logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2006 9:54:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

When double distilling, on the 2nd. run do you cook it all the way out?
Thanks Jim
#2 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2006 5:33:17 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

When I double distill I take the product from the first run and dilute it with water then yes you run the product all the way out. I still collect foreshots, heads, middle than tails.
Offline edbarcik  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:53:14 AM(UTC)
edbarcik

Groups: Registered

is there a reason to double distill, better quality spirit?
Offline Keith13b  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 01, 2009 9:53:01 AM(UTC)
Keith13b

Aruba

Words can't describe how much better it is!
Offline Wade  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:41:19 AM(UTC)
Wade

You will get a much better product and be able to determine cuts much easier also improving on your already better product.
Offline docmj  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:17:56 AM(UTC)
docmj

"Hey
Every body says to put the heads and tails back in for the final distillation, if we keep doing this time after time it looks like we will have a lot of the junk we are trying to eliminate,
Please add input.
mj"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:24:33 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: docmj Go to Quoted Post
Hey
Every body says to put the heads and tails back in for the final distillation, if we keep doing this time after time it looks like we will have a lot of the junk we are trying to eliminate,
Please add input.
mj

Depends/ For rums, yes the way down tails. For whiskeys, perhaps if you are an excellent taster.

Heads and tails contain a great quantity of excellent etahanol. They can make a great neutral. When enough is aquiered>

They can also be used to flavor future grain distillations, but the cuts must be maintained proporly. This is what make our product better than store bought."
Offline jimmy.23  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:21:22 AM(UTC)
jimmy.23

"
Originally Posted by: mtnwalker2 Go to Quoted Post
Depends/ For rums, yes the way down tails. For whiskeys, perhaps if you are an excellent taster.

Heads and tails contain a great quantity of excellent etahanol. They can make a great neutral. When enough is aquiered>

They can also be used to flavor future grain distillations, but the cuts must be maintained proporly. This is what make our product better than store bought.

As Im starting to make Rum,Should I be saving Heads and Tails for next run or will it lessen the quality"
Offline ratflinger  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:41:21 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

"
Originally Posted by: jimmy.23 Go to Quoted Post
As Im starting to make Rum,Should I be saving Heads and Tails for next run or will it lessen the quality

As long as you are making the proper cuts your quality will always be there. You are simply recouping spirit that would have been lost otherwise."
Offline jimmy.23  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:16:50 PM(UTC)
jimmy.23

ok Thank you
Offline LWTCS  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:20:09 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Also, adding back as well as using a multiple generation rum recipe, you will after a few generations develope a full flavor and a repeatable consistant product.

Make good cuts and aged on chared oak and,,,and,,,am I the only one getting thirsty?Wink"
Offline jimmy.23  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 02, 2010 3:56:58 PM(UTC)
jimmy.23

"
Originally Posted by: LWTCS Go to Quoted Post
Also, adding back as well as using a multiple generation rum recipe, you will after a few generations develope a full flavor and a repeatable consistant product.

Make good cuts and aged on chared oak and,,,and,,,am I the only one getting thirsty?Wink

Do you save and add the rum oils that apparently follow the tails as I have read"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2010 3:45:14 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Here is an authorative and imformative read for makeing rum.

http://distillers.tastylime.net...t_2386924_Rums/index.htm

This is from Harry's library in new distillers."
Offline LWTCS  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:59:41 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Certainly that is an excellant read. Very informative. Seems geared towards getting some insight to how the big boys operate and replicate.

I am not qualified to dispute any of the methodology, but I do know that reading that publication is not requiste for a newcommer trying to get started on a rum cycle.

Good rum cycle, bad rum cycle. Maybe, maybe not.

No matter. Good read. Thanks for posting.
L.T."
Offline jimmy.23  
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2010 8:14:44 AM(UTC)
jimmy.23

Thanks will take a look
Offline $Shine-On$  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:01:16 PM(UTC)
$Shine-On$

i hear and read so many people talk about making cuts and i think i understand the concept but im a lil lost on how to tell when your heads end and your middle begins and when the tail start and i hear people say to use your tast and smell but to be quit honest im not sure i know what im smeeling or tasting for or if i would even know it if i tasted it or smelled is thier no a safe bet or amount to do on a run???
Offline mtnwalker2  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:26:16 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: $Shine-On$ Go to Quoted Post
i hear and read so many people talk about making cuts and i think i understand the concept but im a lil lost on how to tell when your heads end and your middle begins and when the tail start and i hear people say to use your tast and smell but to be quit honest im not sure i know what im smeeling or tasting for or if i would even know it if i tasted it or smelled is thier no a safe bet or amount to do on a run???

Lots of posts on this lately.
quite simple and learning curve as well.

Collect all the run in 300 ml increments , numbered let sit for 24 hours with coffee filters over the jars and air. Start with the middle jar collected, the middle of the hearts. Dilute a taste to drinking strenth, taste and smell.
go down the jars to the earliest doing same. You will hit heads with finger nail smell and off taste. Then go up till wet cardboard or off tasts start, as well as off smells. Learn and remember those smells. Several runs and you can do it as the still is running. always dilute for best results."
Offline LWTCS  
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:50:09 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Heads can also be characterized by a kind of fruity smell. Lots of new stillers get tricked an asume this is good. Some like to blend small amounts back. Me.....I stir clear if I can.

Hearts will be the most nuetural smelling of your collection jars.

Tails can can be characterized by a cardboard,wet dog, old shoe,,,,,,stank.

Early tails can be very pleasant and some like to blend back with.

Some folks make cuts by monitoring ABV alone.

Tasting and smelling can help you understand.

One of my favorite lessons:
I hear a story about a fella that may know some boys that have to still at night...in the woods....in the dark. Hard for them boys to read a thermo and a hydro in the dark. Once you learn, taste and smell gets it right everytime.

You'll get it. Just pay attention."
Offline $Shine-On$  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2010 3:33:29 AM(UTC)
$Shine-On$

thanks a bushel for the help fellers yall really helpin a young buck along!!! Thanks especially to you mtnwalker2 you really been responded right on to all my questions plus you just sound like my kinda people! Down home corn bread and milk cuntry folk!! Much ablidged sir!!
Offline mtnwalker2  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2010 4:53:53 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
$Shine plus you just sound like my kinda people! Down home corn bread and milk cuntry folk!! Much ablidged sir!![/QUOTE wrote:

Now that reminds me of an old timey recipe that I read in ""More Mountain Spirit"" by Joseph Earl Dabney. They would bake loaves of corn pone, break it up into the barrel pour in boiling water and mix. Then added some malted corn. And yes, sometimes they sweetened the brew with some sugar too.

Good read if anybody wants to know how it was done back when. Brandies and all."