logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline bfrank  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2007 7:16:41 AM(UTC)
bfrank

Groups: Registered

"Help... Ive experienced a real problem... people getting sick from something in the distill et ... so much so emergency was called... the fire department said they had seen this problem before from other home distillers using [blue and other] plastic water jugs [3-5 gals.]. They thought the proof was to high for the plastic and was leaching or dissolving chemicals, harmful for consumption, out of the plastic
I threw all of that batch out... apologized and promised i wouldn't let that happen again.
I am now using 1 gal. glass jars... kind of a pain... but safe.
Any one have any knowledgeable advice or info on exceptable container for brewing, distilling, storing... various proof alcohols?

Please help... this should be a concern for everyone... can we get the low down? we all want to enjoy our friends and our alcohol safely and live to be old and healthy doing it!
Sincerly
BFrank"
Offline bronzdragon  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:42:03 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"High % alcohol is a solvent. Solvents leach chemicals out of plastics. The best bet is to stay away from plastic as a part of a still and/or a receiving container or storage container. Sorry you had to find this out the hard way.

There are some other boards on the web dedicated to home distilling, it's a great way to learn things like this before it happens. I hope the people are ok that drank the stuff.

~r~"
Offline bfrank  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:24:59 AM(UTC)
bfrank

"Yea, thanks bronzdragon, everyones fine now and were enjoying our bottled product safely and responsibly... I still use the harder clear plastic bottle, that commercial booze comes in, for bottling... it was meant for that... and has never been a problem... but i no longer use the softer colored commercial water jugs for a collection vessel.
I wonder if the harder clear plastic water jugs would be ok for a collection vessel... anyone out there safely doing that?
Wish them glass 5 gal water jug were available still... there scarce but I'm still looking.
Still would like to know the truth of the matter.
bfrank"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:58:34 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Frank,

The commercial booze bottles have a special coating on the inside to protectthe alcohal from comeing into contact with the plastic. None of the other ones like water jugs have that.

I got a bunch of glass jugs 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7 1/2 gal. ones from a brew shop.

SS beer kegs are perfect."
Offline just_me  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:08:46 PM(UTC)
just_me

"you can age your etho in hdpe. such as milk jugs. you need to store it at 70abv. the good thing about hdpe is that it breathes. that helps in the aging but i still open mine daily. you can also use pete(liquor bottles) to store your etho. i think that pete has a ceiling on abv also. email me direct and i will see if i can find some old files on it. put distilling in the subject line.

life begins at 80.. 1.080 that is."
Offline bronzdragon  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:02:24 AM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"Storing alcohol in plastic at lower % rates may be safer but that doesn't rule out leaching all together. Glass jugs are readily available at the market with cheap wine or apple juice in them. That's what I use, and I'm absolutely sure that I'm not getting anything but booze in my booze.

~r~"