logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline starchild  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 6:30:12 AM(UTC)
starchild

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone, I'm new to making spirits and would like to make a 100% rye recipe. My thinking is to mash in at 150 degrees with 1qt per lb of grain, and let it convert for 1-2 hours. At that point I would add cold water to get the temp down to 65 degrees and add beer yeast for a beer between 6-8 abv, then double with a pot still. I would then use medium toast chips for color & flavor. What do you think?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 12:28:18 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: starchild Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to making spirits and would like to make a 100% rye recipe. My thinking is to mash in at 150 degrees with 1qt per lb of grain, and let it convert for 1-2 hours. At that point I would add cold water to get the temp down to 65 degrees and add beer yeast for a beer between 6-8 abv, then double with a pot still. I would then use medium toast chips for color & flavor. What do you think?

Will make an excellent whiskey. What most people don't realize is you have to have a roller mil or grinder to expose the inside of the grains to the gelatinizint and mash. I always made mine with dehulled rye grains so not as much tannins and so easy to run through my roller mill. Just a slight crack and not into a meal so easier rack at end of fermentation. Bit more expensive to buy, but without the hull, you need a lot less grains. Either way, with the chaff or dehulled the grain needs to be cracked or ground. You cannot get a good and proper mash otherwise. Barley Malt or package enzymes both work will, but are needed. Rye malt will work if you can find it."
Offline starchild  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 1:51:19 PM(UTC)
starchild

I'm a beer brewer for 25 yrs and have all the equipment. I just need to get the process down and get the recipes and aging together. I hear that 2 yr old rye is excellent. So that's what I aim to do.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:59:10 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I want to try some Rye whiskey before I make it. Does anyone know the name of a good rye whiskey. And just so ya know, ya gotta try the Crown Royal Black......I hope I can get close to that stuff.
Does Brewhaus sell rye for making mash??"
Offline starchild  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 4:14:31 AM(UTC)
starchild

There are lots of good rye's. Sazerac 6yr old is around $23. They call it baby Saz. Cuase they make an 18yro also. Some people like Rittenhouse around $16, they make an 80 & 100 proof. I really enjoyed Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye $35. Brewhaus sells flaked rye, but I'm going to use malted rye.
Offline bjjfiter  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:17:47 PM(UTC)
bjjfiter

OK I'm a total newb but it seems to me I've seen a rule of thumb of 2 lbs. of grain per gallon of water. Is this right? The reason I ask is that I have a relatively small stock pot so I have to make a concentrated mash and then add water in my fermenting bucket. But a quart of water per lb. of grain seems crazy high. What's the reasoning behind it?
Offline starchild  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:38:28 AM(UTC)
starchild

1.5 qts per lb is better. Otherwise it's too gummy if your using just rye.