logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline etailleur  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 06, 2024 7:14:19 AM(UTC)
etailleur

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I'm a newbie on distilling. I bought a reflux still column from brewhaus. I'm using a digiboil with two elements 500w and 1900w. I let my 500w always on and i'm controlling the power of my 1900w with a pwm and ssr to adjust the power. I use about 5 inches of ceramic rasching rigs and two plugs of copper for a total of 15 inches of packing. I have a flow rate of 4gal/min in my condenser and my water is pretty cold. I reach around 65 and begin to collect my product until 78 and then my vapor temperature begin to cycle between 73 to 78. If I continue the variation become higher. Impossible do to a precise cut with that behavior. I red that could be caused by a packing too tight or a constant power issue but quite sure that those parameters are good. What could cause that variation ? Do i need to change the flow rate ? Usually, do we need to setup the power and don't adjust it during distilling ?

I have the same setup as this but my gin basket is at the bottom. I took it in the user manual from brewhaus.

Thanks for your help.

[img=https://brewhaus.com/moonshine-stills/reflux-still/gin-series-moonshine-still-column]reflux still from brewhaus[/img]

Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2024 2:24:39 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
To the best of my knowledge, Digiboil, Brewzilla, etc., all use thermostatic control of the heat. This means that the heat will cycle on and off, constantly altering the speed of the boil. Keep in mind that, while the liquid temperature will not change once it is at a boil, the speed at which it boils (ie. the speed of vapor production) will change. That change will make it impossible to get your column into equilibrium.