logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline VinceA  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:27:26 AM(UTC)
VinceA

Groups: Registered

"I'm new to the forum and to making grappa. I do make wine and have a reflux still. After I pull my juice I'm going to referment the skins to make a second wine and grappa. I have a merlot/alegante blend of grapes are there any other things I need to add in order to make a good grappa?

Thanks,

Vince"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:11:37 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: VinceA Go to Quoted Post
I'm new to the forum and to making grappa. I do make wine and have a reflux still. After I pull my juice I'm going to referment the skins to make a second wine and grappa. I have a merlot/alegante blend of grapes are there any other things I need to add in order to make a good grappa?

Thanks,

Vince

Welcome!

Its my understanding, in Italy at least, the red wines are fermented with the skins. The wine is racked off and the fermented skins are then used to make grappa. Water is added and the skins all goes into the boiler. A false bottom is needed, or as the original way was to apply a thick coating of grape stems on the bottom and the pomace on top of that to prevent scorching.

If you ferment the skins seperately then rack the wine to the boiler you will be makeing a brandy, not grappa.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong."
Offline VinceA  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:07:25 AM(UTC)
VinceA

"Thanks mtnwalker2 for a quick reply!

My still doesn't have a false bottom but I will place the stems on the bottom per your advice, after the wine is racked off I was going to add water, sugar and yeast to referment the skins then after fermentation distill the skins. Is that correct or do I just distill after I rack the wine off and not do the second fermentation?

Thanks again,

Vince"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2010 10:23:22 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: VinceA Go to Quoted Post
Thanks mtnwalker2 for a quick reply!

My still doesn't have a false bottom but I will place the stems on the bottom per your advice, after the wine is racked off I was going to add water, sugar and yeast to referment the skins then after fermentation distill the skins. Is that correct or do I just distill after I rack the wine off and not do the second fermentation?

Thanks again,

Vince

Yep. The commercial or larger winemakers have tons of pomace. You might check around for a loca winery. If useing your own in a small batch situation, your plan should work well. It will not be real grappa, but might make a nice ad enjoyable drink. Maybe better, grappa is the peasants drink. Cheap and at almost no cost.

If I were you, I would aim for higher quality brandies and mixed brandies. Much more enjoyable in the long run. And you don't have to worry about the lining of the bottom and the scorching issues.

One of my favorites and easiest is rasberry, white grape and concord mix. All done with canned Welches frozen juices. Flavor comes across really well."
Offline VinceA  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:38:48 AM(UTC)
VinceA

"Thanks so much for your advice I'll give it a try and post how it all turns outBigGrin

Thanks again!

Vince"
Offline VinceA  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 03, 2010 6:49:14 AM(UTC)
VinceA

"Well I finished distiling my grapes and what I came out with was a clear distilate at 160 proof. I was surprised that my boiler didn't burn at the bottom when I finished distilling. I put my skins and stems in first then loaded the rest of the way with juice. The aroma was great! I then cut it to 80 proof with distiled water. From 15 gal of refermented grapes I ended with ~ 5 gal of grappa, that's after I cut it. I ordered a barrel from Gibbs brothers which I'm going to age it in for 6 months or more. My question is do I need to do anything else or am I done?

Also, can I add essence to my product to make a different liquor?

Thanks Vince"
Offline helenth01  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:33:02 PM(UTC)
helenth01

The people are loosing their moral while becoming modern. The society needs to be attentive that moral value. Well, it shocking and needed and immediate attention to short out at the earlier.
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:27:12 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

please be carefull with aging in small barrels. 6 months may give it too much oaking.--