logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnym  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:47:22 AM(UTC)
johnnym

Groups: Registered

"Hi

I think I messed up and would appreciate some help on how to recover from this. I have a sugar/molasses mash (15lbs sugar - 1 qt. Molasses) in standard 32l fermenter. I used the Pot distillers yeast in this - I did not add Pectolase Enzyme as I did not have any and there is no fruit in the MASH - I guess I bought the wrong yeast - shame on me for not reading before. I started yesterday and see some mild bubbling going on in the airlock - nothing like what I would see using turbo 48 which is more firece bubbling. DO you think that this yeast will ferment out ok or should I modify somehow - Thanks for assistance. would hate to have to toss this out."
Offline wineo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:14:47 AM(UTC)
wineo

"Dont get in a hurry and toss it out.Check the ph if you can.It might need some acid.Did you airate the wash good before starting the yeast?You can stir it up and get some air in it.It is probably just off to a slow start so give it some time.Was the molassus feed grade,or the kind you get at the store?
Some of the feed grade kind has proponic acid in it,and yeast dont like it.
I havent used the pot distillers yeast myself,but dont think it will work like a turbo,but slower.I hope this helped.
wineo"
Offline johnnym  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2007 12:32:56 AM(UTC)
johnnym

"HI

Wineo is correct as usual

It just needed a little more time and it is bubbling real good now - it just took a liitle longer to get started than I am used to with the T 48. Wanted to try something different. I am using the EasyStill which is basically a POT Still so thought I might get a better tasting product. What do you think??

THANKS FOR THE HELP

Still kinda new at this but having some fun experimenting."
Offline wineo  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2007 5:40:24 AM(UTC)
wineo

"I havent used the pot distillers yeast yet.I have used the turbo 48,black label turbo,and the whiskey distillers yeast with a/g,with good results.The whiskey yeast is really good,and is not a turbo.I have some of the vodka yeast with a/g,but havent used it yet.I may try it in a UJSM this winter.Let me know how it works out.
wineo"