logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline pj_lily  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 4:01:26 PM(UTC)
pj_lily

Groups: Registered

"Hey All,
Ok. So this Topic has gone unresponded to, so I thought I'd dip my wick first. This is dedicated Mountain Walker John, who got a big kick outta it as he was 3000 miles away.

Guideline Discovery #2: Whatever you do, start in the am.

Excited as I was about the two 25 liter buckets finally finishing off the day before, I was even more excited that the Super-Kleer I bought and was using for the first time worked as advertized. I'm sure that clouded (no pun) any still fetal good judgement I had acquired because with what turned out to be a 40 liter combined and cleared wash - I charged my boiler at 8pm.

My first previously hard earned guidline was ""Always Heat Slowly"". So with that in mind I did. By midnight I was kinda hungry and the temp really hadn't risen that much (I really took early guidelines to heart), so I thought I'd ""just pop into the kitchen"" for a bite to eat.

Guideline Discovery #3: Never leave the still when it's running.

My first guideline came about with a great rush of temperature in the boiler and the column cap popping off. I would dive in cussing and fretting and lower the flame and put the cap back on. No real harm done..... Well this time, while in the kitchen, I heard the dreaded clang of an errant column cap and did my cussing as I went outside.

Now, the flames that greeted me, would have been shooting from the column I'd guess 'bout 10 feet high - if I hadn't had the still under the porch. Instead, I had flames rolling along the underside of the porch and out towards me. Any of y'all ever see that movie ""Backdraft""?

The column was, at this time, issuing flaming liquid at really, I thought, an overly excited rate. As it rained down, still alight, a flaming pool had begun to collect all around my propane tank, setting up a super neat little fire that I would need to get through to turn it off. Gee, which to do first? Put out the truely magnificent column fire or brave the flames of hell around the gas tank? Come to think of it, my scrambled eggs were burning at this point as well, but way low on the priority scale.

Given my life to that point I decided to brave the flames from hell and have a go at the tank. Yes, it hurt. But wouldn't you know it - luck was on my side! (laugh and die, it's actually what I thought). I indeed turned off the gas. Still had to put out the flames surrounding it though. And let us not forget my still Flaming Column of God.

Guideline Discovery #4: Have a proper fire extinguisher on hand.

Any of y'all married? Wife got a nice old quilt? Family heirloom. Probably came over in a covered wagon and before that the Mayflower? Ya. I grabbed it. Don't know what it was doin' outside, maybe I ran inside, don't remember. But I began wacking away with that hundred year old piece of cloth to Great Success. Stamped my revenge on those flames like a boy peeing in the snow.

Now I certainly don't know what the original Quilting Bee Circle of Long Dead Spinsters would say, but I continued upwards, and shit yes the flames were still coming out, to the top of the column, and giving a prayer to Red Adair (look him up) I capped that Inferno in no less than six tries. Y'all be pleased to know I still donate regularly to the Q.B.C.L.D.S.

There is the other half of this story I am happy to relate, but I think I have gone on long enough not knowing if I've bored y'all. Besides, all this talking has got my throat parched...

Ya wanna hear the other half, lemme know.

Very Sincerely Yours,

PJ Lily"
Offline brew  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 7:21:36 PM(UTC)
brew

I could see that as plain as day. Now I know everyone says fire extinguisher, but you can go one better. A 5/8 inch garden hose will dillute a home still volume of flammable distillate in less than a minute, in most cases. The faster the ABV is cut, the faster its out with plain water.

Now I never gave the prize quilt credit, but I will keep it in mind. When my buddy got his woof, all was burned off at the start, and he only needed a cover on his jar. Same thing, got hungry and looked the other way.

Its a good thing it all worked out. lots of folks panic and it gets away from them.

lets hear the other half.
Offline brew  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:50:12 PM(UTC)
brew

OK I have waited around long enough. Lets hear the rest of the story!
Offline brew  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:51:15 PM(UTC)
brew

PJ? you there?
Offline bronzdragon  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2007 2:17:11 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"Well, as a guy who is just getting interested in this hobby ... stories like this really put me on notice, of what the possibilities are.

Time will mend the fire wounds, and you can paint your porch ... but I have a feeling that you'll be hearing about that quilt for the rest of your life.
RollEyes

~r~"
Offline Skymeat  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:38:09 PM(UTC)
Skymeat

"Sounds like you came through with an important lesson and a good story. Glad you didn't have a worse accident.

Like any lab apparatus, attention is mandatory.

The fact that there haven't been more tales of woes and disaster is probably a good thing. It shows that this is a perfectly sane hobby.

My 2%. Not that it means anything, as I have yet to make my apparatus and do a run.

Skymeat"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:28:08 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Hey PJ,

I still think of Moses everytime i recall that story!

And yeah, the rest of the story- Paul Harvey."
Offline Wade  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:42:00 PM(UTC)
Wade

ROFLMAO! Sounds like a story i teel when I was younger and living with my parents and sneaking a cig in bed until I fell asleep with the butt stil lit!
Offline Bamadan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:42:01 AM(UTC)
Bamadan

"reminds me of the time that I went to answer the phone, came back and just fumes billowing out my spirit hose. I didn't know what to do first, I was expecting a large explosion due to the fact my still is in a 10X12 building.
Thankfully nothing happened and got the flame shut off, had to get a drink though. I've never left the still since. Lesson well learned."
Offline Wade  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:49:16 AM(UTC)
Wade

" I've never left the still since. Lesson well learned." You really must leave that still for just awhile, at least just gp take a shower lease!:)
Offline MikeVagg  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:29:36 PM(UTC)
MikeVagg

"Last week I dropped a 5 gal glass carboy, of 90%, in our laundry room.

I turned off the water Heater, well pump, and any thing else that might spark.

I did remember that our boat, as most do, uses an alcohol stove below decks. This is because alcohol will mix with water, and become non flammable at low dilution's, alcohol fires can be put out with water.

Unlike Gasoline which will float on top and spread!

The faster you can dilute the alcohol, the faster you can put the fire out.

I didn't want to add more water to the mess, so I mopped it up, but I did take some comfort knowing water would douse any fire that erupted."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2009 11:54:16 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Ouch Mike. Bet you ;have the cleanest floor around. Hope it didn't hurt the flooring? My house was 10 years without utilities, so used propane fridge, stove hot water and heat. When a kid we had a hunting cabin that used alch. as the power for a fridge. Used to be common, but haven't seen one for sale for many years.

Good post about the water and alch. fire extinguishing."