logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline old stump juicer  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 12:05:28 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

Groups: Registered

Where is the best site to purchase ferminters? I like the products I've purchased from brewhaus but $15 seems a little expensive for a plastic bucket.
Offline Schue  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 1:01:23 AM(UTC)
Schue

"Unless you have an airlock and a food grade container already.....

15 bucks is a pretty reasonable price."
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 2:06:58 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Schue Go to Quoted Post
Unless you have an airlock and a food grade container already.....

15 bucks is a pretty reasonable price.

Agreed, I have 7 ferminters from Brewhaus. I found them to be high quality and top notch.
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline just_me  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:32:59 AM(UTC)
just_me

any container with a pp5 on the bottom is suitable for a fermenter.i use 2 sterilite containers. i havent used a airlock in years.

Just Me
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a
full house and four people died."
- Steven Wright
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:54:06 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

most buckets are around 24 dollars and up
Offline reptile  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:31:45 AM(UTC)
reptile

I started out using a bayou classic stainless steel turkey fryer I drilled holes in for an airlock and a submersable heater and "sealed" with 14 clips. After all that I relised it was overkill and did not work as well as "$19.98" truebrew fermenter buckets from the local brew shop. No airlock just_me? I'm a newb but from how fast that airlock is bubbleing I would think the lid would blow off if I didnt use it.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:57:23 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: reptile Go to Quoted Post
I started out using a bayou classic stainless steel turkey fryer I drilled holes in for an airlock and a submersable heater and ""sealed"" with 14 clips. After all that I relised it was overkill and did not work as well as ""$19.98"" truebrew fermenter buckets from the local brew shop. No airlock just_me? I'm a newb but from how fast that airlock is bubbleing I would think the lid would blow off if I didnt use it.

Old timers didn't use air locks. didn't need them. A good cover to keep out the rain, bugs, rats etc. was sufficient as there is a build up of CO2 which is heavier then air makeing a cap of gas. Just need to be ready to run it when ferment stops and before the CO2 dissapates.

Many times when i do a mash or wash like wheat germ, it is so violent that the airlock could clog, and blow up with some serious force. I put a knapkin or paper towel over the hole and a quarter on top to hold it down. Twould work in a keg or any other fermenter. The CO2 makes its own seal against O2. Just have to seal it enough with gauze or whatever to keep fruit flies and critters out, then either seal when finished or run it."
Offline reptile  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:09:15 AM(UTC)
reptile

So my turkey fryer setup would have been fine because it did keep the fruit flys out, I would bring it inside to open the lid because the fruities would swarm around it even with an airlock. I was always worried about air getting in but if I do look back at the old timers they would store their wash in far worse conditions than a garage in Minnesota. I'm still doing neutral spirits using turbos with the ps II but I have now decided to order a ps II HC column and a triclamp adaptor because the new hobby has stuck. In this hobby the past seems to hold the future!
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:52:40 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: reptile Go to Quoted Post
So my turkey fryer setup would have been fine because it did keep the fruit flys out, I would bring it inside to open the lid because the fruities would swarm around it even with an airlock. I was always worried about air getting in but if I do look back at the old timers they would store their wash in far worse conditions than a garage in Minnesota. I'm still doing neutral spirits using turbos with the ps II but I have now decided to order a ps II HC column and a triclamp adaptor because the new hobby has stuck. In this hobby the past seems to hold the future!

If you really enjoy this hobby. switching to a HC column is the snartest and time saveing thing you could do. It will improve your product and cut the times down tremendously. I just did a 15% turbo which finsished in 3 days. I needed som neutral for some tinctures I wanted to make with herbs. Degassed, added sparkaloid and was ready 24 hours later. ran a half batch in my keg, 6.4gal. and took with really cold spring water gravity fed 3 hours. That was useing a Bayou 224,ooo BtU cooker, very slow heads run, then fast for hearts. When approaching tails just spe it up. I save all heads and tails for a later neutral run so no loss. Got 3 qts. of neutral 95% for my useof hearts. This wasn't from a strip and then spirit run. Didn't have the time. Its so very clean i don't even consider carbon filtering.

You will enjoy your new hobby tool."
Offline old stump juicer  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:14:23 PM(UTC)
old stump juicer

"Well guys I ordered two ferminters a racking cane and another alcohol meter, since I keep breaking them.
I hated to spend the money while I'm out of work but enough whinning, when I get back to work I'll be on the road again and no chance to use it anyway!"