logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2004 5:42:23 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

use a heavy gauge plasic carboy internal heater,and copper line.simply put internal heater into carboy add mash,fruit. put plug rubber used for airlock into top. of the carboy use 3/8inc copper line about 31/2 feet. leave about 5-7inc. to put in rubber plug.then coil the copper tubing yn four inch coils looped overslightly and down. leeave about 8inches to go into container. use a gal. glass jug for container. should be able to find one at the groc. store with apple cider or bar b que sauce. Any gal. glass container willl work then put end of copper line in glass container.plug in internal heater. Then your COOKING AND FOR CHEAP.
#2 Posted : Friday, January 07, 2005 8:58:31 AM(UTC)

The theory behind your post is one of pure distillation, but i would be skeptical using that for the finished product, as it would be difficult to monitor and differentiate between the foreshots, the heads and the tails. I also, see no refrence to any type of tempature monitoring of the distallate, which adds to my concern.
Without monitoring the tempature, you will have no real way to know when the foreshots, containing all the nasty elements like the metanol and other crap possesing a lower boiling point are done exiting to when the ethanol is coming out. The foreshot amounts can be estimated with a mathmatical formula, but to do this you need to at least know the base % raw alcohol in the wash. I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on that. Also, using the wrong type of fruits, especially those high in pectins like raspberries and grapes will produce considerably more methanol than a pure sugar, yeast and water combination. Basically, this type of pot still, used in the manner described, may be ok for the 1st stage distillation, but i wouldn't drink the finished product on a bet.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2005 7:29:00 PM(UTC)

Skeptics. You obviously know nothing about pot distilation.The temp. is low so that bad things like volitiles don't make the evaporation, besides I am not dead yet.Your not seeing how it all works/firs you use the right yeaste.Pot yeaste,then you make sur you don't excede 50 degrees celcius. This is pure distilation.Don't argue whith science.Your concern is obvious, but resaerch first.
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2005 2:05:00 AM(UTC)

Skeptic? Not really. Last time I checked, the boiling point of ethanol ,the desired product, was 78.4 degrees celcius. Obviously then, a tempature of 50 degrees celcius must not only be reached, but exceeded. Also, here in reality, isopentanol and 2-methyl-1-butanol, isobutananol and n-propanol and small amounts of other alcohols, aldehydes and esters are all by products of yeast fermentation. Coincidentally, they are all unwanted in a distillation, bad for drinking and YES, they all possess a boiling point lower than ethanol, making them Volitle and subsequently present in your early stages of distillation if not discarded. The yeast selection is important in overall yeild of raw alcohol in your wash, as certain strains are more tolerant to alcohol, and can produce more before being killed off. This has little to do with the congers and VOLITLES produced however. The main area of concern is, as mentioned earlier, is in the pectins. Any plain sugar, water and yeast wash will produce no methanol. This is not withstanding other undesireable compounds. However, any fruit based ferment will produce foreshots containing methanol. Grain mashes will also produce some methanol, although not as much as fruit mashes.
I am not argueing with science here. These are recognized facts that, if not followed, may not kill you, but will definately effect your finished product's quality. Anyone can get a buzz drinking rot gut moonshine or mouthwash for that matter. If you want something of at least semi-quality. I would take what I said, into a little consideration. If nothing else, discard the first 20 ml of distallate in a 20 liter run.
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2005 2:59:00 PM(UTC)

Allright i admit that fruit mashes contain some vollitals,however do your math on pure pot yeaste,the good stuff not a cheap imitation.this yeaste is safe to make 100liters of wine.Unheard of whith plain turbos.this yeaste can accually make a good drinkable undistilled brandy of 20 to 25% alc. I've done it simply by heating it to 38degrees celcius and venting the vollitals away,yeaste strain are abundant even plain lavlinchapaign can make 19% alc.if the sugar is added correctly.and is perfectly harmless as port or sherry.yeaste strains have to be investigated,I've found if it's cheap and sold in 5 pound bags stay away from it but pot distiller's yeaste is sold in 20gram packages for about 6-8%,this is good yeaste,aND VERY SAFE.So don't compromise for cheap yeaste. Goodluck brewman34
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 19, 2005 6:42:50 AM(UTC)

