logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:07:04 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Got this recipie from Deathwish. If you put an airlock on and bend over the fermentaer, your wish might be granted. Had over a gallon of foam boil out. Smelled nice though like an all barley single malt, with just a touch of peat. Some who have made it, claim they have enjoyed half the finished product as a raw wine, and distilled the other half. I guess I will be able to test that in a day or so. Quit the foaming explosion in about 9 hours.

Dang cheap and easy if it makes a good whiskey. Let you know my opinion soon.
#2 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2007 9:02:11 AM(UTC)

John,I started the wheat germ recipe today.
I changed the recipe around some,tell me what you think. 12oz wheat germ,3lbs extra light D.M.E.,1lb light brown sugar,6lbs cane sugar.
I used i tsp of gypsum,and 2tsps of citric acid.
I boiled it for 45min,and the last 15min I put in a tsp of irish moss.I also did something i picked up from pint o shine, i put a pack of yeast in the boil.I know everyone is thinking dead yeast,and there right.It does the same thing as adding yeast hulls,I guess.I used 2 packs of 1118,and put the bucket in a busstub just in case it gets rabies.I'll let you know if I have to get out the mop!
#3 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2007 2:52:41 PM(UTC)

Wineo,

Lordy, what a laugh, 'just in case it get rabies' I'm sure that is what mine must have had,hydrophobia, I put the second batch in the bathtub, hopeing it would be too scared of water to come out! And that one didn't.

Your recipie sound very sound and tasty. I would expect a very mild and smooth Irish type single malt flavor, which is one of my very favorits.

The Irish moss is a must do for me now, as St. Pat's day is my birthday, and anything like that just has to be incorporated into any new mash I make please give me a hint as to its properties.

Agreed the yeast hulls are fantastic nutrient, but this stuff is so full of nutriuments, its probably not necessary. Also. a question here, if doing a ferment that neeeded the extra nuts. from yeast hulls, could you not microwave or boil, the yeast cake, from say a sugar wash or other such, and have hundred of times as much?

Does not adding citric acid and gypsum, nuetralize each other? I've never used either, just citrus juices.
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2007 5:47:31 AM(UTC)

Happy birthday John, I had some irish moss from my beer making stuff so I put some in the last 15min.of the boil.{it couagulates proteins,helps with clearing,and the trub seperates better} and besides,its irish! The gypsum adds some calcium ions,and lowers ph,so it doesnt hurt the citric acid.You could use some used yeast for hulls but I would worry about the other stuff thats in with it.Besides its cheep and easy.
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:28:59 PM(UTC)

update,the wheat germ is going strong.i left some room in the bucket for foam,just in case. will add more water to it when it calms down a bit. Went to a different store today,and found some organic wheat germ in 16oz package,bought 2 of them for future use.It was cheeper than the jar kind,$2.69 a lb.The 2nd round of my corn/malt sour mash is slowing down some,probably have to rack it in a day or 2. That w/d yeast is still doing its thing.I think if you keep it active,and not let it stop,it will last for many interations.Last time when I racked it,and added some water,I put a handfull of sugar in it,and a 1/2lb of D.M.E. To keep it active while i let the stuff I racked settle for a day or two.It just started right back up the same day.By the time i did my stripping run,it was goin strong,and when I added the backset w/sugar,it just kept going! Cant wait to sample the 2nd run.
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2007 8:22:04 AM(UTC)

John,is your wheat germ done yet?Mine is still going.I cant wait to see how this stuff turns out.I hope it taste like glenlivit.{my favorite scotch}If it does,I will be making large quantitys,and and puting away for aging.
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:24:51 AM(UTC)

I'm hopeing my wheat germ will be ready to rack tommorrow and then a quick clearing. One is takeing it a bit slower go of it than the other.

That was my favorite also, until my son brought me 2 bottles from the Edinbourrough,sp, Castle, that could not be exported out of Scotland. WOW! I never have tasted anything even close, though I've looked. It was a sad day when the last drop dissapeared. Very distinct sherry tones. I have some heavy and med. oak soaking on sherry right now just in case!
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:17:54 PM(UTC)

John,I racked the wheat germ yesterday,and its fairly clear.It smells like beer,but mine is bright yellow!Im talking glow in the dark yellow.
Im going to run it in the next few days,and will be tasting it all the way to the tails,cause from what you said about the tails being early,and nasty,I dont want any of them.
wineo
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:39:47 AM(UTC)

After running the wheat germ, I let all the individual cuts to just sit for the last 4 or5 days with an occasional shake. A lot of the really funky smell and taste in the early heads have almost disapeared. Combined all the chosen cuts today, and watered down to 90 proof.

