logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline FredHickory  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 08, 2017 6:20:22 AM(UTC)
FredHickory

Groups: Registered

New to the craft and still waiting on my equipment. In the mean time, I would like to get setup for mashing operations and distilling operations.

I am looking at a corner in the basement for my mashing operations. Figure I need a table, some shelves for the product, water, drain , and cleanup.

Stilling will be just outside with a table, garden hose and drainage area for condenser, and some shading from sun, etc.

If you have any pictures of your setups, I would appreciate the help.

Offline tntc  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 08, 2017 10:48:08 AM(UTC)
tntc

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hello, welcome to your new adventures. While waiting on your still to arrive I would be getting a fermentation going to use after your vinager run to clean your still. Fermenting in the basement would be fine as long as you can maintain proper temps to keep your yeast happy.As far as layout goes you will be changing as you get more involved in it. Start out where you think you want things then change as you go to make it better. For new people starting out I would recommend just doing simple washes to understand the fermenting,stilling,cuts process. I seen you mentioned about mashing,voice of experience says to wait on the mashing(all grain) till you have good understanding of the fermenting,running your still and cuts. One thing about this hobby you will find is, you acquire more things as you improve your skills which in turn you have to adjust your layout to accommodate. The thing is, it's all up to you on what works best. Be safe and happy Stillin.

thanks 1 user thanked tntc for this useful post.
FredHickory on 1/8/2017(UTC)
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 09, 2017 3:43:28 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hey Fred, In my opinion outside is not really ideal. Remember this hobby is still on the illegal side in most places. And then there's the weather, if you are using gas to heat there's the wind to deal with.
Just to be safe you better refigure your cook location.
thanks 1 user thanked heeler for this useful post.
FredHickory on 1/16/2017(UTC)
Offline AlTheChemist  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:54:16 PM(UTC)
AlTheChemist

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
To second Heeler's point.

Outside is not ideal. As you put more time under your belt in this hobby you'll find you'd more control over both your fermentation and distillation stage. This can be for anything from temperature to sanitation. The more controlled your environment the better.
thanks 1 user thanked AlTheChemist for this useful post.
FredHickory on 1/16/2017(UTC)
Offline FredHickory  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2017 12:42:08 PM(UTC)
FredHickory

Understand the privacy issue, but 1) I am 1/2 mile through the woods from our small country road, and 2) I would be quite concerned using a gas burner with alcohol around inside my house.

I am looking at excavating around the basement door area and putting in a carport and slab for this and other uses. I would have some "shielding" that way from the weather and other things as you mentioned.

What I am really looking for is what kind of setup do others have. I do this here, then I put that there kind of stuff. I'm a process-oriented guy and will make it one even though I won't be making a lot. My grain will go here, I'll weigh here, I'll ferment here, etc. This can all be done efficiently and you guys probably have that figured out.