logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 24, 2006 7:11:06 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I found a place that carries dried mollases. I was wondering if anyone has ever used it? If so could you tell me what amount of water to dried mollased do I need?
Thanks Jim
#2 Posted : Monday, December 25, 2006 2:10:16 AM(UTC)

Cooker, be aware what dried molasses is, I looked it up on the internet:

Dry Molasses

'Dry molasses isn"t really straight dried molasses. It"s molasses sprayed on a grain residue carrier. It"s an excellent carbon source that stimulates beneficial microorganisms. And, it repels fire ants.'

'Molasses
Sweet syrup that is a carbohydrate used as a soil amendment to feed and stimulate microorganisms. Contains sulfur, potash, and many trace minerals. Approximate analysis is 1-0-5. Molasses provides food for microorganisms and is a source of carbon, sulfur, and potash. It is a good, quick source of energy for the soil life and microbes in a compost pile, and will chase fire ants away. It is a carbon source and feeds beneficial microbes creating greater nature fertility. Liquid molasses is used in sprays and dry molasses is used as an ingredient in organic fertilizers. It contains sulfur, potash, and other trace minerals. Excellent foliar feeding material and can be mixed with other organic liquids. Use at 2-4 quarts/acre for soil application. For foliar application on broadleaf plants use 1 pint per acre. For grasses and grains still use 1 quart per acre. Blackstrap molasses is the best choice because it contains the sulfur and iron of the original material.'

'Molasses is the best sugar for horticultural use because of its trace minerals. Blackstrap is hard to find but is the best molasses because of the sulfur and iron, but any kind will work. Molasses is a carbon source and feeds the beneficial microbes creating greater natural plant fertility. Molasses also has a nice side benefit. When used with compost tea and orange oil, it kills fire ants and other insect pests. By itself, molasses repels fire ants effectively.'

Good luck, let us know if this works out. If it doesn't you can always use it on fire ants.
#3 Posted : Monday, December 25, 2006 9:32:35 AM(UTC)

Elricko:
Would there be any danger involved do you think by trying to use the dried molasses? I would imagine you can't expect the yield of true Mollases, but if you added sugar, do you think that would get the og up?
Thanks Jim
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 26, 2006 1:56:11 AM(UTC)

Jim:

I don't see anything there that looks dangerous, but I don't like the idea that it has sulfer in it. Everything I've read says to use only unsulfered molasses in rum ,which I presume is what you are making,. It also says it's sprayed on a 'grain residue carrier' I'm not really sure what that is. It might just be husk or something of that nature but personally I like to know specifically everything goes into my mash.

Adding sugar will unquestionably bring your OG up to where you want it. The last batch I made I used 15 lbs of dark brown sugar and one bottle of unsulfered molasses and achieved an OG of 1.110. It turned out excellent.

If you do use the dried molasses please let the rest of us know how it turns out. What the OG was, how much sugar you add, and how the end product tastes.

Good luck,
Elricko
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 26, 2006 4:52:48 AM(UTC)

Elricko:
You said you used 1 bottle of unsulphured molasses, what size bottle and how much water or whatever? What size of a batch was it?
Thanks Jim
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 26, 2006 8:58:28 AM(UTC)

Jim:

I used 12 oz bottle in a 25L batch. The molasses was really just for added flavor. Most of the fermentables were from the dark brown sugar. Also I used Mile Hi turbo-48 yeast.

Makes for some mighty good kill devil rum.