A public fourm, is a public fourm. I personally enjoy reading all that everyone has to offer because i admittedly am far from expert. Keep 'em coming.
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2005 2:59:03 AM(UTC)

Thank you for showing an interest in my, not always the best suggestions,I had hoped that this arguement that i got into wasn't what i had to deal whith.I am no expert, only an intelligant person who knows the princeples.I do enjoy the feedback and some have really enjoyed the suggestions.Thankyou for your interest.I will remain on the forum. Sincerely Brewman34
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2005 1:21:28 AM(UTC)

The whole idea of pot stills is to retain the impurities that mr spirit fears. rum whiskey rye brandy tequilla sometimes even gin and vodka to a lesser extent are all impure drink that retain flavors. Only gin vodka everclear or neutral spirit for blending and liquer making require or benefit from the purity mr spirit seeks. thanks for the cheap pot still idea seems a lot like amazing still pioneered by thirsty swedes I think. As to making cuts stills operated for several centuries with out accurate thermometers and people relied on things like smell and taste and experience to know when to make cuts. those are still valid methods temp is just another referance or indicater used in conjunction with the already mentioned tried and true methods. to cut tails some still use flamability test. temp taste smell apearance ,cloudiness,texture or feel to the fingers bubbles when shook flamability alcometer reading volumes experience even sounds of the gear all are valid indicaters used by operators. I reject mr spirits comments as too narrowly focused. valid concerns but just a narrow yet valid methodology applied too broadly. It may be a valid method with consistant wash and neutral spirit as the goal but that is not always the case. Even those who focus on temp should become familiar with all the other indicaters that lead to timing cuts. If you have ever consumed comercial distilled spirits chances are you have consumed similar impurities to the ones a setup like this may let over. Aging and exposure to wood burnt wood and charcoal particularly oak wood or maple or activated charcoal will often reduce impurities to less objectionable chemicals or remove them with filtration absorbtion.
#9 Posted : Friday, September 09, 2005 2:53:16 PM(UTC)

Uh, Brewman33 ,Steve?, just what is pot yeast and where can I get some? I had an 'Amazing Still' and loved it, but it didn't last ,the submersable heater burned out, so I would like to build a 'better mouse trap' too! I really like the freedom that system gave me. Fill it, start it and forget it for a couple of days ,well not really, but it didn't require the constant attention a regular still does to operate,! The problem I have found with low temp distilling is exactly what Mr. Spirit said, I can't seperate the undesirables from the good stuff either. Maybe your idea would be the answer if I could find a way to discard the first bit and stop collecting when it begins to tastes watery. But if I can't, then I need something that dosen't produce methyl and what you describe sounds like the solution. Where can I get some of this 'Pot Yeast' of yours. I normally use either 'Prestige Vodka Yeast' of 'Turbo48' from Brewhaus, but if there is something else out there that does a better job, please share it!
Thanks
Spirit Maker
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 10, 2005 4:14:56 AM(UTC)

I take it that the whole concept behind the Amazing Still is that alcohol,s, evaporate faster than water, right? If you pulled off the first 3%, wouldn't that catch the foreshots? But how about the tails?
I have never been terribly picky about shine, but I don't drink so much as to give me a hangover anyway. As long as some old shiner did not use lead in his pipe joints, or run it through a car radiator, it did the trick. So far I have not fared too badly, and as far as brain cells go, it is survival of the fittests ;-D
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:51:03 PM(UTC)

