logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2005 5:55:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I recently had a friend bring some of this Grog to me from the Cape Verde Islands. The call it moonshine there but the taste is something special, very unique. I was wondering if anyone might know a recipe for this stuff. I know they use sugar cane but thas as far as my knowledge goes.

Thanks guys,
#2 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2005 4:57:00 AM(UTC)

From my reading, the grog that was issued to British seamen in the days of the tall ship was nothing more than watered-down rum. I read the ratio once but I no longer recall that info
#3 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2005 9:52:04 AM(UTC)

This stuff was definately not watered down rum. Like I said, they called it moonshine and it had a punch to it. I know they used sugar cane to make it, but that's as far as I have gotten.
#4 Posted : Monday, August 08, 2005 7:33:14 PM(UTC)

Got the recipe from a friend if anyone is interested email me and I will fill you in. The stuff is pure sugar cane juice RUM they call it Grog.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 09, 2005 1:27:00 AM(UTC)

Greg, how do I email you for the grog recipe? I believe your friends only call this grog, as traditional grog is watered down rum. I'd still like to see the recipe. [email="Adrso2
aol.com"]Adrso2
aol.com[/email]
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 09, 2005 9:46:07 AM(UTC)

I will just put it in here. These folks are in the Cape Verde Islands and yes it is Rum ,now very watered down though,. At any rate, you will want to press sugar cane to extract the juice, once you get about 5-6 gallons toss in a few of the splinters from the crushed cane. Allow this to sit 7-10 days siphon off the top and distill. stuff is very nice!