logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:50:52 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Anyone have a recipe for the quickest fermenting beer? or wine? Preferably one that doesn't need precooking.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:41:26 PM(UTC)

What exactly are you trying to make? Sugar, water, and Turbo-24 will give you a quick ferment if you are looking for something to distill. If you are trying to make an actual beer without boiling there is an interesting article about prehopped no boil extracts at:
http://byo.com/feature/634.html
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:32:59 AM(UTC)

I was thinking a drinkable beer/wine as is. Also one without an extract. It doesn't have to be good, really just more of an interest sparker like 'this actually works' type of thing.
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 01, 2006 2:45:59 PM(UTC)

Well, Hmmm. If you don't want to use an extract, I assume you mean DME is out as well. Pretty much anything with sugar will ferment but it won't automatically taste very good. I mean you can ferment apple juice and get hard cider, or honey and get mead. If you don't care about a clear wine, just get some grape concentrate and toss in some wine yeast.

If you want to make an all grain beer you will have to steep the grains at 150 degrees for 60 to 90 minutes to get the sugar out of the grain then boil it with hops to counter the cloying sweetness. Then quickly cool it before tossing in the yeast so you don't get bacteria growth.

These are not recipes, just a quick guide. Google will lead you to countless actual recipes. I hope this is helpful.
#5 Posted : Friday, June 02, 2006 8:28:39 AM(UTC)

Tomas,

I am in agreement with Elricko that you will have to follow a recipe to make something worth drinking. Fifteen years ago I started making beer and will say that by far beer is harder to make than any other form of alcohol due to the factors that can screw it up. First the yeast is not as forgiving as wine or turbo, so if your equipment is not sterile you will not want to drink it. Secondly, all grain for a first time beer brewer is somewhat time consuming and costly to have the equipment ,false bottoms, grain mills, multiple vessle for mashing and latering,. I would recommend trying a kit that has a mixture of extract and steeping a few pounds of grains to start out. Those kits are not bad and if you keep the equipment sanitary can produce a very good beer.

As for wine, I have only been making my own for a couple of years and am by far the most experienced. I have used some of the kits at the local homebrew shop that require no cooking what ever. These kits have you add the juice to the primary fermentation bucket and then add X gallons of water. I have gotten in the habit of not measuring the water and placing my hydrometer in the juice and add the water until I get the starting gravity the instructions indicate. In some cases I have 6 gal of wine others 5 gal. This method works very well for me. And the wife, the real wine drinker of the household, loves the output. I figured the cost to make 30 bottles of Merlot at $3.00 a bottle, compared to the normal $10-$15 she was spending. I have recently gotten lazy and selected a couple of kegs to put the wine in for long term storage and dispensing. Bottling sucks, this also allows all of the wine to age together and have the same flavor. We do not share our beer, wine or spirits with anyone out of the household so the kegs are the way to go for the beer and wine.

Thought I would pass on my thoughts on this subject.

Good luck.