it comes out.... so I try to 'cut' it with good water and the result is not tasting as good???

hmmmmmmmmmmm Confused"
Offline LWTCS  
#32 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:46:16 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"[COLOR=""Red""]I am liking the flavor of the rum as it comes out.... so I try to 'cut' it with good water and the result is not tasting as good???[/COLOR]

Was that a single run? Or did you strip first? How big is your boiler? And the boiler charge?"
Offline Lifesavour  
#33 Posted : Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:24:36 PM(UTC)
Lifesavour

"
Originally Posted by: LWTCS Go to Quoted Post
[COLOR=""Red""]Was that a single run? Or did you strip first? How big is your boiler? And the boiler charge?[/COLOR]

Photo!

6 L pressure cooker (filled with ~ 4 L )

It was a single run, I was making cuts based on TASTE & volume - mL.....

Shucks, it all tasted so damn good I ended up with 80% in a drinking vessel and had some buds over....

No one complained.... but I just FEEL the taste from my small spoonful sampling's as I RUN... to the 'cut' stuff.... Quite a change!!! Maybe I am too HARDCORE (after living in Ukraine?) I liked right off the worm!!!!!

1 thing to remember, WE have nothing else.... so most stuff is very drinkable!!!

Thanks!!!! Cool

ps - ICE is a problem here too... limited freezer!! No cool running water!!"
Offline LWTCS  
#34 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:57:18 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"So the problem is that your boiler is so small and as a result your run is gonna smear pretty good as things happen quickly on a small boiler.

I would highly recommend that you strip first as fast as your condensing capacity can handle...And then dilute to 40% or less and re-run. You'll want your stream as thin as you can get it....perhaps even a broken stream to try and get a much cleaner mouth feel........
The drip drip drip speeds are fine for some folks but to annoying for me.RollEyes

This will mean extra work and time with that small boiler,,plus the fact that you are sharing with your friends,,,you may find it difficult to keep up with demand as a typical boiler charge is only gonna give you a third in yeild before cuts.....But to me would be worth it for the better quality.

Can you get a bigger boiler?"
Offline Lifesavour  
#35 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:37:27 PM(UTC)
Lifesavour

"...... if I have FOOD & SUPPLIES I usually do not leave my apartment much (except to swim - ha)

I can see my ""drips"" from where I surf the internet.... I can adjust to drip, drip, drip...

Maybe I wasn't clear.... I threw out the 1st 100ml or so... then collected in 150 - 200ml stages.... tasting, checking (blue flame) ALL Good.... so after 150ml Fore's.... I just kept adding to my main bottle.... then when the taste changed and the flame went.... I put that into a Tail's and stopped!!!

I like the taste.... very nice in fact (for me) ..... but it changes so much after I add water??? So a 2nd RUN will make a large difference? Will try!!

Tempted to leave it as it is for me!!! No Cutting! I will be able to sell this stuff - 750ml for around $75!!!! My 1 run knocks the local SH_T out of the water!!!

If I find white oak & make a spiced/aged ADMIRAL!!! $100!!!!!!

Thanks!!!"
Offline LWTCS  
#36 Posted : Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:20:46 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Second run will definitely be better. And a 40% boiler charge will be more forgiving on your water as boiler temps will start out lower.
If you are now collecting at a drip speed with your rig then your product may never be any better unless you double run. It is just so hard with a small boiler."
Offline Lifesavour  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:12:04 PM(UTC)
Lifesavour

"I have decided that I will just do ONE run... last night at the poker game I broke open a 1 run bottle of rum that had been cut and was in the 'frig for about 8 days... it had melded together and was pretty good!!!

So this morning I am 'running' 2 separate 5 L ferments.... the 1st comes off clear and just like the others I have done!!!

The 2nd (did not change out the thumper) was the same ingredients except I had used 50% of the sugar - 1kg sugar not 2, and the 900 grams molasses. So only the sugar changed - I did notice this jug was a lighter brown color??

So here I go on the run.... and it came over BROWN! Not clear!!! And I collected 40% more!!! Tastes good... and I like the color.... but why??? Confused"
Offline LWTCS  
#38 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:16:31 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Puked over
maybe running too fast or all the sugars were not done fermenting and she foamed up and puked over.
rums do that"
Offline mr. x  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2011 8:37:23 AM(UTC)
mr. x

so say i do this making 15 gal first would be what my wash would be percentwise 18-20 ish? making my yeald uncut at 90 thatd be like 4 gal i have never done this stuff before im trying to do all my research and stuff a few times over and make sure i know what im doing then i cut to almost double that?
Offline LWTCS  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:55:26 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Hi Mr.X,
So the thing is that if you keep your target down around 8-10%,,,,,,no more than say 12-14%,,,,you'll get a much nicer quality drop.

I use balers yeast,,,,,but some trust worthy associates tell me that a good hot fermenting ale yeast does a real nice job on the rums."