logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Buck36  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 1:23:27 PM(UTC)
Buck36

Groups: Registered

Does anyone use a Turbo Stomper still from Paul?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 1:50:23 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: Buck36 Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone use a Turbo Stomper still from Paul?

Never heard of it. There are some good small makers out there and some really bad one. don't order one unless you get some real comfermation they work well. I personally like a still coumn that breaks down and will do pot stilling as well.

Want better answers, send a link, so people here can better advise you."
Offline just_me  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 6:09:27 PM(UTC)
just_me

i have heard of it by stilldrinkin.it is pot still with a glass doubler.when the glass thumper breaks it is going to start a huge fire.they have pics showing refluxes and warning against them.go to newdistillers or distillers and search the archives about them.if you buy from them use a creditcard so you can recoup your money. would advise brewhaus if you want to buy a unit.
Offline LWTCS  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 03, 2010 8:44:10 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Never seen one in person. Only pics. It's not a keeper.

Plenty folk pissed at this fella...........More than one can count.

Buyer beware."
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:48:46 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Wild claims for a poor product. Research into distilling methods will expose the hype.
Offline mtnmap  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 5:09:53 AM(UTC)
mtnmap

I have a small one and am going to build a larger one from Stainless milk can. I also have a couple of different brands of stills, I like them all but when my hooch ferments properly I get the best shine from the Turbo Stomper. I know they are cheesie for the money but the idea is sound and they work great. You can buy the plans or get the plans from Paul's web site and build your own out of better materials. I suggest using Stainless to build one.
Offline heeler  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 6:40:34 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I think that website is shut down, just look at the pics and build your own. Its really not that difficult to replicate and you will like your own creation better. But if you decide to buy dont hold your breath cause from what I 've read he's not in a hurry. You will get it but no time soon.
Offline mtnmap  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 02, 2010 8:10:02 AM(UTC)
mtnmap

"Heeler,
I think he's down also, or in moonshiners jail who knows I'm just kidding. I do have one Paul's small one, and plan on building a bigger and better from my Mile high reflux. they both work great. You can buy everything you need from Home Depot."
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:45:41 AM(UTC)
heeler

Well almost everything...... I had to drink alot of beer to get my keg, and 2 inch copper was alittle tougher to find than I first figgered. (Home Depot or Lowes dont carry 2 inch copper) But I did copy the basic configuration of that turbo stomper. I kinda like the inline catchall idea but have heard some say its a no no. Also I'm not quite sure it's double distillation...... but I still like the concept and it does show the oils in there before they hit the hooch jug.
Offline mtnmap  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 03, 2010 2:55:37 AM(UTC)
mtnmap

I like the double catch also I'm going to put two thumpers on mine. for the triple distill idea. When I see the oils in the thumper I just change jars real quick as always I dump the first 100 mL. I've been using my reflux to make first run then I do a cut and run the second thru the Turbo Stomper. at that point It should be triple distilled in theory. So far everything has been really good. 2" copper can be had at any Ace hardware if you have one near, that's where I got mine. I also have an account at the local contractors supply but a pain to go in and get onesie and twosie type things. I wonder what the no no's are for using the thumper jars.
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 03, 2010 7:35:23 AM(UTC)
heeler

"The fact that its glass and it gets pretty hot, hot enough to break so I'm told. Hope I dont find out the hard way.
As for as oils in the thumper -- thats tails oils, at then end of the hearts you'll see a cloudy haze in the thump juice so I know I'm done with the stuff to keep for drinkin."
Offline Crazer  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2012 1:49:55 PM(UTC)
Crazer

"I know several people that have use this design and the stills seems to work well. I am in the prosees of building one now (Double Thumper)
Ill let you know how it turns out."
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 11:45:20 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

This is design i copied. The smaller stove top version though. Didnt bother with the tilt either, seems like it wouldnt really help reflux since any liquid is going to run down the side of the column instead of dripping down through copper scrubbers. Works great. Mashes come off at about 78-82% and sugar washes around 85-88%. About a 1/2 litre an hour flow rate.

You guys are paranoid about the glass. They make glass cookware and most lab equipment is glass. Mason jars are tempered and meant to be boiled during canning. The only way they are going to break is if you splash some cold water on them and even then they won't likely shatter.

The one downside is the jar will fill up during the run. Using a 22qt boiler(pressure cooker) 3/4 full you have to shut the heat down somewhere mid run cause the jar is almost full. No biggie after a couple minutes with the heat off a vacuum forms in the boiler and the fluid sucks back out of the doubler. I think this causes some decent reflux cause proof always seems to go back up a couple points when it starts flowing again after the heat is back on.

Also mason jars are great at holding heat. I don't know why but i noticed this one morning when i went to make tea and was short a cup. Used a mason instead. Normal routine is make tea then grab a shower, its cool enough to gulp and go. With a mason jar it was still way to hot to drink, even 20 minutes later.
Offline heeler  
#14 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 1:24:46 PM(UTC)
heeler

"Guys, I too used this design for one of my columns and it did perform, the unit was not the problem it was the salesman. I understand people waited a long time on his product even after talking to him.
The mason jar for the thumper did work and it did fill up slowly. And of course it got hot, after a while I just dumped out most of the liquid (leave enough to cover the down tube ) put it back and continue to run.
I built the vertical and the slant model and if you root through the forums you can see both units. As I say that design did work but I have since built something else.BigGrin"
Offline Crazer  
#15 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 1:30:43 PM(UTC)
Crazer

"ohyeahyeah

I agree with your glass statment the jars are designed to take much higher temps the it takes to get achohol to boil.

My buddy empties (With approx 25% left in jar) the jar with heavey leather gloves while the run is going, it takes just a second or two and does not seem to interupt flow."
Offline Crazer  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 1:42:35 PM(UTC)
Crazer

"would you mind sharing what design you prefer?

The build is half the fun.......I have a feeling I'll be building a another :)

This is a great forum!"
Offline Crazer  
#17 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 2:01:38 PM(UTC)
Crazer

"Turbo Stomper with some mod's... Drain in bottom, removable power cords, casters, support rod at end of condenser, clear tubing to condenser and Stainless steel flange (Thanks Scott! you rock out...)

Crazer

UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage"
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#18 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 2:12:41 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Yeah i guess i could use gloves to take the jar off. But would still have to turn off the steam engine since we are talking indoor stovetop.

I agree Crazer, the build is half the fun. Already got a 13gal milk can for next build. Want to do a valved reflux column or double reducer vertical overflow reflux for neutrals and a copper tulip cap and column for the ever more important whiskeys.
Offline Crazer  
#19 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2012 2:17:19 PM(UTC)
Crazer

"Eyeh The best of both worlds!

Trying to figure out how to link photos... I'll get it..

I would love to see pic's when your done!"
Offline heeler  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2012 6:55:34 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Crazer,
awsume parrot, and great tower build!!!!!
I did the single thumper build on both mine. Which do I prefer...??? Well since I sold both and dont use either I would have to say the straight up model. Dont know why .. just cause.
I found with mine I had to run the heat up alittle more than you might think to push through the thumper of course, but its not really a problem just something to note. Once equalliberium takes place it will produce just fine.
I aslo used the same keg you are useing and later on I converted it to electric with the internal heating element. loved it......
With your parrot..what size is the column and the coupling on top. I might just build something else too."