logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2005 1:35:28 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Anyone have a recipe for making Irish poteen?
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 3:50:50 AM(UTC)

I have looked into this and found that the Irish will use whatever fermentables they have on hand including bread, treacle and maybe potato. It is double or triple distilled. It tends to be drunk quickly as this destroys the evidence. Some is aged.

The best I've tasted was made from the same ingredients as Irish Whisky; malted barley, unmalted barley, rye, wheat and maize or oats. They use either bread yeast or their own secret yeast which I suspect is really from a bottle of Guiness.
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:31:29 PM(UTC)

Here is a recipe. As you can see it looks like rum with hops.

Poteen From Ireland

7 lb of bakers yeast
3 stone of brown sugar
4 lb of treacle
1 lb of hops

1. Steep ingredients in 3 gallons of lukewarm water at the bottom of a 40 gallon barrel after steeping fill barrel to three quarter full with cold spring water. Leave in a cool place to settle. After several weeks transfer to your still.
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:54:23 PM(UTC)

If I were to make a batch of poitin it would be like Jameson Whiskey. Jameson's has only three ingredients: pure Irish water, malted barley and unmalted barley.The malted barley used in Jameson is dried in closed kilns to ensure a smooth natural taste. The absence of smoke in the malting process ensures that the clean taste of the malt and barley shine through in the final whiskey. Distilling creates new whiskey from the wash. The wash is heated in traditional large copper pot stills and Jameson is obtained only after three separate distillations. Each stage results in a smoother superior quality. Triple distillation is the key to Jameson's smoothness. Maturation is the mellowing and ageing of spirit in oak wood casks. Jameson is laid down for maturation in oak casks which have previously been seasoned by holding Bourbon and Oloroso Sherry.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:48:01 AM(UTC)

This is a recipe for poitin on Homedistiller.org there are lots of good ideas there and you can down load the site for off line reading.

This is an 1842 recipe for poitin ,pronounced Pah-cheen, - I have modified it for modern 'ease-of-use'
boil 5 gallons of water and pour it over a mix of ten pounds of rolled oats ,unflavored oatmeal, that has had a pound of 6 row barley ,ground, and mixed in to it.
Allow this to sit until it is cool enough to add yeast, then add a dry ale yeast and 15 drops of liquid beano ,or three of the pills,. When you add the yeast/Beano enzyme to the cooled mash the stuff may be thick - like stiff oatmeal- don't worry. The yeast breaks it down with the beano as it is fermenting. Within a day it will be a liquid with grain floating in it.
ferment until dry
double distill in a potstill.
Don't age, drink it white.
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2005 12:59:28 AM(UTC)

I noticed that you mentioned to distill in a potstill. I'm would assume using a reflux type still would remove all the flavor?
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:48:32 AM(UTC)

Generally yes! But you could use a reflux still if you managed it properly. If you think about how many 'plates' a potstill represents then you could adjust your column to give you those similar results. Most Bourbon distillers use a column still but they tap off the 'white dog' or unaged whiskey from a certain point on the column to retain the flavors they want.

Homedistiller.org talks about whiskey from a reflux still. It has good information.

,If you don't understand the concept of a 'plate' then you should read about it at homedistiller,
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:35:09 AM(UTC)

I made whiskey in my reflux still by taking all of the packing out of the tower and not doing any reflux. It would have been nice to have had a shorter tower but it turned out good enough.

I also found that I could put botanicals in the empty tower and make Gin! I used neutral alcohol diluted with distilled water in the boiler. It came over with such a strong flavor I diluted the finished product with more alcohol. Cheers!
#9 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2005 4:32:41 AM(UTC)

What was your flow rate after taking out the packing? With packing it's 10:1 or about 1 to 2 drops a second.
#10 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2005 5:11:24 AM(UTC)

I didn't really measure it. I calculated the amount that I was going to collect as if I was using a pot still with a doubler. As soon as the pot was boiling I started getting drops. It got fast enough at one point that it was like a stream. Since I was just letting it flow I turned down the heat to slow it a bit. When I got what I calculated was the body, I then collected tails to be used in a reflux run for vodka. I will need to do another run like this and do some measurements. I found that the top of the column was hotter then usual and I needed more cooling water. The proof collected droped like a pot still just not as fast because I was still getting about two or three plates ,rough guess on my part, Cheers!
#11 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2006 6:45:59 AM(UTC)

you should really distill at least 3 times to get rid of poisons
#12 Posted : Monday, January 02, 2006 11:19:27 AM(UTC)

I had a go using potatoes with a little malt for the enzymes. As there was only about 10% malt it was left to mash for about 10 hours. With one run through the pot still I had something that tasted like mashed potatoes and vodka. Strange but ok!