logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline biskitman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:00:26 AM(UTC)
biskitman

Groups: Registered

"I have read many threads on this site and on Homedistiller.org about using baking soda and salt in the boiler. I am trying to get a straight answer on whether baking soda can be used on a first run and whether salt can be used on a first run. My runs consist of a newly fermented batch that is allowed to clear like water, combined with 3-4 quarts of tails from a previous batch.

Homedistiller says to use 4-6 ounces of salt in the boil as well as several heaping teaspoons of baking soda. I have read on this site not to use baking soda on the first run because it makes ammonia. Does this pertain to my run since it is a combination of a first run of fresh mash combined with tails? Should I use half the amount of baking soda since half of the boil is from a previous batch?

My usual batch being cooked consists of 6 gallons fresh fermented, cleared, and combined as I said with tails. I have the PSII High Capacity hooked to a keg and run propane. Seperate water lines for the column and condensor. Start collecting at 172 and shut down at 180 or a little after.

On the finished run I get 5-6 quarts with 3-4 being good clean and drinkable. With these that are designated drinkable, should I cut with water then add baking soda and how much?

Questions needing answered:

1.Can baking soda be used in a first run consisting of fresh fermented mash and added tails? How much for 6.5 gallons?

2.Can salt be used on the first run? How much for 6.5 gallons?

3.For finished product, should I first cut with water then add baking soda to each quart? How much?

Sorry the post is so long its just that I have been reading conflicting answers on the baking soda with Homedistiller saying that adding baking soda during the cook does all kinds of wonderful things for taste etc. I know some of the experts here will have a good answer, thanks!"