logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline BCD2016  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2017 4:12:26 PM(UTC)
BCD2016

Groups: Registered

I started a recipe of:
40lbs. Cracked Corn
14lbs. 2row Barley
14lbs. Flaked Rye

That very roughly works out to about a 60/20/20 mix.

I first ran up 28 gal. H2O to approx 190 then ran it into a 55gal. drum and added the cracked corn. Temp. after addition of corn was 180. I stirred it occasionally until it reached 155 then added barley and rye. Temp read 152 and I let it sit and checked 8 hrs later and took an iodine test which still shows starch is present.

My intent if all was OK was to add enough sugar to reach about a 15% gravity after fermentation.

There are so many conflicting stories on forums about how to make a corn mash. What temp to heat water before adding corn... To cook or not to cook corn etc.

So two questions without getting too technical:

1. Is there any easy fix for the batch as it sits now? (I haven't added sugar yet)

2. What is the simplest way for future batches if using corn in the recipe to eliminate the presence of starch?
Offline tntc  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 8:51:54 PM(UTC)
tntc

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
A little high on temp for 2 row, I add in at 150. Make sure your thermometer is calibrated to correct temp, I had one that was off 7 degrees. I also use liquid enzymes and they work great, Doing all grain makes a great drop but can be a real PITA at times.
One more thing, if the liquid is not clear it can test positive when you do iodine test.

Edited by user Monday, February 27, 2017 7:57:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified