logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Whodat  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:03:09 AM(UTC)
Whodat

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
From a 5 gallon Mash formula ;

you will need.....
7 pounds of sugar( sugar can very depending at what abv% you want to get at...this one is very high...say at least 15%, the more sugar, the stronger it is, but check your yeast to see how high your yeast can tolerate.)
5 gallons of water
5 pounds of cracked corn or sweet feed.( This is really just for your yeast bed and flavoring so you can be playful with it. But we shall say 5 pnds for your first run.
1 tsps. of Dry distillers yeast.( you can even use bakers yeast but for higher abv..use what I say)

In a 5 gallon pot, heat one gallon of water with 7 gallons of sugar...Stir till clear...or that you notice it's not hard to move your wooden stick.

meanwhile, in your bucket, add 2 bowlfuls, of cracked corn or sweet feed. ( I personally use cracked corn,) almost to four inches of the bottom of your bucket. Have ya been stirring that sugar? good......

Your sugar should be pushing about 130% F ......If its mixed, pour it into the corn. and smell the mixer ...mmm.....next stir it....It should be just warm enough for you to smell corn and not enough to melt your plastic bucket. Add 4 gallons of water....pitch your yeast....

Cover and airlock or not....keep it at at least 67 % or face a stall...keep it as warm as you naturally can...
When the bubbles stop.....it's time to run.....This should have taken you at least 7 or 8 days...unless you have kept it a constant amazon temp for your yeast....then maybe 4 or 5 XD.....make sure you have no more bubbles...taste it.If ya taste sugar. snap that lid back on....if it taste sour, its rdy to run....

Pour all juice if you can (you don't need a hose if you are working with a 5 gallon bucket, just pour all the mash you can directly into the still except the corn, use a strainer if ya can.

At this point, we should see dead (brown) corn in ya bucket(should be on the top).....remove it. Replace your dead corn with new..the orange, or yellow corn is fine....the bottom should be yellow, almost white....this is your yeast bed...It will almost look like mac and cheese...after you have drained all the mash into your still....add one gallon of water to your bucket that has your yeast, so your babies don't die. because they will need the backset....

charge your still....

Pour your mash in...... In a 5 gallon run....you'll look for at least 4, 5 maybe 6 pints this point. It all depends on your still. Quality and quaintly is a whole different discussion ....All stills are different....this is where Abv comes into play.....Save it all, till you see the last of your faints.( I personally don't collect less then 80%)

When your done running save one gallon of backset....(less or more depending if you like the corn flavor) while this will increase flavor....it does not help in overall abv....While your yeast will be hardy (creating flavor) they will be less active, due to the high ph and abv of your backset. I just offer a starting point. You will learn over time your own temps flavors and what your yeast can handle.

Take your backset and with 7 gallons of sugar....heat it too 130 and mix, In your bucket, add 4 gallons of water. ...when your mix gets hot( but not above 110) and mixed,pour it again , back into your bucket with the fresh corn and the one gallon of water already poured into it.....mix. DO NOT ADD ANY MORE YEAST ...your little critters are thriving now...The Only thing that can kill them is HOT water. Treat your yeast as you would you...do not pour pour water past 110%f directly on them.

when it's rdy...

Charge your still......pour your mash and all collections from your first run into your still. You may have already drank one of your hearts? and that's ok. Just remember adding more alcohol and refining your booze always makes it taste better. always ....

Congrats...you have made your very own Sour Mash at this point. All you need to do is keep repeating this possess ....

I have done this process ten times in a row last year and what I realized is PH and backset played a big part and would make it harder to fermate......yet.....that 10 guys.....was my best, and I wish I woulda saved it....Sure it was taking longer to make....but the taste was unbeatable...

What it Should like;
what it looks like

Edited by user Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:59:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 7:04:01 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
as far as the different generations go and the ph gets lower, I just add crushed oyster shells to raise the ph. You can get them from any feed store. Another twist I do is add 4 TBSP smoked peated malt to get more complex flavors. Sort of a faux scotch after being on oak.
Offline Whodat  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 7:38:26 AM(UTC)
Whodat

I tend to leave my buckets alone. If I add flavor, it would possibly a low wine(say blueberry) BigGrin in my thumper. I usually have a problem with too high of a PH, with too much backset, making the water of the mash very acidic.

The pic is a 2nd gen run of this year :) And I've only used a quarter gallon of backset in it...being early in the year. I want more punch, less flavor for now LOL

Edited by user Tuesday, April 07, 2015 7:41:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline dieselduo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 8:01:04 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
the backset is acidic which lowers the ph. after each gen the ph usually drops due to the continual addition of the backset which can cause a stuck ferment that's why I add oyster shells or calcium carbonate to raise it to around 5 when it gets too low.
Offline Whodat  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 8:44:09 AM(UTC)
Whodat

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
the backset is acidic which lowers the ph. after each gen the ph usually drops due to the continual addition of the backset which can cause a stuck ferment that's why I add oyster shells or calcium carbonate to raise it to around 5 when it gets too low.

Thanks for clarifying. I just know it seems to take longer the more backset I use, and the longer the number of generations I'm on.

I personally only like only using spring water , cracked corn, sugar and yeast. And of course backset. Tap water also has calcium added into it. And my mindset would be that it might produce some offset (sulfuric) flavors. I just use less or more of backset sometimes and never really had a complete stall.

However , if I'm in a pinch, I would defiantly take what your saying into consideration. Thanks for the info. I have yet to really flavor anything. And I'm certainly interested on any passed experiences.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 07, 2015 8:45:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Poppyvon  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 6:46:44 PM(UTC)
Poppyvon

I followed this recipe exactly. I only got 80 proof. What could have gone wrong? The mash worked for 8 days bubbling strong
Offline tntc  
#7 Posted : Saturday, September 08, 2018 6:35:44 AM(UTC)
tntc

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Since you say you followed the recipe here are some things that come to mind. Did you take a gravity reading before the yeast was added and after you determined it was done fermenting, run a nice slower stream when you distilled . I actually need more info on your process before I can help you figure out the problems you occurred. Shoot me a message, more than glad to help.