logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline brew  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2007 11:37:30 AM(UTC)
brew

Groups: Registered

Any thoughts on running UJSM through stone carbon for a weekly vodka batch?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:36:00 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Hey Brew,

Possible, but what a total waste. The UJSM is a relatively weak beer to work with when you can get a high ABV with just the sugar and turbo or other mixes. Unless you distill that UJSM to a really high and pure ABV, you are going to really cut the life of your carbon.

Suggest you put that UJSM on some oak, and let it age, while you make some clean neutral for the vodka."
Offline Ratcatcher3d  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2007 2:12:43 AM(UTC)
Ratcatcher3d

"Hey people.
Got a couple of questions to ask about distilling.I hope tol be receiving a distiller from New Zealand whats the chances of customs not letting it into UK.And how hard is it to distill, iv been a homebrewer for over 2yrs and just want to take it a step higher..
Much thanksBigGrin"
Offline wineo  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2007 7:42:26 AM(UTC)
wineo

"I have thought about running a large UJSM,with 1118 yeast,and saving only the hearts till I have 13 gallons of them.Then reflux it with some sodium carbonate to remove more flavor.I know it would make some really good neutral,but it would be alot of work.Plus you would have tons of leftover heads and tails.Sugar wash makes some good vodka without any carbon filtering.Running a turbo wash 2 times is an easy way to make vodka,and if you make some cuts to the first run,the 2nd will be real good.I made a batch of turbo wash vodka with 12Lbs of dextrose,4Lbs of lt brown sugar,and 2 1/2
Lbs of demerea sugar,using the black label turbo yeast,and let it clear real good before I ran it.I potstilled it once,and its the best tasting neutral that I have made yet,by far.I bottled 10,750ml bottles of it saturday night,at 40%.
Ive been making different whiskeys the last few months,and now im going to be working on some different combinations of sugars for neutrals,and rums.
wineo"
Offline brew  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2007 12:18:03 PM(UTC)
brew

"Thanks Wineo. Howie wanted to know. He can get the cracked there in chuuk. He asked me to send carbon though so I think i will forward johns advice not to. he got some NZ carbon and said it didn't work too good so no sense in starting that if he needs carbon sent every month.

Quick question. did you bottle in wine bottles and natural corks? can they lay down and not leak?

TIA."
Offline wineo  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2007 12:48:04 PM(UTC)
wineo

"Yes.Mostly wine bottles,and some liquer bottles,and #9 corks.If you keep the corks wet,It will keep for a long,long time.Just keep it In a dark,cool place.I have found that using carbon doesnt do too much to my booze,so I dont use it anymore.I just make good cuts,and if it is still not tasting right,run it again.It depends on your still,and your cuts,but Im happy with the quality I get in 1 or 2 runs.I air out all my stuff real good,before passing judgement on it.
wineo"