logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline johnnym  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:49:56 AM(UTC)
johnnym

Groups: Registered

"HI

Started my first crude Rum Mash with 13.5 lbs of brown sugar and 1 pint bottle of Molasses - 6.5 gallons of water - 1 pack of black label turbo yeast. Bubbling was more intense for first few days - after 5 days it is still gurgling a little - I guess this is going as it should. My plan is to wait a week after it is completely quiet before syphoning.

Pot Still - Tried out the pot still that was purchased on ebay ethanolpro - wanted to post pictures but they are too big - will try again when I can resize the JPGS. Made a few discoveries with water only runs to clean it out. I wished that the pot was meatier - kinda flimsy. Got it to function properly after making dumb mistakes like putting cooling tank too low - funny that it was working for a while then just stopped - but that was definitely my fault.
I used outdoors with a propane burner from a turkey fryer - very strong flame at high heat - it burned the paint off the burner and made a nasty smell for a while until it burned off - wonder why they used a paint that could not stand the heat. I am not 100% satisfied with the quality of the pot still but it does exactly what it is supposed to do - it works. Running real hard with water only the output was coming out hot - another realization that the cooling tank gets hot faster than I thought it would - solved that running a constant flow of new water into it with a hose.

I did also realize after doing the water only runs that this is time consuming - I cannot devote this much time to each run and also not possible for me to do on a low key basis - the pump sound and constant running water down my driveway is a little too obvious - I live in a populated area and people are nosy - I am strongly considering purchasing the easy still - so here are some questions

with easystill - is this for neutral spirits only or can you use without filter for making rum?

This is completely safe for indoors, right?

4L capacity - how much output from 4l mash and how long ?

what about discarding heads and tails - assume that first 50 ml gets tossed then how much good stuff before tails?

THANKS"
Offline brew  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2007 7:04:49 AM(UTC)
brew

OK. First off, you can do fine with what you have by making adjustments. Use a large tub to pump from, and freeze small bucket shaped containers so you can get enough ice to just about fill the tub and fill it again later if needed. Dump the turkey fryer. They are too dangerous with biscuit pots. Get a hot plate and search on how to kill the thermostat. get a dimmer switch if you need to.

I don't have a still yet, but am comparing right now, so I know what you have and about what it will do and if you keep working on the peices it will come together just fine.

You can buy a lot of stuff, but you can't buy patience. Just give it time and do things right
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2007 12:49:41 PM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

"I agree with Brew - I use a big Igloo cooler filled with water - about 10 gal? and use frozen milk jugs and a little aquarium pump to recirculate water. And definetely use a hotplate, quiet and efficeint. I use the Pro II that Brewhaus sells, works great. And yes, it does take time, most or more of an afternoon if not more for a 5-6 gal mash.

Can't help on the easy still info.

But doing math will tell/estimate you how much you get. not to talk down to you, not sure what you know or don't know - for instance 4 L of mash at say 12% is .48 L of alchohol so depending on how close to 90-95% you get, gives a result of just a bit less than that. Of course after mixing with water, it makes twice as much end result. Can't say about heads or tails - maybe 30-40 ml on each end? Anybody else got more clues? I am a newbie too."