logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Sugarshine  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2008 1:39:46 PM(UTC)
Sugarshine

Groups: Registered

So I acquired about 1.5L of 80% sugar based distillate. It was twice distilled and came out perfectly clear. Upon cutting a small amount with spring water, it turned very cloudy. So I figured it was from the spring water, then went out and purchased a gallon of poland spring distilled water. Upon cutting another small batch I had the same results. Any solution or answers to this?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:58:14 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Hello Sugarshine,

I think what you will find, is that you went to far into tails collection. The oils while in high ABV are not visable, when diluted they give you that cloudy appearance.

Next time collect in small increments, let them air overnight, then combine by taste.

An old trick that sometimes helps, is to put your cut spirits into a narrow necked (liker bottle) set in the fridge overnight. Be sure and fill it all the way to the top. You can take a flashlight help parrallel to the surface and see the oil on top. Use a knapkin or paper towel to blot off the floating oil.
Best way though is just to add it all to your next low wines for redistillation and make tighter cuts.

Originally Posted by: Sugarshine Go to Quoted Post
So I acquired about 1.5L of 80% sugar based distillate. It was twice distilled and came out perfectly clear. Upon cutting a small amount with spring water, it turned very cloudy. So I figured it was from the spring water, then went out and purchased a gallon of poland spring distilled water. Upon cutting another small batch I had the same results. Any solution or answers to this?
"
Offline Sugarshine  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 11:36:06 AM(UTC)
Sugarshine

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the tails were properly seperated but i guess there is a chance. I did let them set overnight open to the air but there is probably still some oils remaining. Is there a fix besides running it again? Will this hurt at all or just cause off color?
Offline tikisteve  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:00:04 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"I had always use distilled water. At first when I cut it with the distilled water it looked cloudy but when I looked closer it was just real tiny bubbles, after a few minutes the cut distillate cleared.

TS"
Offline Bamadan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:15:57 AM(UTC)
Bamadan

"something else that causes this is: Still to full and will spit small amounts of wash into the distillant and if you run temp too high it causes fusal oils to boil out into distillant. Also as mentioned catching too much tails.
Experience is a wonderful thing !!:)"
Offline voodochile  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:23:36 PM(UTC)
voodochile

"
Originally Posted by: Sugarshine Go to Quoted Post

i just ran into this same problem with my sugar wash. it was crystal clear, before i cut it. and had been sitting for 3 days. i used spring water, with no additional ingredients listed. i know this is an older post , but was wondering if you ever found out why it happened? did you have to redistille to clear it up? thanks for any info you can give me."
Offline voodochile  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:35:13 PM(UTC)
voodochile

just re distilled my cloudy sugar wash, and the same damn thing happened again! i re distilled it very very slowly, on low heat. and collected in pint size jars. spirits was clear, looked great. let it sit for a day, and cut it with distilled water this time. and it got very cloudy. i let it sit open for bout 10 hours, and i think it got worseCursing. what the hell is going on? i only deluded two pints at the time. so why is all of it cloudy? thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Offline LWTCS  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 2:39:42 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"I'm wondering if you ran too hot on a previous run and puked. Or had some foam up from an incomplete ferment. Then perhaps some remaining residue on your column walls are mixing during your run.

Perhaps a good douche of your column?"
Offline Jethro Bodean  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 6:57:08 PM(UTC)
Jethro Bodean

How are you deciding when to make your cuts?
Offline voodochile  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 4:25:00 AM(UTC)
voodochile

"
Originally Posted by: LWTCS Go to Quoted Post
I'm wondering if you ran too hot on a previous run and puked. Or had some foam up from an incomplete ferment. Then perhaps some remaining residue on your column walls are mixing during your run.

Perhaps a good douche of your column?

that is very possible. i did run it through the first time a little fast, it was a stripping run, i knew i was going to run it through again. if it did puke up and get in my column, and in my coils. that would explain why my spirit run got cloudy. yes. a very very good cleaning maybe in order. thanks for the help!!"
Offline voodochile  
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 4:32:32 AM(UTC)
voodochile

"
Originally Posted by: Jethro Bodean Go to Quoted Post
How are you deciding when to make your cuts?

for my head, i just throw out the first half cup. then i run it till it gets cloudy and or drops below 80 proof. i always collect in pint size jars, i usually sample every other jar, and when i know I'm getting close to the end , i will sample every jar, so i will know when it starts getting week. it almost always starts getting cloudy at about the same time i drop under 80 proof"
Offline LWTCS  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:53:13 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"In the future, make sure not to over charge your boiler. I like to run a good and fast strip as I'm always supposed to be doing something elseRollEyes

Can't put the heat to it if it's too full."
Offline Jethro Bodean  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:48:13 PM(UTC)
Jethro Bodean

I don't know what kind of a still your using but in the case of a reflux still temperature is the key to making cuts.There is a great book called Making gin and vodka by Dr. John Stone.This book covers the fundimentals of distilling no matter what you want to make.
Offline LWTCS  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:15:05 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Temps are an indicator.

Taste, smell, feel.

Collect in small jars. Let it air over night

Trust your taste buds."
Offline voodochile  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:29:16 PM(UTC)
voodochile

"
Originally Posted by: Jethro Bodean Go to Quoted Post
I don't know what kind of a still your using but in the case of a reflux still temperature is the key to making cuts.There is a great book called Making gin and vodka by Dr. John Stone.This book covers the fundimentals of distilling no matter what you want to make.

i will check out that book. im always looking for good infomation. im running a pot still. working on a reflux still nowBigGrin thanks for the info"
Offline voodochile  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:34:28 PM(UTC)
voodochile

"
Originally Posted by: LWTCS Go to Quoted Post
Temps are an indicator.

Taste, smell, feel.

Collect in small jars. Let it air over night

Trust your taste buds.

thanks for all the good information. practice makes perfect. im already looking forward to my next run"
Offline mesavage  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 7:40:35 AM(UTC)
mesavage

Did you filter your product thru a charcoal filter? If so I think it may be that it picked up some fuel oils which clouded your product when diluted.

Edited by user Monday, April 22, 2019 7:42:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified