logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnym  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 2:50:51 AM(UTC)
johnnym

Groups: Registered

"Recently my Easy still flipped it's lid

The top part started to lift up and down on the side opposite the power cord connection, allowing steam to esacpe and did not distill properly. The gasket somehow has loosened and I have noticed that the lid removes much easier than before. I have ""corrected"" this by placing a weight on the top of the unit while distilling and seems to be working again but I am concerned that this happened so soon after purchase and not sure if this is covered under a warranty or return policy of Brewhaus. Is this a common problem?"
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 3:32:57 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
In all but one case (where it was a gasket issue) this has been caused by over-expansion or foaming. Try reducing the volume of liquid to at least an inch below the 4L mark, and add an anti-foam agent.
Offline brew  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 4:32:09 AM(UTC)
brew

Happened to Howie and he shipped his back to me. After some advice from Rick and an old timer its sorted out.

He runs at 3/4" below the line and never had another problem. If its super foamy grain stuff get the anti foam from Rick.

Old timer said to drop a salad fork or two or three in the kettle with the points up. Makes a pretty good racket he said. I don't know. Never tried the forks and neither has Howie.
Offline johnnym  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 6:39:17 AM(UTC)
johnnym

"Hi

I have been filling to same spot on all runs - slightly below line without problems until lately and the lid used to have a snugger feel when placing on and removing - it is noticeably looser now. Do you see any problem and/or danger with placing a weight on top to keep lid snug or should I not be doing this. It has a hole in it so that the vent is not obstructed."
Offline jBruce  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 10:03:28 AM(UTC)
jBruce

On one occasion I hade a leak something like this but not the top lifting. The gasket is triangular and can stick and then roll when putting top on or taking off.. If you keep that in mind you may notice it doesn"t feel right (smooth) while putting the top on. Make sure all is clean and being wet helps. I don"t know if that is you issue or not. Check the gasket if it is sticking and twisting then maybe it slowly moves up. Maybe foam too or check for plugged cooling tube.
Offline brew  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 10:59:39 AM(UTC)
brew

"Howie used a ruler and made a scratches at 3/4 and 1"" below the mark. Grain bills are very foamy and need a lot more than 3/4"" for headspace. I think he is almost all rum now though due to availability of supplies.

Gaskets are always hard/stiff when they are new. Pressure cooker gaskets too. Lube with water. If you are at mark or above by a bit it will lift on second runs. The distill expands too quickly and uses all your head space. That's what was going on when I played with it."
Offline brew  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 11:02:25 AM(UTC)
brew

"Also is wash gas free? if you don't degass even if it clears, it will blow its top letting out all the CO2 real fast as it gets warm.

Degassing is a solver of many problems."
Offline johnnym  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:04:19 AM(UTC)
johnnym

"Hi

Lid is still flipping and spitting even when liquid is 2 inches below fill line
This is a comment I found re: the Megahome unit:

""I believe brewhaus makes up their own connector
for charcoal from distiller to collection container, if this
piece if too tight it could be causing airlock and pushing
the top unit up."" - any weight to this? I am not sure what this piece is - I do not filter right out of the still so I won't miss it.

My opinion is that the gasket seal has become looser - How can I check this, and/or replace the gasket - is this something that end-user can do and how do I get a replacement gasket?"
Offline admin  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:20:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Try adding an anti-foam agent. If there is any residual yeast, sugars, etc., this will cause foaming.

The outlet of the condenser is not sealed to the output of the unit, so literally blocking the plastic outlet on the unit will not actually cause pressure to build up until the inner reservoir fills. If you feel that this could be happening, just allow the distillate to drip into the carbon instead of attaching the tubing. If it helps, we have never had this reported as an issue- I would side with foaming being your problem. If this lid lifts and you have liquid coming out, then liquid is reaching the top of the boiler, via expansion or excessive foaming.