logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline brew  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:19:55 PM(UTC)
brew

Groups: Registered

"My buddy tried the UJSM thing and somewhere between 3 and 4 he got fouled and stuck, and dumped it before anyone had a chance to look it over. Nope he didn't measure sg, but told me he added 12# of sugar instead of 7. I said it was too high of sg, but he swears that was not too much. He used bakers yeast.

Here is the question. how high can you push an unmashed corn and backset for SG? Is he right? will 12# go in there and not foul the cycle?"
Offline wineo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:44:31 PM(UTC)
wineo

"If its a 5 or 6 gallon mash,and he is useing bread yeast,and just started,it would stress the yeast,and could get stuck.Once you have ran a few generations of it,you can gradualy increse the amount of sugar.Your yeast will adapt.I ran my last UJSM with 10Lbs of sugar,but I used some w/d yeast.
Get some 1118 yeast,it will handle it better.
wineo"
Offline brew  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 27, 2007 2:43:24 AM(UTC)
brew

Thanks Wineo. He has bigger stuff than me, all 6.5 carboys etc. I wasn't sure the extra tiny bit meant he could go that high. In my thinking the yeast was suffocated. It was already dumped and gone so there was no way to measure or taste to try to determine what happened. I think he was doing like you said and adding more each time until he stepped over the line with that yeast strain. He reads here too so he can look this over when he gets time.
Offline brew  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 7:50:47 AM(UTC)
brew

"Disappointing results. My bud started saving beer and from 13 gals after a few inches of lees, a couple racks and a final settle wound up with 9.5 gals. Of this he ran all but 1 gal to save for heads and tails run, but the total first run after a heavy foreshot toss was 1.3 gal at 40% with heads and tails still in. I told him the way it smelled he would be lucky to pull a half gal. from that. he seemed pretty disappointed as this is the second try for him. I gave him two packs of 1118 to get started and he fermed till almost no gas.

I never ran UJSM myself. Howie seemed to figure it out ok but never said anything about end totals. Is this how much you should expect?"
Offline brew  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 8:00:03 AM(UTC)
brew

I was going to add he has a three foot offset column like a stone but the head takes off with two plates like a bokakob and it elbows up so the run back doesn't center into the packing, but down the sides, if that makes sense. His uncle gave it to him. He ran no packing so like a very tall pot?
Offline wineo  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 8:44:02 AM(UTC)
wineo

"I think he should have got more than that off 13 gallons.I would think you should get 2-3 gallons total.Does that bobkbob have a valve to regulate the reflux.If it does tell him to run it with no reflux.That might help.He will probably do better next time.I usually got 1-1 1/2 gallons off of a 6-7 gallon mash.I used 10 lbs of sugar every time.I would only get a 1/2 gallon of hearts out of it.
wineo"
Offline brew  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 9:33:11 AM(UTC)
brew

I guess he is right on the money as he followed the 7# recipie this time after the first stuck mash. It does have a kind of small valve. He won't let me take a hacksaw and torch to that column though.... He also only had the 9.5 after throwing out the lees. he kept back that 1 gal so 10.5 total beer