I just poured a snort, added some fresh spring water -sip- and let me tell you -sip- this is as good or better -sip- than any other that I have made - big swig. Yummmmy! Even so young.

I put half on oak, and left the other half to enjoy white.

Cheers all.
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:58:50 AM(UTC)

OOPS, I meant the early tails, not heads. See what those sips will do?
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2007 10:28:49 AM(UTC)

John,ran the wheat germ today and got a little more than a gallon.It tasted milder than I expected,with a hint of scotch taste.I collected in 12oz clear beer bottles that I have numbered,so I should have good seperation.I covered the bottles with coffee filters so it can air out for a few days.I did detect the tails early,but hopefully they will air out.I think the mildness is from less wheat germ,and 3lbs of DME.This stuff is going to be good.Going to use those wine barrel chips and see if it will make it taste more scotch like.
wineo
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:48:35 PM(UTC)

Wineo,

When I first tasted the very middle of the run, I thought it was a bit mild also, but when combined, it really has a strong finished flavour. Also, as pint pointed out, the extended boil is neccessary to extract and convert the proteins for the full flavour. I put some on oak, and to my taste the flavour has degraded a bit, but hopefully that will change with time. The ferment useing 24 oz. wheat germ is a bit stronger flavoured than the 16 oz, but that is the one that crawled out of the bucket and went everwhere. I have 2 more perking away right now. They're in the bathtub. Exactly the same, except used K1v 1118 in the first, and ec 1116 in the second, just one pack each, as seems to be explosive enough. No external hydrophobia in the first, but the second is definately rabid.

I was thinking of a touch of peated malt in the next boil? After 6 days, mine has a strong, unique flavor, that I like a lot. It ain't a scotch though. I like it much better than a generic scotch, fair bourbon, and even the UJSM which I also like a lot. Kinda like homemade buttermilk. Nothing to compare it to really. For your set-back run, try the full quantity of germs, and the full length of boil, replace part of the sugar with the DME. Also, on my first runs, I misread, or forgot and added a half cup of lemon juice instead of the 2 tsp.s of citric aacid ,I didn't have any then anyhow,, but these 2 I followed the instructions. I hope. Also, with the heads and tails added from the first run, my second was much stronger tasteing.

I'm ordering some 18 grape vines, and a number of fruit trees tommorrow, quick shipped as PJ and his wife are visiting this weekend, and meybe I can get some free labor. Of course, our rows may not be very straight, after shareing our previous labors- blind tast test, blind staggers, crooked rows. But they were all selected for their wine and brandy makeing abilities anyhow, so hopefully they will understand and adopt. Going to test these for a few years, then plant heavely with regards to what I learn.
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2007 4:19:22 PM(UTC)

John,if I had the room I would have more grapes,and blackberrys.I will in the future.Do you have any elderberrys out there?I get lots of them around here,and they make great wine.They are a natural flu preventitave,so if you are feeling sick,break out a bottle.It works on anything viral.I have 2lbs of germ,saving it for a rainy day.Have you used any malted wheat,or rolled rye.I hear that the rye is spicey,and the wheat is mild.I would like to do a mixed grain bill to make a well balanced whiskey with some spiceness and a complex flavor profile. im thinking useing equal amounts of corn and malt,and a pound of white wheat malt,2 pounds of rolled oats{feed oats} and a small amount of rye for a little spice{not too much rye}If i have to add sugar,it will be dextrose. The only part i havent figured out is the rye,cause ive never used any,and only want a hint of it.What do you think? Does this sound right for a fine whiskey?
Your thoughts on this will be greatly app.
wineo
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2007 5:47:23 PM(UTC)

Wineo,

I'm actually still a newbe at grains, but i did a fantanstic first. My wife picked me up some flaked corn, flaked rye, and flaked wheat at a natural foods mkt. I can't remember the exact grain bill, and my notes are somewhere unknown. I just tossed it all in, and used 6 pounds of malted 6 row for the conversion fermented all on the grain, rather the mush. Racked what I could, but left a lot behind. ,have better tools now,, and an ounce more knowledge. anyhow, its been ageing about 4 months on oak and is really very good already. Much better than medium priced store bought. I distress aged for several weeks during the winter. Your recipie plans sounds great. You seem to have a great grasp of potential flavour profileing.

The black elderberries are fairly common here, though haven't seen any at the farm. will just go pick some wild. Ordering 5 types of Mullberries, some plums. a quince, couple of mayhaws, and 2 Ju Jube trees. Others, I will get locally. Just a taste of each to try, and also a Paw Paw, to satisfy a friend of mine.
#15 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:28:33 AM(UTC)

Wineo:
This is a little off subject. I do alot of Elderberry wine, I was wondering if you or anyone has any suggestions on stemming the berries other than a fork or something along that order. They are sure good but a real pain because they are so small.
Jim
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:18:29 AM(UTC)

Cooker,If your getting wild berrys{not your own plants}then just cut off the whole clusters of berrys,put them in a paper sack{large} and put them in the deep freeze for 3 days.After 3 days,take the bag out and beat it on the side of the freezer 10-15 times.The berrys will be off the stims like ball berings.Pick out the stims,and put back in the freezer.The trick is,dont let them thaw out.I do this till i have enough berrys to fill a gallon freezer bag,and store them this way.Once you have tried this,you will throw the fork method out for good!I collected 12 gallons of berrys this way last summer.
wineo
#17 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:49:48 AM(UTC)

Wineo:
I have heard of doing it like that before. I tried it once, but I didn't leave them for 3 days. I will try it again at any rate. I cut the whole heads off the plants when I pick anyhow. It basically prunes them and it's faster to pick that way.Doesn't seem to hurt them. I have quite a few of them now as thet spread and the birds spread them all over.
Jim
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:44:44 PM(UTC)

It takes 3 days for them to get to the point where they fall off the stems good.Dont know why,I guess they are not frozen enough,cause the berrys just dont come off those stims as good.
wineo
Offline mtnwalker2  
#19 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2007 10:20:08 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Groups: Registered

"I have had 3 gal. ageing on half medium and half heavy toasted oak, for 2 and half months now. Nice dark rich color. Taste is fantastic.Very smooth and mellow, and almost no bite. Most like a good Irish whiskey, but much milder. Seems fully aged, but will let it continue until needed. My sons favorite so far.

The elderberries are in full bloom here, finally, and they are everywhere. I have thousands of them, and the Blue Ridge parkway, is almost a constant border of them. Hopeing to make a passle of the wine, some jelly, and a full ferment schnapps with them."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#20 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2009 1:47:08 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Groups: Registered

"Hi all.

there have been so many new distillers joining the group, wanting to make something good and easy, Thought I would post this old recipe for a wheat germ. It was one of the earliest I did, and I still enjoy makeing it. Good white or aged.

Basic recipe:

Put about 5 gal. of water into a 6 gal. or bigger pot. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat and add 10# of sugar, 2 teaspoons of citric acid, and 16 oz. of toasted wheat germ. Stir till sugar is dissolved and relight heat. Bring to a slow boil stirring occasionally. At first the boil can be a bit foamy and aggressive, just lower heat and stir. After a few minutes as it becomes or is adjusted to just a nice simmer, it will settle down. Simmer as a low boil for 90 minutes. No need to stir, but good to do occasionally. The wheat germs should be in constant motion with the simmer. Otherwise stir it up and increase heat till it does.

Pour or rack into fermenter when cool enough. Some will filter the germs out now, and some ferment on the germs as I do. Doesn't seem to make any diff.

Top off to 6.5 gal. in the fermenter or perhaps only 6....Aereate well and add a champagne yeast like ec 1118. (starter prefered but not necessary).

Place the lid on but don't attach firmly. Place a paper towel over the airlock hole with a quarter on top to hold it down. Suggest keeping it in a bath tub or a place easy to clean as this brew is violant.

This makes a fantastic beer flavor when finished. If any is left then distill it.

One easy pot still run makes for a great drink white. I usually do a single run whith only about a 10% reflux.

Seperate the heads, but retain the tails as the early tails collected in small bottles and allowed to breathe with a coffee filter secured with a rubber band for a day or 3 will become a nice inclusion to the hearts and for flavor.

Combine to taste. This is a really good and easy and cheap nice mild whiskey, and also good aged on oak.

Its a great begginers brew like the UJSM. I like this one better for my whiskey preference. Its more like an Irish or Scotch if you were to add some peated flavor.

Just thought I would pass this along to you that are new to this hobby and want to make some grain flavored drink without a lot of hassle and enzymes and such.

As I said, I still enjoy it."