logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline billybob  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:12:07 PM(UTC)
billybob

Groups: Registered

"After many many runs with my reflux and fine tuning my spirits to a superb taste I am wanting to play a bit. I ordered supplies for a Amazing Plastic Still to test 1 single still. Understanding the idea behind this technique and wanting to make my still do all the work instead of me, I decided to give it a go!

Mash time is about 6 days with the Turbo48 including clearing. So I am going to make a batch and put this thing to the test and see what comes out.

The goal is to have 3 of these running for 6 days and and put out ~ 18L of 45%abv from a single pass of around 75L of wash and run it through a short filter process as it drips out of the condensation bucket. Season to taste and consume BigGrin

So, can I do it? Can I set this up and only have to change out the wash in the 10L bucket each 24 hrs or so and not have to watch over my reflux like a mother hen for an entire day? The whole idea here is not the premium taste of the spirits but more along the line of ""acceptable spirits"", and lots of it!

Heck if I can do this I'll make my personal stash from my reflux and my give-away in bulk Tongue

Anyone want to chime in on this? Is it a wast of time?

thanks
BB"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:33:21 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Billy Bob,

This would certainly make for an easy stripping run. You will be collecting all the foreshots, heads, and tails along with the hearts.

Hangover haven and upset stomach even worse than the cheapest store bought stuff. Filtering once just aint gonna cut it.

Suggest you just run it, put in storage with some bakeing soda, and run more till you have enough for a regular spirit run. This way, that one run, will produce about 3 times the hearts that just running an initial mash would.

And you would have something to give away that will make your friends happy."
Offline odiekokee  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:54:08 AM(UTC)
odiekokee

"So this plastic sunstill (that's what they're called in survival training for collecting atmospheric water and dew) would do for a first run so that you have a more concentrated semi-mash to run through the actual still?

I'm new at this whole thing, and I'm trying to decide which reflux type, or fractioning, to build.

Trying to get the whole theory in my head, I've only done potstill and basic runs at that."
Offline billybob  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2009 3:42:20 PM(UTC)
billybob

"Update:

I purchased a heater from BH and built the rest with containers from the local resteraunt supply.

I ran turbo 48 and let it clear mostly then poured off the partially cleared in to a new container and then ran clearing agent. Point was to get a water clear wash to work with. It worked.

I took a heat gun to the 30L pail to give the lid a dome shape. Help to run the evaporation down the sides. I did wrap the internal 15L container in the insulation purchased here at BH as well (just a FYI).

About 10 hours in to it I have a little less than half L and I couldn't resist so I pulled off a shot glass, swirled it around a bit, cooled it and sipped it.
So far it is VERY clean. A single Carbon pass will make this quite good if the quality is maintained throughout the 9L run this will supposedly produce.

Now don't get me wrong, my EE2 hearts are better! But this is good so far. Not enough to check the ABV yet but it is tasting maybe like a crisp clean 40+ ABV so far.

Reading between the lines and using the Turbo 48 the off flavours produced as yeast byproducts are truly minimal which is why the builder and author says this works as well as it does.

I'll catch everyone up after the first 3L is pulled off in a day or so.

And yes! No babysitting required (yet) :)

billybob"
Offline billybob  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:24:21 AM(UTC)
billybob

"Update:

Today I pulled the distillate from the tub and it measured exactly 40% ABV and just shy of 3L. Not bad! No unpleasant oders. I bottled it after a good shake and will let it air for a bit before I seal the first 3L.

I will complete this run with the 25L of mash I prepped for it.

Tomorrow morning I will fire up the EE2 and run the other 25L through it. My EE2 runs are typically a little hot so my distillate is ~175+ instead of the 180+ I get when I run it slow. But I'm OK with that, I just pay attention to my cuts and all is well.

Note: I'm not going to do any charcoal filtering until after all runs are completed. I want to pour off a jigger of each at 40% ABV and slowly sip and see if they are both enjoyable."
Offline rick2014  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:36:56 AM(UTC)
rick2014

I'm interested as well about this? Am wondering about fors and tails? I've been drinking many beers and wine in my time and I figure it's probably not filtered and has the fors and tails in it as well! The tails with distilled items tough but, at the temps in the amazing still it might not be noticed?
Offline Blanikdog  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:09:33 PM(UTC)
Blanikdog

"I'd use a proper still. Good luck.

blanik"
Offline LWTCS  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2010 11:50:09 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"
Originally Posted by: rick2014 Go to Quoted Post
I'm interested as well about this? Am wondering about fors and tails? I've been drinking many beers and wine in my time and I figure it's probably not filtered and has the fors and tails in it as well! The tails with distilled items tough but, at the temps in the amazing still it might not be noticed?

Rick,
Please say that one more time as the very last part of your post sounds,,,,,, incorrectly communicated. Or at the very least, incorrectly interpeted."
Offline therd3  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:53:05 PM(UTC)
therd3

"
Originally Posted by: billybob Go to Quoted Post
After many many runs with my reflux and fine tuning my spirits to a superb taste I am wanting to play a bit. I ordered supplies for a Amazing Plastic Still to test 1 single still. Understanding the idea behind this technique and wanting to make my still do all the work instead of me, I decided to give it a go!

Mash time is about 6 days with the Turbo48 including clearing. So I am going to make a batch and put this thing to the test and see what comes out.

The goal is to have 3 of these running for 6 days and and put out ~ 18L of 45%abv from a single pass of around 75L of wash and run it through a short filter process as it drips out of the condensation bucket. Season to taste and consume BigGrin

So, can I do it? Can I set this up and only have to change out the wash in the 10L bucket each 24 hrs or so and not have to watch over my reflux like a mother hen for an entire day? The whole idea here is not the premium taste of the spirits but more along the line of ""acceptable spirits"", and lots of it!

Heck if I can do this I'll make my personal stash from my reflux and my give-away in bulk Tongue

thanks
BB

i WAS LOOKING AT THIS AND WAS UNABLE TO FIND A HEATING UNIT FOR A GOOD PRICE. OPPS Capps on sorry."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 4:15:51 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: billybob Go to Quoted Post
After many many runs with my reflux and fine tuning my spirits to a superb taste I am wanting to play a bit. I ordered supplies for a Amazing Plastic Still to test 1 single still. Understanding the idea behind this technique and wanting to make my still do all the work instead of me, I decided to give it a go!

thanks
BB

EGADS! You will have all the hangover, headache and yucky tummy that you would get with cheap wine. Heads and tails to boil your insides. You could use it to make low wines then run a large batch through your reflux, get good quality and save some effort. Try it and see."