logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rjpear  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 10:57:42 AM(UTC)
rjpear

Groups: Registered

Hi Folks,
I am a newbie to the Distillation world, but have been brewing beer for a few years now. I have been waiting to pull the trigger on the Essential Extractor Pro Series II- Complete Distiller Kit from here at Brewhaus. It looks like a well built piece of equipment as also seems to be a great price. Two questions.. Should I jump on the 15 Gal instead of the 8..I mean it's just a $30 difference and I will be kicking myself in the future if I needed bigger.. My only concern is that I probably will only be pushing 5 Gallon Batches for the foreseeable future. Is there an issue with that much headspace (10 gals on the 15 gal kettle) when distilling?
Also I like the option of the Heating bands (in lieu of a hotplate). Can I get away with a single band for the 15 or would be the way to go with 2 of them? I like the setup as I can go propane in the nice weather but bring it inside for electric fun in the winter...

Thanks for any advice...
Rob
Offline tntc  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 29, 2016 3:46:55 PM(UTC)
tntc

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hello, speaking from experience I would go for the 15 gal. I currently run the PSIi high capacity with an 8 gal kettle. Ended up buying keg to get me to the 15 gal. Can't really say on band heater, never used one. Most people have fitting welded into boiler to use hot water heater element and the others run on propane. Just beaware that if you do purchase a still ready to go your name will be on a list that you bought one. I purchased my still from Brewhaus because at time copper was so expensive that it would have cost way more to build, with that said I have never received a letter from the TTB. Good luck and Happy Stillin.

Edited by user Friday, December 30, 2016 8:27:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked tntc for this useful post.
rjpear on 1/9/2017(UTC)