logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline stupor  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2009 5:35:57 AM(UTC)
stupor

Groups: Registered

"Hi,

I've read many posts on the easystill, and I think I understand its pros & cons, but I do have a few questions that I haven't seen asked.

1. I understand that it takes many runs to make a neutral, but what happens if I buy a cheap vodka and run it through the easystill? What proof would the outcome be? Also, how much would the product would I have to toss (or reuse) due to heads and tails?

(I'm interested in doing this since I like infusions, but 100 proof vodka is a bit pricey around here).

2. Since the easystill is essentially a pot still, how does it do with brandy? If I distill 4 liters of a decent fruit wine, do I just have to do one run? Am I right that I'd have about 1 liter of brandy after distilling?

Thanks,

Stupor"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:58:52 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Makes a great stripper for low wines. Great for the time impaired. Not a good vehicle for quality final product. Go for a quality still, or one of each for their seperate processes. Strip and spirit runs.
Offline stupor  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2009 12:08:29 PM(UTC)
stupor

Thanks for the reply. While I would like to get (or make) a bigger/different still, I don't really have the option since I live in an apartment in the city. I don't even have a porch that I could use so I'd have to do it inside.

Do you know of any better electric stills that are less than 5 gallons (storage space is also an issue...would want something around 2 gallons)? I notice that there are some available in other countries, but the only other one that I see in the US are at essentialoil.com and I haven't been able to find out too much about them.

Thanks...
Offline garyliza  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2009 10:16:55 AM(UTC)
garyliza

"
Originally Posted by: stupor Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I've read many posts on the easystill, and I think I understand its pros & cons, but I do have a few questions that I haven't seen asked.

1. I understand that it takes many runs to make a neutral, but what happens if I buy a cheap vodka and run it through the easystill? What proof would the outcome be? Also, how much would the product would I have to toss (or reuse) due to heads and tails?

(I'm interested in doing this since I like infusions, but 100 proof vodka is a bit pricey around here).

2. Since the easystill is essentially a pot still, how does it do with brandy? If I distill 4 liters of a decent fruit wine, do I just have to do one run? Am I right that I'd have about 1 liter of brandy after distilling?

Thanks,

Stupor

Hi, Stupor... BigGrin
I'm new, too, and have one of the units you referred to. You stated that it takes many runs to make a neutral. Well, IF you're looking for 90% (180 proof) product, it will take more than one run. However, IF you're just wanting 100 proof (50%), then you can do it on the first run. I've made a sugar wash, using Brewhaus' Turbo48, following the recipe on the bag. It takes more than 48 hours to work, though. I then clear the product with Sparkaloid. Placing the 4 liters in the unit, at the temperature my house is, it takes almost exactly 1 hour for the first 'foreshots' to come out. If your wash is always the same temperature, the unit will be very accurate on times that each step is accomplished. In just a few minutes, the foreshots have been collected, and I move the hose to a collection container. At 1 1/2 hours, I've collected 875ml of product
60% (120 proof). I then move the hose to another container, run for 1 hour 10 minutes, and collect 525ml, which comes in at about 20%. This last part can be re-run, later. This is a total of 1.4 liters. IF you just add the two times together, for a total time of 2 hours 40 minutes, and collect the complete 1.4 liters, it comes in right at 40%, the same as Vodka in the store. IF you wanted to fiddle with the times, you could get it to where you were getting 50% (100 proof, which you mentioned), which would be more than 875ml. I usually cut back my 60% to 50% with distilled water (which this unit will do, too,,, distill water, that is, not mix your product OhMyGod). On a sugar wash, you'll need to count on running your product through an activated charcoal filter, though, because it IS a pot still, and the sugar fermentation flavor comes through to the finished product. IF you're trying to make a brandy, DON'T run the finished product through the charcoal filter, or it will strip out your flavor. On your fruit wine, you can get a brandy, BUT, I don't know how much you'll get from 4 liters of wine, since your wine will possibly be 12%, while my sugar wash is around 18%. Some math genius on the forum may can tell you, but I'd say something like 12% of 4 liters = 480ml of pure alcohol, getting a 50% product you'd theoretically have 960ml, just 40ml short of 1 liter. Hope this helps you... I've not been able to find a lot on the forum about the ES."
Offline stupor  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2009 12:13:46 AM(UTC)
stupor

"garyliza - Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate the details.

One last question...when someone is distilling wine or beer (for a brandy), rum, or something else that does not use turbo yeast, how much should be discarded as the foreshots when using an easystill?

Thanks again..."
Offline garyliza  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:38:51 AM(UTC)
garyliza

"
Originally Posted by: stupor Go to Quoted Post
garyliza - Thanks so much for the info! I really appreciate the details.

One last question...when someone is distilling wine or beer (for a brandy), rum, or something else that does not use turbo yeast, how much should be discarded as the foreshots when using an easystill?

Thanks again...

Maybe someone else can answer this better,,, I've seen information anywhere from 10 ml to 40 ml. 40ml is about 8 teaspoons, so we're not talking about a LOT. 3 teaspoons in a Tablespoon... that would be nearly 3 tablespoons. On my sugar wash, I've been going with 10ml. and have had no problems. Of course, I run this through activated carbon, and I'm thinking the carbon would have taken it out anyway (someone else jump in here, if I'm wrong), but by taking it out, it saves the carbon from having to filter it. You'll [COLOR=""Red""]NOT[/COLOR] want to run your brandy or rum through carbon... you won't have brandy or rum flavor if you do."
Offline Mike Dunlap  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:50:18 AM(UTC)
Mike Dunlap

"I have a new EasyStill and have run my first few batches of sugar wash through it. Using the charcoal filter and essences, I'm very impressed with the results.

Now what? I am uncertain ""how"" I prepare a mash to produce a real, authentic scotch. I do not know what I get if I distill some of the wine that we make that is less successful than some of our other wines. What do I get when I distill wine? My wine is about 14% now.

Thanks for any feedback. Books to read?"
Offline garyliza  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:02:08 PM(UTC)
garyliza

"Distilled wine = brandy. How to make authentic scotch? Beats me...from what I've read in the past, and can remember, the Scots use pot stills, and peat moss to fire them. Scotch is made from malted barley, the same stuff that beer is made from. Here's a link with wikipedia that gives some pretty good detail to single malt scotch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_malt_Scotch

Gary"
Offline Mike Dunlap  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:12:42 AM(UTC)
Mike Dunlap

"So, if I distill red wine the product should be considered brandy as opposed to grappa?

I ""think"" that grappa may be made from the second use of grapes following an initial light press ... with additional sugar introduced and water added ... so fermentation starts again. But, this seems like a longer way around of getting to the same place (distilling wine).

I am not certain of the distinction between making grappa and making brandy. Can someone explain the difference?

Also, I want to get one of Brewhaus' small barrels. I have a number of oak barrels that I use for making wine but am uncertain of what we would use a ""charred"" barrel for. I suspect that it might be used for whiskey aging ... as opposed to toasted barrels. My thought is to put whatever it is that results from distilling wine into the barrel. Can someone offer an explanation of charred versus toasted and what one would use one versus the other for with respect to distilled spirits?

Thanks."