logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2006 4:01:25 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I'm new to home distilling and I love it. I've done several sugar washes and all have turned out very well. Now I want to step it up a notch. Could anyone tell me how to start a fruit mash? I really want to try making some brandy. Any help would be much appreciated.
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:02:22 AM(UTC)

In order to make a fruit mash I use two cans of vintners fruit base. I make 5 gallons of wine from two cans. I adjust the fruit base to about 14% alcohol and let it ferment all the way out. I then rack and let clear. You can use clearing agents. I perferr Sparkoloid it does a great job. I then transfer about 3.5 gallons in the still and distill. I then add the middle to some of the wine to make a 50% abv. The last one I did and the first was plum and everyone that tried it loved the brandy and wanted to buy all that I had but I would not let it go and enjoyed it with friends. I still have about a little over a fifth left and am still enjoying it by myself. If you have any other questions let me know.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 12:00:20 PM(UTC)

FB, did I understand you right, you made the wine, distilled part of it and added the middle run to the remaining wine? Is that right? Sounds good.............Jimbull
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:07:34 PM(UTC)

Yes, that is what I did. The middle was very high about 90% abv and I just added this back to the wine and it gave me a pink color with a wonderful plum finish. This is just a way that I made a brandy, I guess I could have distilled it all the way out. I am planning on doing apricot next this same way.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 4:29:11 PM(UTC)

I really Appreciate the help. Do you use any special type of yeast to the fruit base?
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 1:05:06 AM(UTC)

FB, Man that sounds like a great way of doing it, will try it and thanks for sharing it with us...cheers....jimbull
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:29:11 AM(UTC)

You can use Montachet or Champange both do a gret job.