logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline AlTheChemist  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 5:46:59 PM(UTC)
AlTheChemist

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey guys,

I live is a pretty urban area and the tap water quality is pretty low. With large batches, buying a bunch of 2.5 gallon spring/filtered water is getting costly and a pain in the butt.

Will a home reverse osmosis system do the job? Or does that process impart undesirables into the water?

Any other experience/recommendations?

Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2016 8:31:11 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
It will but one thing to remember...an R.O. system will remove EVERYTHING from your water. That means even the things that the wash MIGHT need. So make sure you add back the nutrient's that yeast needs to be happy and healthy. Brewhaus sell's a great product just for that.
A sugar wash needs much more than sugar, water and yeast. Hope this helps ya.......
Tim
Offline RCRed  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2016 5:57:26 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Ok, I am going to share something that I never knew about until I had a hot tub put in (or, rather, the missus insisted I put one in)... I was able to deploy a double carbon filtering system for cheap and, it comes apart for easy cleaning.

The Hot Tub people/store (or Amazon) sells a filter that takes out most the bad crapola that you don't want, and it fits a garden hose. They use it to remove minerals and other crap they don't want in the water. Mine is an ozonator system, meaning it requires very little chemical to keep the water clean and free of bacteria's. But clean water to start is key, hence the filter to fill the tub with. It came as a freebie in the starter kit, but once I read (and saw) what it did.. Whoa Boy.... :)

I then take that hose fitting to 1/4 interface (icemaker pipe) to an inline 1/4 filter (Home Creepo, 10-15 bucks, about 9 inches long and cylindrical) that is used to front end older refrigerators that didn't have inline filters in the water line.

Result is water good enough that you don't have to buy Ozarka in 5 gal plastic carboy bottles any more. And, it's all portable enough to break down and soak in a sterilization bath (not the filters, but the hardware and plastic icemaker line)

Merry Christmas

Edited by user Saturday, December 24, 2016 6:02:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: I kin n'er speel write

Offline AlTheChemist  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2016 12:46:58 AM(UTC)
AlTheChemist

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for the info guys!