logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline beerbugger  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:04:32 AM(UTC)
beerbugger

Groups: Registered

"I am gearing up to do a mixed grain whiskey using flaked maize, pale malt and rye.
Problem: for the rye, would it work to just use whole grain dark rye flour?
I plan to cereal mash about 4 or 5 lb rye and 3 lb each of maize and malt.
Does this sound like a good ratio for a Canadian style whiskey?
Is this enough malt to convert the rye?
How can I be sure that the rye flour won't just turn the whole mash into a big bucket of gravy?"
Offline zymos  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 29, 2008 3:25:53 AM(UTC)
zymos

"Flour still should be gelatinized by heating up to near boiling and holding for a while before mashing.

And yes, it will be a pain to work with-either you have to settle and rack, loosing quite a bit of volume to the sludge, or try to squeeze or press out the remaining liquid. Some cloth or old pillowcase in a collander in a bowl, or something similar will work, but it will be an all day job.

Flaked rye is pretty common in bulk at natural foods stores-is there a Whole Foods or similar near by? It will eliminate the need for gelatinizing, and it a bit easier to work with than flour."
Offline beerbugger  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 29, 2008 3:38:20 AM(UTC)
beerbugger

"thanks for the advice!
Just after posting the question I found an ""Old Fashion Foods"" store where I found cracked rye and flaked rye. I bought 2 1/2 lb of each as well as some wheat for vodka. Cheap and great selection - even for botanicals (maybe I'll make some gin too)
My wife can use the flour to make bread.
I'll let you know how it all turns out."
Offline beerbugger  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 29, 2008 3:48:17 AM(UTC)
beerbugger

"apparently, the gelatinization temp for rye is about 155F which is just below the final rest in a mashing schedule. Would I have to do this before adding the malt or could it gelatinize and mash at the same time?
Maybe I would be better off to grab another bag of flaked and skip the cracked all together?
I wonder what my wife could bake with that?
Am I over thinking this?"
Offline zymos  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 01, 2008 3:01:58 AM(UTC)
zymos

155 isn't all THAT high for mashing, but it seems most mashes that are destined for distillation are done at lower temps, which favors the enzymes that make it more fermentable.In other words, at higher temps, you are still converting the starch, but making a higher proportion of unfermentable sugars-maybe good in beer, but not usefull when you are distilling.

I'd still give the cracked rye a go, since you already have it. I'd bet it'll be a bit easier to separate out than flakes or flour also. How you want to handle the gelatinization issue is your call-at worst you will just have a less efficient mash and loose some potentially fermentable sugars.