logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dieselduo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2016 4:27:28 PM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Does anyone Know how long the shelf life is ? I found some in the cabinet that I bought in 2010. Wondering if it will still work
Offline CalHiTower  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 07, 2016 7:40:49 PM(UTC)
CalHiTower

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Actually, I've mashed for a very long time and never used the stuff. But, that being said, I know it works well in the mash from others...getting more fermentables, etc.

The stuff isn't cheap, but I wouldn't use it. It might be just fine, but I wouldn't take the chance. I'm guessing you haven't used it for a while for a reason...and I'm sure you're still distilling on a regular basis...?

Hope this in a small way helps...

Cal
Offline John Barleycorn  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2016 9:43:27 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hi diesel,

I'm assuming that you're using the powder that Rick sells (the BA-100). Here's what the spec sheet says:

"SEBamyl BAL 100 should be stored in a cool, dry place. Storage in unopened containers, at or below 10 C, helps to maintain maximum activity if stored over long periods. Under these conditions, activity loss after one year should not be more than 5 – 10%. Extended storage under adverse conditions, including high temperatures (>10 C) may require the use of higher than recommended dosages."

After six years at room temperature I'm guessing it's probably played out.

If you still have a lot of it & want to at least do some experiments, steam/cook a cup of rice, add some water & bring it up to 55 C, add a tiny bit of the enzyme (about 1/8 - 1/4 tsp), wrap in a towel & let it sit overnight. Drain the next day an take a gravity reading (keep in mind though, that some of the density will be from hydrolyzed starches that didn't convert). If you want a better reading, refrigerate the wort & let it clear (may take a week or so). Also, without the gluco you're likely to have a bunch of unfermentable branches in the wort.

Regardless, after such a long time on the shelf, I wouldn't plan a mash that depends on it ... no sense burning your time/money on something that is likely not to succeed.

Regards,
--JB