logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cpt.morg  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:04:03 PM(UTC)
cpt.morg

Groups: Registered

Confusedusing abt. 25lb of apples . how much sugar? using high octane whiskey yeast, plan on using a (cooper) pot still or ps2 non reflux. ive already cut apples in small pieces an dropped a few campden tabs with a air lock until i figure which way to go. gonna start mashing asap. gonna throw a bit of nutrient, maybe pect enzyme?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:14:20 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: cpt.morg Go to Quoted Post
Confusedusing abt. 25lb of apples . how much sugar? using high octane whiskey yeast, plan on using a (cooper) pot still or ps2 non reflux. ive already cut apples in small pieces an dropped a few campden tabs with a air lock until i figure which way to go. gonna start mashing asap. gonna throw a bit of nutrient, maybe pect enzyme?

First, are you after a good apple brandy or such? Few questions here. By mash do you mean squeeze the juice out? That would be best. Hope you don't mean makeing a mash with enzymes like a grain mash? A simple trick that some use is to run the cored apples through a used or new sink disposal unless you have access to something like a vitamix. Grind it, and add sugar if you want a stronger, but less flavorable brew. Pectic enzyme is really good.
Freeze your apples before any processing. Helps to extract the juice and break down cell wall membranes for the fermenting process.

Any and all of it will work. just depends on what quality you want for the finished product. Even my mistakes have been good."
Offline cpt.morg  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:21:17 PM(UTC)
cpt.morg

well the sqeezin part didnt happen as i hoped. but a wrapped 6x6 post wrapped with plastic was fun for the night. had to make doo. freezing i will keep in mind for next time , i write down most of this an willing to try anything. how much sugar do you suggest on 25lb apples,and 5gal water? i was thinkin 10lb.(gonna prepare better nxt one ,every batch is learning )