logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline apw100  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:08:34 PM(UTC)
apw100

Groups: Registered

"Here is the rig I'm looking to purchase. I already have fermentation equipment(hydrometer, fermentation tank, etc). I will primarily be making whiskey, but I'd like to try my hand at other spirits too.

Any comments or recommendations?
Anything else I need?
Will the 3"" column speed up distillation when configured as a pot still? Thanks!

- Brewhaus Essential Extractor Pro Series II High Capacity still w/ premium kettle($404)

- 1500w hotplate($109)

- Harbour Freight variable speed router control($20)

- Alcoholimeter($5)

- Oak chips, activated carbon, whiskey yeast

Total: $555"
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:53:58 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Heres a little tip.........read,read,read and then read some more. Study so you'll be happy with the end result. You got all these goodies but do you understand how to use them all???? Just keep reading and you'll get all the advice you need here.
Offline just_me  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:23:59 AM(UTC)
just_me

You don't need the carbon.It will remove flavor in your whiskey.

Just Me
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other
Offline apw100  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:06:30 PM(UTC)
apw100

"Well, I have decided that I can't really justify spending the extra $100 for the high-capacity still.
I was going to simply buy the pot still since I'm going to be making whiskey 90% of the time, but the PS II is only $10 more, so I think I might get that.

How good is the PS II in pot still configuration? Also, how good is the pot still only configuration? Would I be better off just buying the boiler and making my own pot still column and condenser?"
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:15:08 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
Originally Posted by: apw100 Go to Quoted Post
Well, I have decided that I can't really justify spending the extra $100 for the high-capacity still.
I was going to simply buy the pot still since I'm going to be making whiskey 90% of the time, but the PS II is only $10 more, so I think I might get that.

How good is the PS II in pot still configuration? Also, how good is the pot still only configuration? Would I be better off just buying the boiler and making my own pot still column and condenser?

I have both & they are about the same. I will tell you though if you don't get the High Capacity column you will wish you did later on. I know I wish i would have."
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline tikisteve  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:04:54 PM(UTC)
tikisteve

"Same here, I've been using my PSII for about 3 years now and I wish I had gone with the Hi-Cap. My last run in reflux with 25 liters of 50% that I had previously stripped, took me over 14 hours to collect 12 liters of my final product with the ABV averaging at 93%. I just might have to break down and get the Hi_Cap with that new boiler and cut my stripping, pot and reflux times down.
TS."
Offline whiskey101  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 2:07:13 AM(UTC)
whiskey101

I too just purchased the High capacity (still waiting to ship )- started Wineos sugar wash 2 days ago its bubblinbg away-- getting ready to start UJSM and let it percolate-- getting excited about my first run .....
Offline mtnwalker2  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 8:17:09 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"I bought one of the very earliest HC units a good many years ago. I have been very happy with it. However last winter I decided to purchase a new one, as I wanted to run stripping runs at the same time I was doing a spirit run, and sometimes my distilling times are very limited.

Same dang price, but what improvements. My old one was so- so welded, had roughness on the inside, and the pipeing wasn't near as polished as the new one. The old hoses were shit, but the new ones are fantastic. The liebig condensor is 6"" longer- a vast improvement. I use both on kegs over propane.

I had put 2 grain washes away in the garage last March and totally forgot about them. Decided to run them today. Different grains, one oat groats and the other regular rye, unmalted cause I had a bag. Just did an UJSSM with them and forgot them out in the garage closet. Still on grains....Was sure I was going to have vinegar or really off tast, but the beers smelled good and tasted better. Just finished stripping them both. Got a heck of a surprise. I had used whiskey yeast with AG and all the grains were spent. Got a gallon of 58% from the oats, then switched to my 250ml glass testing tube before shutting it off, as it was getting way bland tasting. Filled it and just tasted it at correct temp. and it was still 36%. Sampled both in middle run and both were fantastic. actually better than normal runs. I only used the old top half column as the other is packed. Each run took 2 hours and 30 min. Start to rack into boiler to shutdown, and I could have run it much faster. I ran it this slow as I wanted to sample the middles. I must confess, I have a 220,000 Btu burner, so I get up to boiling pretty quickly. took a gal. off the barley, but haven't tested it yet. Great flavor off my dipped in finger though. Both are very smooth and flavorful for a stripping run. I think I will do this again. Can't wait for the spirit runs. This is where the HC unit excells as a potstiller as well as a reflux. Column size eguals speed, column height eguals purity (if going for neutral), as well as the reflux potential at the top of the column. No way you could buld a better one cheaper unless you had all the copper tubeing of the same size free. Even then, it might be close.

My dollar 380 opinion."
Offline just_me  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 9:43:43 AM(UTC)
just_me

I regret not buying the HC unit.
Just Me
The days are long and the years are short! Live life to the fullest as NOBODY has ever come back!!!!!!!!!
Offline whiskey101  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 10:12:39 AM(UTC)
whiskey101

Yes I agree- Mtnwalker that sounds exciting -- I am so ready to run my first -- Cant wait ,Unit will be here next week but wash prolly wont be ready LOL !! running water test will put me in the right mood tho- I am ready to make more Mash as I type -- I will have morre then I can run oh well ...... with all the reading (foxfire books as of late ) I really want to do old style after a few runs - make the sprouty corn and all
Offline mtnwalker2  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 17, 2010 10:24:24 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"I regret not buying the HC unit.
Just Me
The days are long and the years are short! Live life to the fullest as NOBODY has ever come back!!!!!!!!!

Aye, Just Me~ Thats why I bought the second HC keg unit. I want lots of good spirits ageing on oak and have little time sometimes to do it. I am hopeing to leave a heritage to my kids, Now my grandkids to enjoy some of my creation during their weddings, kids birth for the celebration of others, not for the nursing mom etc. Anniversaries and such long after I am gone, but a remembrance of me. Well aged and spectacular ambrosia i hope. this is my hobby and Swan song. Hopeing to watch the activities manyp years to ome. I would love to produce enough that my great, great grandchild could offer a taste of mine. twould be nice in aged, then sealed glass carbouys. awaiting the festivities. Thats my goal as well as making whiskey's that are totally unusual in the world of commercial distillation."
Offline tikisteve  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 20, 2010 10:17:25 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"After 3 years of using my ESII and reading about the High Cap.ESII, I finally broke down and ordered it today. I figure I can work a couple of saturdays on overtime and pay it off. I'm still sticking with electric just because the deal with an open flame. Looking forward to its arival and learning how the best way to get the most out of it.
TS"