logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tulipkapy  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 3:21:26 PM(UTC)
tulipkapy

Groups: Registered

Air Lock?

"hate to ask stupid questions, all I make is likker, no beer no wine, so what is a air lock? and what is it's purpose? I have always let my mash breath, covered with a good screen and lose lid - never in the house, normally in my garage

one other question, I was told to stir my mash once a day everyday untill you cook it. is this correct? for corn mash? and for just yeast/sugar wash?

Thanks - Tulip"
Offline Fletch  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2021 8:27:30 PM(UTC)
Fletch

The airlock is a small device that allows the carbon dioxide produced in fermentation to escape, while preventing air from outside the fermentation chamber from getting in. Apparently, this enhances the effectiveness of the fermentation process, assuming that your fermenter has a sealable lid. Airlocks work by using a small amount of water in a u-shaped tubing bend to allow the carbon dioxide to escape as bubbles under a small amount of pressure.

As a newbie myself who has done 3 weeks of exhaustive research on fermenting and distillation, I don't know anything about stirring mash once per day. I know that you would stir the mixture of water, sugar, cracked corn, malted ground barley,(and possibly some alpha amylase), in a pot at between 153 to 158 degrees F for over an hour while frequently stirring. After that, you would place the mixture into the fermenter and let it cool to about 90 degrees F, stir in the yeast, and leave it alone for anywhere between 5 to 8 days. My information came from a wide variety of sources which required comparison, evaluation, and condensation to separate the fact from the fiction. It is very difficult to get a straight, consistent answer off the internet.
Offline tntc  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2021 7:26:41 PM(UTC)
tntc

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Welcome to the hobby. Only time I stir is before fermentation, seal it and leave be. Also there is a difference in a wash vrs a mash, mash you con revert the sugars and a wash is sugar plus corn or other for flavor Definately a very interesting hobby, stay safe and have fun