logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 28, 2003 11:58:39 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I'm just getting into distilling. I have purchased several books that claim to be definitive guides on how to distill spirits. However, they all focus on the use of reflux stills to make pure alcohol, or in one case how to adapt a reflux still to make whiskey. AS I understand it, to make whiskey, a pot or gooseneck still is required. None have plans for building a pot or gooseneck still, and none have recipes for bourbon. Any help that might be offered on how to build the still and some authentic recipes would be greatly appreciated. Directing me to a book that discusses these matters also would be appreciated. Thanks!
#2 Posted : Friday, February 07, 2003 7:34:02 PM(UTC)

There is a fairly detailed plan for a traditional american moonshiner's pot still in the first book of the Foxfire series. foxfire is a nonprofit organization that works to preserve appalacian mountian lore.
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 08, 2003 10:55:00 AM(UTC)

There are grain recipes for making bourbon at http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain.htm including sour-mash styles recycling the backset. As far as pot still designs, I havent seen a lot of information - most are built to suit the materials available on hand. What will be critical is the amount of internal reflux that happens off the lid & lyne arm. All I can suggest is that you have a good look around the photos available ,many on the same site above,, and find one that you may be able to replicate yourself. Limited pot-still design information at http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm

Tony
#4 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2004 11:58:13 AM(UTC)

Bourbon Whiskey Recipe. For my 5 gal I add 1 pkg dried apricots and 2-3 lbs soaked rye ,from feed store, soak 3 days,. Use Turbo recipe adding last lb of sugar on day 7. After distilling add about 4 tablespoons activated charcoal per qt and run through multiple layers of coffee filters. Oven char to dark brown/black on edges red oak chips ,mine is waste from chipper at the lumber mill,. 1 cup chips per quart, let set two months. Great stuff. Suggestions welcome - cause we are always working on the recipe.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2004 2:52:11 PM(UTC)

I recently made Rum for the first time, I used molasses, & sugar, After I ran it the second time, I decided to taste the end product, & it was extremely bitter, The second run came out nice & clear
around 170 proof. What i want to know is it normal for it to be bitter, & what can i do to make it to where I can drink it? If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 05, 2004 12:52:41 PM(UTC)

Did you run your batch through a carbon tower?
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 07, 2004 11:09:02 AM(UTC)

Thanks for answering me about the bitter rum. I do not have a carbon tower as of yet. I have ben making alcohol from corn & sugar for about 5 months. & it is always good after the third run. I just decided to try to make rum ,as my wife likes it. I have a carbon water filter that I have ben using for the corn, and it seams to help, I run it through at least 2 times. I will look into geting a carbon tower. Thanks again.
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2004 12:35:02 PM(UTC)

I know where you can buy one for $20 for the tower itself all made up plus shipping. Buy the carbon here, he wants $25. Do a google seach on distilling and his is the first one up last time I checked. It comes in 4 sections you screw together and even has your coffee filters ready to go. You also get a hanger for the tower. I put mine 2 steps down to my garage. That way I can look into it when I run it.
Whatever carbon you buy, you need to boil it 3 times. Each time stiring it and skimming the powder away so you don't have to drink it. I think what the carbon does is adsorb the fussil oils. If it absorbed the oils, you would not be able to clean it with the oven at 300 for 2 hours which burns them off. The carbon is just holding it like a sponge.
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2004 12:38:12 PM(UTC)

By the way, I only distill once and do one carbon run and I don't mind the taste at all.
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 08, 2004 2:19:01 PM(UTC)

Thanks again I E-mailed them about the tower, I hope that it is the same one you were talking about, the price is a little higher, but what the heck as long as it works. You have ben a lot of help. Just got through with a moon run, need to cut it. Thanks again.
#11 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2004 12:16:17 PM(UTC)

Does someone know if it is alright to use glued PVC pipe to make a carbon tower, I have a good bit of it & was thinking about useing it?
#12 Posted : Friday, September 10, 2004 12:37:16 PM(UTC)

... make sure that the glue is both food grade and chemical tolerant.
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 30, 2005 5:58:33 AM(UTC)

I've had a lot of luck taking my 'green' whisky and aging it in oak chips and charcoal similar to what John suggested. I use two cups of medium toast oak chips ,available at http://www.brewhaus.com, along with one cup of rinsed standard active wood carbon ,also available at brewhaus, with every three litres of 50% alcohol. This alone will make an bourbon like whiskey ,since bourbon is aged in heavily charred virgin oak barrells with no other additives save carmel color,. I however add a half teaspoon maple syrup, half teaspoon honey, one quarter teaspoon of vanilla extract, one half cup pulverized wild rice, a handfull of raisins and a couple of peppercorns. Adding the rice along with leaving the charcoal in with the whiskey while it ages help mellow the flavor. The rest of the ingrediants help accellerate the aging process ,by adding some of the flavours that would come from the oak if aged for much much longer. I age this concoction for two to six months. it comes out great. I can't keep enough of it on hand to supply my freinds and family.

I've heard you can toast some barley and peat and add it to the batch along with some sherry to get a 'Scotch' style whiskey, But I haven't tried it yet.

Anybody?
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2005 2:42:10 AM(UTC)

cannot be called Bourbon at all in John Privett's recipe, Bourbon has to have by law to be called Bourbon atleast 51% corn and the rest is still all grain, no silly apricots other fruits or added sugar. Also to be called Bourbon it has to be aged no less than two years in new charred white oak barrels, red oak will give it a foul taste.