logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline chefdaniel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 07, 2008 7:03:24 AM(UTC)
chefdaniel

Groups: Registered

I have quite a few pieces of copper scrap and fittings, very clean, that I am thinking of using in my boiler during still operation. Any thoughts? I've also used chunks of very clean hardwood lump charcoal to help foaming. Thoughts?
Offline tikisteve  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 09, 2008 10:39:08 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

I've always wondered about that too, except I was thinking about using very clean penny's. I know there is only a thin layer of copper on them but I've always wondered if anyone ever used them.
Offline chefdaniel  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 09, 2008 11:56:21 PM(UTC)
chefdaniel

Good idea. I generally clean copper with peroxide/vinegar and then a good rinse in a lot of water. I'm running some of my 'Cumberland Mist' this weekend and will try the pennies. That's about all the damn things are good for anyway.
Offline tikisteve  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:38:57 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"I've always cleand my copper in a big pot of boiling vinegar and then rinse afterwards, never thought of the peroxide.
Let us know how it turns out."
Offline Blanikdog  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:12:49 PM(UTC)
Blanikdog

"Pure clean copper is best. Do you have any idea what other metals are used in the alloy to make coins? I sure don't and wouldn't trust them.

blanik"
Offline PopcornsFriend  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 24, 2010 2:04:05 PM(UTC)
PopcornsFriend

I do work for Altrista who makes penny blanks for the treasury. The inner core is pure zinc to the best of my knowledge with a copper flash on the outside. Altrista manufactures all kinds of components for the auto and plumbing fixture industry out of pure zinc.
Offline Mongoose  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 6:20:17 AM(UTC)
Mongoose

PopcornsFriend is right on. Eventually the mild acidic action on the pennies will leach the copper flash off then you have zinc in your boil. I would use them in an emergency, but use something else for the constant use. I think marbles or the ceramic rings will work fine for the boil chips, plus I think copper is far more effective in the vapor column, but my learning here is limited. If I am off base please let me know.
Offline mikejwoodnz  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2011 11:35:38 AM(UTC)
mikejwoodnz

"
Originally Posted by: Mongoose Go to Quoted Post
PopcornsFriend is right on. Eventually the mild acidic action on the pennies will leach the copper flash off then you have zinc in your boil. I would use them in an emergency, but use something else for the constant use. I think marbles or the ceramic rings will work fine for the boil chips, plus I think copper is far more effective in the vapor column, but my learning here is limited. If I am off base please let me know.

Sounds like you are running without boiling chips - use Raschig Rings or similar - a small chain like a kitchen sink plug chain will also work. This is to prevent surge boiling which is one big bubble - boiling chips make many small bubbles."
Offline heeler  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:28:34 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
for a while I used a ring of copper couplings tied together with a picece of copper wire. But I forgot to put it in the boiler before and I could'nt tell the difference. It did'nt heat up any faster and they did'nt fortell of the right temp to cook with. I'm sure it wont hurt to use something like that but in my experience it made no difference at all. Just my opinion.
Offline mr. x  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:34:06 AM(UTC)
mr. x

so in the bottom of my keg how much chain do i need does it need to cover most of the bottom or just like a foot or 2 of small gauge chain?
Offline scotty  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 08, 2012 11:35:36 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"
Originally Posted by: mr. x Go to Quoted Post
so in the bottom of my keg how much chain do i need does it need to cover most of the bottom or just like a foot or 2 of small gauge chain?

i believe just covering the bottom will do it. not a thick layer either you must be using external heat. Gas or hotplate"
Offline dgk  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:33:45 PM(UTC)
dgk

i use the stainless steel chain that came with my keg kit. its about a foot long maybe a little more. worked fo me!
Offline mr. x  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:32:21 PM(UTC)
mr. x

thats what i figured i just wasnt sure if whole bottom needed covered i have like 2 foot of stainless chain in my closet so im set
Offline nivekk59  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:27:28 AM(UTC)
nivekk59

"I use pieces of broken glass. Works just fine. Gotta be careful taking it out though, LOL

I might switch to that chain, never have figured out what I'm supposed to be doing with that.

Kevin"
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2012 10:05:05 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I feels your pain on that chain deal Bro also on the broke glass. I should have saved the remnants of my door glass in the pickup truck leftover when somebody decided they needed my fancy stereo player worse than I did. I started not to throw that away..kick kick. Can a person use safety glass? Thanks.
Offline nivekk59  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2012 12:12:44 PM(UTC)
nivekk59

"I don't know about that safety glass. Might have plastic in it.

I just use pieces of a busted up wine bottle."
Offline nivekk59  
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:27:29 AM(UTC)
nivekk59

"I let the boiler cool, dump most of it and pick them out.

I'm an old lab guy, and in my opinion, what we are doing here is lab work. I've done thousands of distillations and separations. That's why I'm such a nerd about this stuff.

Regarding stones, all that is needed is some kind of irregularitys on the bottom of the boiler. Places for small bubbles to form so one massive bubble does not orm across the whole bottom. Any thing non-reactive will do.

On an unrelated note.......the Christian Temperance Union was formed in Evanstan Illinois. A small distiller has opened up there and I'm going for a tour tonight. It's called F.E.W Spirits. F.E.W are the initials of the founder of the union! Love it!! Bet she's rolling over in her grave! LOL"
Offline nivekk59  
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:04:08 AM(UTC)
nivekk59

"I didn't know what it was for. The web site said it had something to do with cleaning???

Now that I hear that folks are using in place of boiling chips (or shards of glass) I'm going to give it a whirl with my next batch.

Safer too! LOL

Kevin"
Offline flyboytr  
#19 Posted : Monday, December 02, 2013 9:53:16 AM(UTC)
flyboytr

I Know this is an old thread but felt like I may be able to add something. Before I went all electric and was firing my stainless keg with propane, I used tempered glass for boiling chips. It worked great! I kept doing tempered glass searches on Craigslist and found someone that had a 16x48" glass shelf. Cost me $5. I wrapped it in a plastic drop cloth and wacked the corner with a hammer (oh...I did wash it first!). After the explosion, I gathered it up, washed it again in a large container so the small pieces would work towards the bottom. Then scooped out what I wanted to keep. The glass holds no flavors or imparts any flavors; and zero chance of any type of chemical reaction. Again, I used this for several years and was very pleased with it.
Offline Toe Jamb  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:25:27 AM(UTC)
Toe Jamb

I use for boiling chips a 10 ft section of 3/4" copper water pipe I got at the hardware store. Grab your pipe cutter and start cutting 3/4 to 1 inch pieces. the smaller the better. works great and adds some copper to the boiling pot.