logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dsmith  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:46:28 AM(UTC)
dsmith

Groups: Registered

"Hi,

New to the forum. I have a bokabob design homebrew 1.5"" x 42"" reflux unit which gives me about 12ml/min when running from scratch, not a stripping run. This is slow. I'm trying to figure out if I'd get any more from the PSII and PSII HC and how much more when I do one run from scratch, not a stripping run and can I expect 90+ % on the first pass? Sorry if this is posted somewhere already.

I'm just looking for a faster solution but only one one pass as I really don't want to do multiple runs.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks, Duane"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:33:34 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: dsmith Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

New to the forum. I have a bokabob design homebrew 1.5"" x 42"" reflux unit which gives me about 12ml/min when running from scratch, not a stripping run. This is slow. I'm trying to figure out if I'd get any more from the PSII and PSII HC and how much more when I do one run from scratch, not a stripping run and can I expect 90+ % on the first pass? Sorry if this is posted somewhere already.

I'm just looking for a faster solution but only one one pass as I really don't want to do multiple runs.

Thoughts, comments?

Thanks, Duane

Welcome Duane,

For speed as well as quality, the HC is the way to go. With my old turkey fryer I would spend over 2 hours to full heat up, useing 50L in a keg. Take heads of slowly, then run takeing a gal./ hr off dureing the hearts run.
About the same for tails. Total run avg. around 7 hours. I have unlimited very cold spring water which helps. I just got a 10"" cooker that will heat 50 L in 15 min. This should make very short runs for me. Always 93+. I have a ps II pro but I never use it. Way slower.

HTH."
Offline div4gold  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:22:13 PM(UTC)
div4gold

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
Welcome Duane,

For speed as well as quality, the HC is the way to go. With my old turkey fryer I would spend over 2 hours to full heat up, useing 50L in a keg. Take heads of slowly, then run takeing a gal./ hr off dureing the hearts run.
About the same for tails. Total run avg. around 7 hours. I have unlimited very cold spring water which helps. I just got a 10"" cooker that will heat 50 L in 15 min. This should make very short runs for me. Always 93+. I have a ps II pro but I never use it. Way slower.

HTH.

Dang mtnwalker2, those are some good numbers. What BTU cooker did you get?"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:17:06 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: div4gold Go to Quoted Post
Dang mtnwalker2, those are some good numbers. What BTU cooker did you get?

Its a Bayoyclassic 10"" burner. I got the heaviest a newest model as it could possibly do a very large keg. Its 224,000 btu as opposed to my old one of around 54,ooo, if working perfect. the needle valve will supposedly shut down enough to cook pancakes on a super large cast iron skillet or such like I have, or simmer a huge pot of chile. Pretty dang cheap actually, and its heavy duty, and heavy to carry around. But should last forever if taken care of. I like to cook and can foods outside also, though occasionally with the weather like its been here, inside also.

Just shareing part of my learnign experiance that works for me. Others may vary."
Offline dsmith  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:54:01 AM(UTC)
dsmith

"Hi Mtnwalker,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like an awful lot of output from a stripping run. I was more interested in the approximate output from a single reflux run on say a 10% wash. Any ideas there as to what to expect?

Thanks, Duane"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2010 11:44:11 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Hi Mtnwalker,

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like an awful lot of output from a stripping run. I was more interested in the approximate output from a single reflux run on say a 10% wash. Any ideas there as to what to expect?

Thanks, Duane

That was for a single run reflux. 50 L in a beer keg. Heads a fast drip, hearts and thereon a nice stream. If my water wern't so icy cold, it would probably i am sure, take a good bit longer.You get over double the refux action and ability with a 3"" column as opposed to a 2"". Also, more hiegth for better quality."
Offline dsmith  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 4:35:02 AM(UTC)
dsmith

"Thanks for this , thats pretty impressive. Whats with the need for a ""water control system""? Looking closer it looks like there is a condenser in the column and one in the output arm? So you need to feed both?

How does this setup work?

Thanks, Duane"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:50:23 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Thanks for this , thats pretty impressive. Whats with the need for a ""water control system""? Looking closer it looks like there is a condenser in the column and one in the output arm? So you need to feed both?

How does this setup work?

Thanks, Duane

The ones in the column are used to give yoou reflux. The more water and colder, the more reflux. From 100% down to what collectable speed works best. Total to begin with then slow for fores and heads, then speed up for the hearts run, then none for the feints."
Offline dsmith  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:02:03 AM(UTC)
dsmith

"Thanks Mtnwalker,

Is the condenser in the output arm necessary or at least the water connection to it? Does this further clean the spirit other than cooling it down before collection. Not sure I understand why you need two cooling sources.

Duane"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:01:08 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Thanks Mtnwalker,

Is the condenser in the output arm necessary or at least the water connection to it? Does this further clean the spirit other than cooling it down before collection. Not sure I understand why you need two cooling sources.

Duane

If you don't want the buzzards in the sky, so drunk they can't fly, you better cool those hot vapors down to liquid form. Also to prevent an explosion. Takes a lot of energy absorption to convert a gas to liquid. Thats its purpose.

There is a great encylopidia, {Bible for distillers). Do a google for Tony Ackland, Home Distillation of Alchohol. Or go to yahoo groups, new distillers and read the files esp. FAQ. Twill answer most questions in a way that is easy to comprehend."
Offline dsmith  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 1:14:24 PM(UTC)
dsmith

"Thanks Mtnwalker,

Am familiar with Tony's site and the other forum. Just trying to decide whether I want to build a new unit or buy one. Copper is spendy these days. The one I have works fine it's just slow and I just got a beer keg so I;m looking to upgrade.

Duane"