logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sparky  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 2:31:49 PM(UTC)
Sparky

Groups: Registered

How about we start a new topic titled " Show off your Still" might help some of us get some new ideas from the picks.
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 8:18:17 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"
Originally Posted by: Sparky Go to Quoted Post
How about we start a new topic titled "" Show off your Still"" might help some of us get some new ideas from the picks.

If you show yours, I''ll show mineOhMyGod"
Offline Sparky  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 20, 2010 11:55:04 AM(UTC)
Sparky

Stay tuned, pics coming.
Offline Sparky  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:41:36 PM(UTC)
Sparky

"Here she is, Haven't given her a name yet but working on it. I built this reflux all from scratch, a Sheet Metal company I use rolled the Stainless Boiler for me, A Plumbing Company I use provided all the Copper for the Column, and I welded it all together.Of course I owe everyone a sample or 2. Found the drawings and Specificatios on the Website below. I have since added a thermometer in the bottom section of the Boiler

http://www.moonshine-still.com/page2.htm"
Sparky attached the following image(s):
DSC_0014.jpg (94kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
DSC_0013.jpg (98kb) downloaded 10 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:12:55 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Sparky check mine in the --- Beer keg goin electric thread-- its not a show stopper but it sure works for me. Hey if you got someone that will weld for you - you might give some thought to adding a hot water heating element to that and going electric. You can dial in the temp and that makes it really easy to hold steady --- more so than gas. I'm not knockin you still just sayin think about it, it sure made it easy for me and a more reliable constent heat. Mine still sits on a gas stand (i do use the gas for heatup) but I use electric now and man oh man, thats the ticket.
Offline Sparky  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:26:21 AM(UTC)
Sparky

Heeler that looks pretty cool, I will probably go electric later. I'm going to check into the controls some more. Right now I am using my fish fryer burner with a LPG Needle vavle on it, I can keep it within 5 degs. I would like to have a full keg of that Foster though, LOL
Offline Sparky  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:23:51 PM(UTC)
Sparky

Here is the Thermometer I added, I welded my half collar about 1/3 of the way up from where I thought my water level would be. I wanted to see how my lower temp and my temp at the top of the collum compare with each other. I am going to go ahead and weld another half collar in and plug it for now, to add a heating element later.
Still07.jpg (90kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

Offline Sparky  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:26:47 PM(UTC)
Sparky

OK Scotty, where is yours?
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:02:10 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
OK Scotty, where is yours?

Mine are toys compared to the ones shown but ill playBigGrin"
Offline scotty  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:07:09 PM(UTC)
scotty

"UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I use the same towers for both. the tower in the picture has been extended by one foot so i can pack that portion with coper mesh. they both are internally heated now."
Offline Sparky  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:51:58 PM(UTC)
Sparky

Scotty, is that a rectafier for your heat control, if so how tight can you dial in your heat? It's not how the still looks, it's how good the still works.
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:56:49 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Scotty, is that a rectafier for your heat control, if so how tight can you dial in your heat? It's not how the still looks, it's how good the still works.

I set the variac back to 90 volts and can controll the drip rate very easily. I am sold on voltage control devices.
it is so steady that You can fall asleep waiting for the temperature to change.

I just purchased one of those remote thermometers so i can watch tv or read in a comfortable spot instead of stareing at the temperature waiting for it to rise.

all of the gizmos are because i got the variac un wired and untested from ebay for $40. I built my present system around that.
I think the ideal setup would be internal 240 volt elements with a 240 volt variac but this is my toy for now.

Well at present, i am having a 6X20 ft deck constructed. the main purpose being a place to run the stills and mashing operation.
The deck has 2 direct line recepticles. One is 120 volts and the other is 240 volts

The 2 gadjets you see are designed to work in conjunction and both have a volt and ammeter.

The little box will plug into both the 240 and 120 volt outlets. A switching relay in the box changes the output voltage from 240 to 120 when i reach about 170 degrees. ((IT IS MANUALLY SWITCHED FOR NOW)) maybe at a later date i will wire in the PID control.

The brewhaus still has a 6kw/240 volt element which naturally will run on 120 vots at 1/4 rated wattage.

The variac is a 120 volt device so it is plugged in series with the 120 volt line only.
I have found that when i reach temp. going back to 90 volts seems to work for my rigs. i tweak the voltage a bit as the operation progresses."
Offline scotty  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:15:53 AM(UTC)
scotty

"MY still are a 6.5 gallon mile hi rig and one of brewhauses 7.5 gallon rigs.

i wanted something over 22 gallons because when i make a wash i usually end up with a clarafied 7 gallon batch.

So i will be forced to convert a 100 qt stainless stock pot to a boiler.
My plan is to install 2 or 3 electric heat elements at 3 diferent hieghts in the pot. Each one or at least the top one will have its own on off switch in case i want to run only 2 batches at a time.

i want to get the new 3 inch high performance tower to use with tthe new 25 gallon rig.

Lord willin and the crick dont run dry.

Im 69 years old last week an heve a few health issues.. We musnt never be foolish and think we shal live forever.

I GET A GREAT DEAL OF ENJOYMENT FROM THIS WEBSITE AND ALL THE FOLKS THAT POST HERE

[SIZE=""5""]THANKS ALL [/SIZE]BigGrin"
Offline scotty  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 1:24:34 AM(UTC)
scotty

"HEY SPARKY
Please tell/show me how or what you used to seal the top on your rig. I am trying to think of what to use for my stock pot rigs. i intend to build a small one too. about 4 gallons.

I dont want to use flour. My left hand is not as operational as i would like it to be so i need something permanant/easily installed actually that comes off with the lid or stays with the pot. as a sealer if i can find something.:)"
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:01:54 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage"
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline Sparky  
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:26:49 AM(UTC)
Sparky

Scotty, here is a picture of the material that I am using, it is a white rubber that is suppose to be good to 200 degs. and it is FDA Approve for food use. I know I am pushing it's limits, but if it works ok I won't have to go to a high heat silicone. This rubber material is real plyable and easy to seal off when you tighten it down. I will let you know how it works out, making a batch this Friday.
DSC_0023.jpg (91kb) downloaded 11 time(s).

Offline Sparky  
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:29:40 AM(UTC)
Sparky

How well does the insulation work on the cookers if your using propane to cook with, does it burn it.
Offline LWTCS  
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:42:33 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Its also in my gallery.

Although It has been modified from this version a bit.

The stubby column section atop the larger the in-line thumper is now a 4"" peice of copper rather than the 1.5 in the pic.

Figger'd you fellers seen it by now?"
LWTCS attached the following image(s):
quad thumping unit.jpg (98kb) downloaded 13 time(s).

Offline scotty  
#19 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 1:59:01 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
How well does the insulation work on the cookers if your using propane to cook with, does it burn it.

The cajun is the one with that info.
as far as gasket material goes, i will need the equivelent of a 2 foot O ring. for the top of the 100qt boiler/stock pot."
Offline scotty  
#20 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 2:07:42 AM(UTC)
scotty

"I know when i went from an external 1500 watt hot plate to a 1500 watt internal element, it originally took 1.5 hours to heat up the 7 gallon boiler. it usually takes me 2.5 hours to get the 6.5 gallon boiler up to the
170 deg.F./prox 78C> range

So far 1 hour saved but at 120 volts only--- when i finally get rigged to use 240 volts and 6kw internal for heat up i guess the heat up time will be much less.

I wonder how quickly the B.R. gets his rig up to temperature with that blast furnace that he uses OhMyGod"