logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cooker  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2007 4:45:57 AM(UTC)
cooker

Groups: Registered

"I have just switched to a digital thermometer. I am using an extractor pro series with the size 13 1/2 rubber cork at the top of the column. Does anyone know it I have to find a solid stopper and drill it myself or does someone have one? The reason I ask is the hole in the stopper is to big for the probe.
Thanks Jim"
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2007 5:38:00 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Actually, we offer the bungs drilled or without a hole (same price) on our website.
Offline cooker  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2007 7:05:29 AM(UTC)
cooker

"Rick:
Thanks for the information. I am going to be placing an order shortly.
Thanks Jim"
Offline flyboytr  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2007 1:55:40 AM(UTC)
flyboytr

"I was faced with the same issue when I changed over to a digital thermometer. This was my approach...

I drilled a 1/8" hole next to the center hole (the rubber doesn"t drill well...but just keep pushing the bit in and out...you"ll never get a clean bored hole). Confused I then went to a 3/32" bit because it was too hard to get the probe in and out. Ok...That part works.

Now for the hole in the middle. Getting the stopper out after a run is a little tough as there is no handle to grab hold of. I used a 1/4 X 3" stainless steel bolt, two nuts and 2 washers to solve the problem. Thread one nut on the bolt (run it almost to the head of the bolt), add 1 washer and insert the bolt through the bung from the top. Now on the bottom add the other washer and nut (I applied a couple of wraps of Teflon tape on the end of the bolt...more for a thread-lock than a sealant). Thread the nut so that there is only a thread or two of the bolt extending through the nut. Now tighten the top nut down on the bung...not too tight! Now I have a short length of the bolt and the bolt head (sticking out the top of the bung) that I can use for a handle to remove the bung from the tower when I"m finished with a run.

This has worked real well for me, quick and easy.

Travis :)"
Offline Greg  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2007 5:36:17 PM(UTC)
Greg

"A few years back I built a thermometer setup for smoking meat (Big Green Egg); it has two type K thermocouples (high temp sensors) and used a radio to talk to a remote unit connected to a computer. I wrote some software for the computer end of things that included timers, temp alarms, network connectivity, etc. If anybody is interested I can point you at more info and dig out the specs, part numbers, software (Windows), etc.

Its very much a work in progress but was a fun introduction to electronics/hardware.

Sorry to the purists but automating and device connectivity are kind of 'my thing'. Wink"
Offline flyboytr  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:06:48 AM(UTC)
flyboytr

"Greg,
Yes, I would be interested in knowing more about what you did! We always have the laptop outside when we are running Tin Man. I track everything on an Excel spreadsheet. Being able to have all the data upload and track it from the computer sounds good to me. Thanks!

Travis:)"
Offline Greg  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:25:51 PM(UTC)
Greg

Ya sure ya betcha! I'll PM you.

Since both components have RS232 output (serial port) you don't really need to include the radio components - if you are willing to leave the laptop outside.