logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2005 5:56:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

im developing a new product- and need help coming up with a fermented sugar 'wine' with as little ,or as neutral, flavor and as high a proof possible. ill be making this in 1gallon batches. i want to use granulated sugar. can anyone help? thanks in advance!
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2005 11:39:40 AM(UTC)

Now Im Fairly new to this here board..And will as usual overstep my bounds..If so Will you Ol timers please tell me I am...
But In my opinion what your asking..Is a simple sugar wash.. You can only ferment so high a ''Proof'' Hence why these damn Americans came up with the reason for cooking the crap...1 gallon.. I just cant do the math... Granulated sugar is all anyone uses... Less of course ya haul for ''Sweetners Plus'' LOL and a smiley face on that one....Ya see it typed and said so many times ya loose count But them words are Turbo Yeast... Yea bite the bullet and buy some of em from Rick ..The damn things work...
The ''Proof'' you refer to depends on your still NOT your wash/mash... The quantity of the ''Proof'' is another story...Use good Turbos..Follow the damn directions...and forget the Voo-Doo and Hocus Pocus...
Bottom Line is your cooking Yeast Chit...Thats all it is...How much chit can your yeast live in..Well Hence see above TURBO example...
As ya Can tell I am sampling some Yeast Poop this evening..
Gentlemen we is cooking Yeast Chit... Not landing a man on the moon...
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2005 4:44:33 PM(UTC)

I will have to agree with Doc on this one, but if you are really in a pinch, you can get by using just sugar, water and a small amount of tomato paste to make a nice clear, neutral wash. This can be ,1,distilled in the conventional manner, or ,2,frozen in your freezer and subsequently thawed at room temp. By collecting the first half of the 'thawed' wine ,leave the clear ice in the first bottle, you will have removed much of the water. You now have a fairly high abv beverage, and you will have produced almost no methyl with this method!
One gallon is hardly worth messing with, but you can do it. Just disolve the sugar in the water ,NO MORE than 2 pounds/U.S. gallon, and add a small amount ,approximately one half to one TEASPOON,of tomato paste, mix well and when cooled, pitch your yeast. While almost any kind of yeast ,baking yeast, etc., will work, you will get varied results ,not always good, so stick to a good wine yeast. If you do have a choice and can get it, then use the Turbo yeast and you won't even need the tomato paste to make your 'sugar wine'. I have actually made some very pleasing tomato wine, before graduating on to properly distilling it into a very acceptable Vodka.
Ah well, enjoy, after all isn't that what we all wanna do?
SpiritMaker