Louisianacountryboy, I love your philosophy man! I still have most of my grey matter too ,I hope, and I'm not a heavy drinker either, but I do want to avoid making something that only an idiot would drink. Actually, the question you pose is a good one ,your 3% rule, but I wonder if that would be enough ,or TOO much, to toss out? In any case I'm still trying to find out just what 'pot yeast' really is! If you know please tell me!
Thanks for your input,
Spirit Maker
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2005 3:12:18 PM(UTC)

How 'bout it Brewman34, aren't you willing to share the secret of 'Pot Yeast' with the rest of us? I don't think I'm the only one who is ignorant of this miricale yeast, but I'd sure like to get my hands on some! So c'mon, ante up with a little info. What is it and where can we get it?
Thanks in advance,
An interested Guest
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2005 3:22:02 PM(UTC)

Hey Brewman33, I like your concept of a simple still, but I would like to know what kind of internal heater you are talking about? Is this one of Gert Strand's modified aquarium heaters or something else? I have read of a lot of people using hot water heating elements in their still, but every one I've seen is rated at 1500-2400watts, and that would probably be way too hot for the kind of still you are describing. Also, how would you run the electric wire into that very damp environment without shorting out the whole neighborhood? So, whatcha got in mind? I'd love to hear from you cause this sounds like a really good idea if we can overcome what appears to me to be a couple of problems!
Thanks
Spiritmaker
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:48:55 PM(UTC)

I have used the pot distillers yeast from Brewhouse with very favorable results. It has a pretty high yield without bad aftertastes. You can see it at
http://www.brewhaus.com/Turbo-Yeast.asp
I make cheap wine from it for my wife using grape juice concentrate. She loves it because she says it tastes 'just like Mad Dog' ,As you can see I did not marry her for her taste or culture,;-D
#15 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2005 4:09:17 PM(UTC)

Hey Louisanacountryboy, ,whooee, I get writers cramp jis typin all that!, thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure just what 'pot yeast' is, now I know. Actually I already have a 23 gram pack of Prestige WD yeast that I got from Brewhause. I guess this is what yer talkin 'bout? I'm planning to make a lil 'corn squeezins' with it next week. Would you give me yer recipe fer yer cheap wine? I 'spect yer wife has better taste in her wines than me though. As I write I'm enjoying a 'snifter' of my homemade brandy 'n I'm startin ta see things I ain't so sure about! Boy this stuff is GOOD! Oh, bye th way, I made it from cheap wine.
Thanks,
Spiritmaker
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2005 1:37:20 PM(UTC)

I am not sure if the Prestige WD is the same or not. On the Brewhaus site they call it Pot Distillers Yeast, and it says it will ferment fruit or sugar mash to 18%. I know it works well with juices or home-made fruit mash. But if you are using store-bought fruit juices, make sure they don't have any preservatives. They will kill the yeast. I learned that the hard way with 'fresh' cider, which had preservatives and killed enough yeast to ferment the whole orchard.
#17 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:55:42 PM(UTC)

Hey Louisanacountryboy, thanks for the info, I checked it out at Brewhaus an it's not th same. Maybe just as good though, but I'm ordering me some of that good stuff ASAP! Also, I appreciate th warning 'bout the preservatives too.
Would you have an opinion on the heat source 'Brewman' ,Steve Howard wuz yalkin about? PLease see my question above. He hasn't replied yet ,I reckon maybe he hasn't been reading this forum lately, so I didn't get an answer back from him.
Spiritmaker
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2005 5:05:06 AM(UTC)

I don't have electric heat source. I use propane and just use alot of caution.
#19 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2005 1:43:53 PM(UTC)

Louisanacountryboy, I don't think I could use propane with Brewman's plastic still either. Be kinda hard to keep it burning inside th pot! An then it'd melt down palstic anyway. Guess I'll jis hafta wait for him to answer. Hey, thanks for all yer help anyway! Yer wine recipe will make me sum cheap but good brandy i'm sure. I put some up yesterday.
Spiritmaker