logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bamadan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2007 2:15:42 AM(UTC)
Bamadan

Groups: Registered

"I have made several runs with turbo's, made a few ujsm runs and got to thinking why could you not rack wash fron a sugar wash (turbo black label) put a couple gallons water back into the lees, dissolve sugar into heated water, cool that and put into wash without new yeast ?
Anyone ever tried this ? Seems to be the same concept as the method of UJSM."
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2007 2:58:11 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The problem is that you are going to be nutrient deficient. A large portion of the Turbo Yeast package is a mixture of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc., so while you will have plenty of live yeast, you will not have the nutrients necessary to give the yeast the ability to perform.
Offline Bamadan  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2007 2:06:54 PM(UTC)
Bamadan

"Had never seen this posted anywhere and was thinking about it. Your response sure makes sense though. I'll stick to new yeast each run.
thanks"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2007 3:05:45 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: Bamadan Go to Quoted Post
Had never seen this posted anywhere and was thinking about it. Your response sure makes sense though. I'll stick to new yeast each run.
thanks

Very much posted in the past. but realility is you could use that yeast base, add another turbo yeast, with all needed ingrediants, and let her go. You would have a much faster ferment. Make sure your original ferment and yeast leas remain clean and sterile in the process. It will potentiaialy speed it up, and perhaps make a better wash.

Try it and let us know."
Offline wineo  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2007 8:14:32 AM(UTC)
wineo

"There are a few people out there that have reused the turbos with sucess,but you need to add some neutrents back to it.I havent tried it myself,and stopped using turbos some time back.
wineo"
Offline bronzdragon  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2007 9:31:40 PM(UTC)
bronzdragon

"I use the Rum Turbo and have used it 3 times in a row with good success. The fact that I'm making rum with molasses adds a lot of nutrients back into the wash...but I also add a teaspoon of yeast nutrient and some Beano for good starch conversion. I have been able to get 11-12% off the yeast each of the 3 times. (12% was what I was shooting for.)

My wash starts at about 1.110 and ends about 1.020-1.030.

So, what prior posters have said is true. Plenty of yeast left, in fact, you'll have more yeast cells then what you started out with due to yeast multiplication. However, you have to think about the nutrients.

cheers

~r~"