logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bamadan  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:41:25 AM(UTC)
Bamadan

Groups: Registered

"Have been wanting to try and make a run like they made in the old days but was hesitant due to the unknowns.
I bit the bullet and decided to try one. I have no results at this time but it is working nicely outside in the 90º+ heat that we have here now.
I started with 25lbs cracked corn, 15 lbs sugar, 10 gallons water.(NO YEAST)
Started the ferment at 4 pm and the net morning at 6.am it was working slowly, 24 hours later it is working very well.
The plan is to run through pot still as slow as I can to get as much flavor as I can. It will be ran in an all copper unit over open flame.

MTNWALKER
I know you have played with several different recipes, have you ever tried anything similar to this ? I did not take any gravities or anything, just a hankerin to do it the old way and see what happens."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:20:11 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Bamadan,

Good going. Watch it doesn't get too hot and have some frozen jugs of ice ready. That much corn and a good ferment will build some extra heat and kill the yeast.

If no infection occurs, you could add more sugar, 3 gal. of backset from your first run and repeat at least 3 times or more. This should give you a good sourmash. If you choose this route, I would suggest you run the first 2 through a stripping run as fast as your still will handle, or all 3 stripped and then run them together slow with cuts in the pot still.

You might find an interesting read in ""More MOuntain Spirits"", by Joseph Earl Dabney. Recipes and how the old timers did it. Brandys and split brandys as well which I really enjoy."
Offline Bamadan  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2009 1:40:59 PM(UTC)
Bamadan

"I didn't add any yeast to this ferment MTN.
It is working off naturally. I will take lid off in AM and give it a good stirring up to circulate the corn around. It sure is fermenting better than I had thought it would, we will see how it works out at the end. I am not going with a stripping run as I am just wanting to make at least one run the old timers way, just to say I have done it. Heck,I may even
like it. I know that a long time back I tasted some very good stuff that was made in the method that I am trying. Anyway, it is just something I have been wanting to try.

By the way, MTN what has happened to Wineo ? Have not seen a post from him in a long long time."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:44:14 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Bamadan,

Yep, i understood it was wild yeast you are useing. Roll of the dice, especially in your climate, but old timers did it, so you should have good results also. to make the real ole timey stuff though, you are wanting a lacto ferment, which sometimes takes several runs of the same wash or mash to achieve. Thats why I suggested to do stripping runs on the first several runs till the actual lacto bacteria set in. I like the fresh. sweet. white dog myself if given really sever cuts, but the soured mash seems to be the favorite for most.

If you ever decide to do this again from scratch, I will give you a link to a master, Pint O shine, who shows how to start this from the very first wash. Or mash. This is what the old timers aimed for other than just a midnight run to a distant bar. Quality, I say.

Hope you plan on putting at least a bit of this on toasted oak for several months for your own enjoyment and comparison. Its worth it.

Wineo! Yea I have missed him also. We used to correspond daily. My comp. died and was out of touch for a time, and when back online couldn't reach him. No answer to posts on several forums. He's one heck of a smart cookie.

wrote the admin. of one forum he was active in and he had no answer.

I pray for his well being."
Offline Bamadan  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:01:21 PM(UTC)
Bamadan

"Had not considered oak but since you mentioned it !!
I have 5 gallons of ujsm in a charred oak keg at this time though. This is my second keg full of ujsm. that stuff only gets better and when it is at it's best the keg is empty !!!! I put about half cup toasted oak chips in the keg to speed the process just a bit.
Have you ever used glycerene in any of your spirits ?
I hope all is well with Wineo too, I sure did enjoy his postings. You are right about him being a smart cookie.
Some of his advice would be just too far over my head. He could really come up with some wild recipes as well."
Offline docmj  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 4:54:27 AM(UTC)
docmj

"Dumb question. what is ujsm ?
Hate to ask and show my stupidity but only way to learn
docmj"
Offline Bamadan  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 6:29:00 AM(UTC)
Bamadan

"Doc
The only dumb question is the one not asked.
ujsm is Uncle Jessie Sour Mash.
Do a search on this sight and you will find out about all there is about it.
It's just an uncooked sour mash from using hot backset from previous distillation. The hot backset dissolves the sugar really well, let cool before returning to the lees or else you will kill your yeast.

http://wiki.homedistiller.org/i..._Simple_Sour_Mash_Method"
Offline popapina  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 7:05:01 AM(UTC)
popapina

"I think that you should try malting the corn. I beleave thats works better.
popapina"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 7:46:04 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: popapina Go to Quoted Post
I think that you should try malting the corn. I beleave thats works better.
popapina

Absolutely, if makeing an all grain or all corn mash! Its a lot of work as you still have to crack it for the mashing. A real bugger to rack it after fermentation as well.

This is just an easy, cheap, lazy method that works for a decent corn brew."
Offline popapina  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 8:12:39 AM(UTC)
popapina

"Good things come to thoses who do it right. After I malt the corn and clean. I use a small hand grinder kind of like the meat grinders. Works great, but you will work up a sweet, still works better the just cracked corn.
popapina"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2009 8:39:35 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Sounds like you are doing the real thing. Do you gelatinize all your corn and add malted barley or save some of the malted corn for the mashing?

All corn or are you shooting for a bourbon?

Do you sour mash yours?

Yes, you are going to get a better taste going this route."