logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline john01  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2007 5:25:18 AM(UTC)
john01

Groups: Registered

"I've just run my first reflux operation and have ditched the 1st 250ml or product at 78deg. The next 2 qts that I have collected are a touch cloudy with very tiny particulate (whitish) floating around.

Should I be concerned or just filter it out?

How do I filter it out?

Thanks"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2007 7:40:57 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: john01 Go to Quoted Post
I've just run my first reflux operation and have ditched the 1st 250ml or product at 78deg. The next 2 qts that I have collected are a touch cloudy with very tiny particulate (whitish) floating around.

Should I be concerned or just filter it out?

How do I filter it out

Thanks

Sounds like you were running with a bit too much heat, and its puckining, foaming or boiling up into column. Presumeing your column was clean. Less heat especially at start up.

I would use those first 2 qts as heads and run them with your next batch to clean them up. To filter, I use an 8"" ss fine strainer, lined with coffee filter, and just pour through slowly.

Presume the rest of the distillation was clear? You can run faster with more heat later in the run than the first, as the higher alchohals come off at a faster, lower temp. rate. I would try for total or as slow go as possible to start off with to concentrate the heads and make the cut to hearts cleaner and with less head mixture collected. Also less foaming and heavy boiling. A cup or two of boiling chips helps a lot to prevent pucking. Small bubbles instead of huge ones."
Offline john01  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2007 8:08:05 AM(UTC)
john01

"Yes its getting clearer as we go. My column is well packed with a copper scrubber at the base, then about 10"" of ceramic rashig rings, then a couple more scrubbers up to the condenser outlet. Can that stuff really foam up that much to get there? My heat source is not adjustable, had to disable the adjustment because it cycled on & off too much.

On one site I read I could use a distilling conditioner? Whats a distilling conditioner?

Thanks"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2007 10:13:10 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"When you first start your boil, your boiler is almost full. Without boiling chips, you get large bubbles of gases that will splash up into your column. the higher alchohals have a fast rate of evaporation, and between the 2 can flood your column and cause the pucking into your condenser.

Several things can help. I always use about 2 cups of rashig rings in the boiler for boiling chips. Also a few copper fittings or some pennies for the heck of it. Breaks the boil into smaller bubbles and eliminates the explosive kabooms, that will alert neighbors to wonder, meybe in your case, I don't have any, and just like cooking on a stove, some things just foam and boil over for a few minutes then settle down. Another thing that might help is a tbs. or 2 of vegetable oil. Like cooking peas or beans, helps stop initial foaming and eruptive boil.

As expected, as soon as heads were gone and the volume lowered a bit, and the alchohal concentration decreased a mite, it stopped.

This is why old timers used a slobber box to catch those puckings. I wouldn't bother filtering those first qts. as they are mostly heads anyways. Just add them to your next run and get the good out of them. Save all those, and the tails into a seperate jug. Best to use them on a spirit run if you do like i do a stripping fast run, and then after collecting enough low wines, a full reflux spirit run. Saves time and energy, and greatly increases the end product quality.

Took me a year or 2 to get it all straight myself. \\Cheers!"
Offline john01  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2007 5:54:57 AM(UTC)
john01

"Ok started cutting the good stuff today, my meter only goes 30 to 60% Cut the clear about 50-50 with distilled water & got 55%.

Tested the pure with a small spoon on the tounge & WOW small tingle & warm. Put a half a shot of the 55% in a 1/2 glass of OJ and mmmm good couldn't even tatse it & I got a warm glow. (I'm not a big drinker, just doing this for fun)

How do I know what I've got isn't poison? Who's to say my temp gauge wasn't off a few degrees? I collected from 77.8 deg C to 79 deg. C for about 5 hours and got 4 good usable qts off a 25L mash, and about a quart of heads and a quart of tails that I'll keep as a cleaning solvent.

Thanks"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2007 6:29:50 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: john01 Go to Quoted Post
Ok started cutting the good stuff today, my meter only goes 30 to 60% Cut the clear about 50-50 with distilled water & got 55%.

Tested the pure with a small spoon on the tounge & WOW small tingle & warm. Put a half a shot of the 55% in a 1/2 glass of OJ and mmmm good couldn't even tatse it & I got a warm glow. (I'm not a big drinker, just doing this for fun)

How do I know what I've got isn't poison? Who's to say my temp gauge wasn't off a few degrees? I collected from 77.8 deg C to 79 deg. C for about 5 hours and got 4 good usable qts off a 25L mash, and about a quart of heads and a quart of tails that I'll keep as a cleaning solvent.

Thanks

Congradulations. It will get better with every run you make as you gain experiance.

I would suggest that you check your alch. meter though. Assuming you got close to perfect distillation, say 95%, then diluted with same volume water, you should have gotten a ABV in the lower 40's. 5.8 parts base with 4.2 parts water would give you 55%, and thats assuming a perfect run.

After dilution, it will get even better in a week or so as the water and alch. marry together.

Glad you enjoying the end result. Drinking your own, is much more heart warming, and later, if you again try store bought stuff, you will find it relatively nasty.

Cheers, enjoy!"
Offline bronzdragon  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:42:50 PM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"I agree with the things said above. I'll also toss in something else.

If you have spirits that you're not quite sure about. Or smell a little off, you could try to filter them, or what I do ... is just toss them into the next batch.

Sometimes I get a little greedy and pull too far into the tails. Like when I make rum, I like a lot of tails in it for that good flavor. But when I switch over to whiskey, I like a lot less tails for a cleaner flavor.

It's all in the learning process. Just remember...it's not wasted until you throw it down the drain. Up to that point you can always re-run it for a cleaner taste.

cheers

~r~"
Offline Blueflame  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:11:56 AM(UTC)
Blueflame

It does sound like the temp was to high, or the still had to much in it to start with.
Offline johnpierce79  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:24:37 AM(UTC)
johnpierce79

"The Still Spirits process involves the controlled manufacture of alcohol from a known mix of nutrients, sugar and yeast. The distillate is then cleaned with activated carbon to remove unwanted flavours.

The best method is to add some ""distilling conditioner"" to your wash in the still boiler before starting. This stops the excessive foaming in the boiler which is caused by high concentrations of proteins and unfermented sugars. Distilling conditioner allows distillation even if your wash has not fully fermented out."