logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline AlTheChemist  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:13:24 AM(UTC)
AlTheChemist

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm planning to upgrade to a 15 gallon kettle.
Would it be advisable to ferment in the kettle and distill directly form it?
I figured it would be simpler than running 3 side fermentation (with their own attenuation risks), then combining them in the kettle to distill.

Is there any risk of off flavors from cooking the lees?
Offline RCRed  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:39:53 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hi Al

IMLK, In a word, yes. Depending on what wash content you present at distill time, it could really change up your boiling points to unstable levels or outright scorch it to the point it's unusable for consumption. Unstable here means the temps of the factions are not where we think they are normally, so it can smear a lot. Also, some yeasts can impart a taste when cooked. I know I double strain all my SF or grain based washes thru cheesecloth as the boiler is being charged. Way too much love in making a wash to mess up by one simple mistake - I'm just super careful during wash assembly to keep things clean and orderly in the "kitchen".

Sugar washes on the other hand may fare better, but I am still of the mindset to filter out any solids that are not distillable when I charge a boiler.

The old school used to do the exact thing you are referring to with the torpedo or submarine stills in the mountains, but that was out of necessity and even then, they had to be really careful with heat, so as not to scorch the corn at the bottom.

Now that doesn't mean no, just that's a skill that is really something one learns o'er time, I would think.

Cheers!
Offline AlTheChemist  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:31:27 PM(UTC)
AlTheChemist

Thanks RCRed,

Useful stuff!
Looks like I'll need to go hunting for a larger fermenter.
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:50:55 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AlTheChemist Go to Quoted Post
Thanks RCRed,

Useful stuff!
Looks like I'll need to go hunting for a larger fermenter.

Not necessarily, use three five gallon bucket fermenters. They're easier to hide and store than something that is 15 gallons. And too, a 15 gallon run is a long day.

I have to agree with RCR, I don't think you will like the result's of fermenting and stillin all in the same vessel, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by user Thursday, December 22, 2016 1:51:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline AlTheChemist  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2016 12:49:42 AM(UTC)
AlTheChemist

I'm planning to use 2 1500w sleeve heaters on the fluite still. I'm hoping that leeps distillation times manageable.

Has anyone tried using an 8 gallon kettle with the fluite column? It's mentioned as unsdvusable?

I tend to not like fermenting desperate batches that have the same destination. There's always that chance they don't kick off the same and results can vary.

Edited by user Sunday, December 25, 2016 12:51:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified